British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Dogs in Wellington (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/dogs-wellington-718302/)

IrishNeal May 24th 2011 9:09 pm

Dogs in Wellington

Hi there. As I am by myself (awww) and my rental allows pets - I know it's rare here but for what I'm paying for the place I should hope so, I am looking at getting myself a dog for company.

Does anyone know where I can get a Spoodle or similar from? What are the restrictions in Wellington for owning a dog? Where can I walk it? Can I leave it in the yard during the day (I work from home 2 or 3 days a week and my landlord says she will walk it on the days I'm not there).

Sorry I forgot to say i am living in Island Bay.

Thanks

Neal

simonmarkellis May 25th 2011 12:30 am

Re: Dogs in Wellington

It's worth getting in contact with your local council, ours up in Porirua have pamphlets showing where you can walk dogs throughout the area indicating areas where they can go off lead as well. They'll also tell you how much a dog licnce is and what discount you'll get for having them de-sexed and if you take them to dog training classes.

As to where you may get a spoodle, have a look on TradeMe as they always have dogs listed, but also contact the Wellington SPCA, they'll probably now all the breeders in the region and tell you whom to contact...

IrishNeal May 25th 2011 3:44 am

Thanks for the reply.

Just looking into it at the moment. Talking in the office the guys reckon it is not smart to get a dog if I move rentals it will limit my choice.

Thing is I had a dog back in Belfast but my ex got him.

Probably wait till I've bought my own place.

In the meantime I should get out and join some clubs to meet people outside work :)

N.

Woodpigeon May 25th 2011 6:45 am

Hi IrishNeal, and welcome :)

If you're missing your dog 'fix', have you thought about volunteering at the SPCA or somewhere similar? My nearest one is often on the look out for people to help with the cleaning, feeding, walking etc - usually in the mornings but they also appreciate people who can pop in at other times and give a bit of extra attention to animals who would benefit.

dicknlyn May 25th 2011 6:53 am

There's a great informative website from the New Zealand Institute of Animal Control Officers (NZIACO). It includes lots of information about dog ownership
nationwide. www.animalcontrol.org.nz

bananalana May 25th 2011 9:46 am

You can get a spoodle from any unethical breeder who charges ridiculous prices for an untested (genetic disorders) mutt. Heaps advertise on TM

Have you thought about a purebred of either breed? Or a rescue?

I lived in Welly for years with 2 dogs and always rented, never had anyt rouble

DavidLloydNZ May 26th 2011 2:39 am

Hi Neale

Here's the link to Wellington City Council dog walking areas. http://www.wellington.govt.nz/servic...e/dogmaps.html

I live in Berhampore and take our dog to Red Rocks and Macalister Park all the time.

Two other parks are listed here that may be a short walk for you - Bann St and Reef St.

As long as your dog has shelter and doesn't distrub the neighbours you can leave him in your yard during the day. There are also several Dog day care places if that's what you want too.

The SPCA is completely full to capacity at the moment and also has lots of dogs out with fosterers too, so they are definitely worth having a look at. If you adopt from them or the WCC pound (04 801 3222) then you get a discount on your registration fees too.

Perhap fostering for the SPCA might be a good step in the meantime? They might not want to hear that you are planning on moving house anytime soon though!!

Hope this is of some help
Cheers
David

Mrs Pointer May 30th 2011 7:54 am

If you want a dog fix, you can come to Papakowhai and take mine out :D

I don't know what we'll do with ours when I start working - we had a dog walker in the UK but I can't seem to find one around Porirua. There is doggie daycare but it's very expensive and they are find on their own as long as they get a run.

As much as I love walking them round the Pautahanui Inlet every day, it doesn't pay very well :p Or maybe I can become a dog walker!!

RobClubley Jun 1st 2011 1:54 am

http://www.spoodle.co.nz is a good place to start for Spoodles.

Our nutty spoodle came from Animates pet shop in Wellington.

bananalana Jun 2nd 2011 10:57 am

You guys heard of puppy mills at all?

Generally the places that provide cute 'oodles' to pet shops.

Mrs Pointer Jun 6th 2011 7:24 am

Originally Posted by bananalana (Post 9404971)
You guys heard of puppy mills at all?

Generally the places that provide cute 'oodles' to pet shops.

I have to say I hate seeing the puppies in the pet shop. I wouldn't buy a pedigree dog without seeing it with its mother. Even a rescue dog will have had a level of care you could trust once it was rescued.

It's maybe just that I'm not used to it. But then I wouldn't have bought a dog through the wanted ads in the UK either.