Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dogs in Paraparaumu

Dogs in Paraparaumu

Old Aug 12th 2006, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

leedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura about
Question Dogs in Paraparaumu

So, I've been in Wellington a whole 2 weeks now and I'm feeling quite pleased with myself - bought a car and just found a pleasant house to rent in Paraparaumu that I can move into next week and get sorted before my wife and dogs arrive at the start of September

But now I'm a bit confused having looked at the Kapiti Coast council website, there don't seem to be many places to exercise dogs and two bearded collies aren't going to keep very fit running round a small garden!!

Can anyone who lives up that way tell me if that's really the case, or are there places where you can exercise them that aren't shown on the map

Thanks, Laurence
Old Aug 12th 2006, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Shell2006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Dogs in Paraparaumu

Originally Posted by leedge
So, I've been in Wellington a whole 2 weeks now and I'm feeling quite pleased with myself - bought a car and just found a pleasant house to rent in Paraparaumu that I can move into next week and get sorted before my wife and dogs arrive at the start of September

But now I'm a bit confused having looked at the Kapiti Coast council website, there don't seem to be many places to exercise dogs and two bearded collies aren't going to keep very fit running round a small garden!!

Can anyone who lives up that way tell me if that's really the case, or are there places where you can exercise them that aren't shown on the map

Thanks, Laurence
Hiya

We were in Raumati Beach in April, where our friends live and they have two Golden Retrievers. My friend regularly takes them on the beach and although she kept them on a lead, she also let them off for a run several times and I know that one of them loves to get soaked in the sea. I will ask her by email today about rules and regulations and get back to you?

Best wishes

Michele
Old Aug 12th 2006, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs in Paraparaumu

Thanks, Laurence

we live in waikanae & have seen loads of people walking dogs on the beach, etc
Old Aug 12th 2006, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Shell2006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Dogs in Paraparaumu

Thanks, Laurence
Heard back from my friend - here's her reply:

Yes, of course there are plenty of places to exercise dogs. The beach is restricted (though not strictly enforced as I see it) during the summer to certain parts only and dogs must be on a lead on the beach during these months except after 7 pm I think it is, they're allowed off then. During the winter they're allowed off a lead all the time so long as you have control over them. And then there's Queen Elizabeth Park where we take our 2 dogs and they can run around there up and down hills (good exercise for us as well) and have a ball. We go in the northern entrance to the park at Raumati South and there are a few good tracks from there. We also walk them around the streets on a lead. Perhaps not as good as them having a good blat off the lead, but if you go far enough then ours always come back tired... like me. As we're in Raumati I'm not sure of places further up the coast.

Hope that helps! Hope to have a dog ourselves in the area - eventually

Regards

Michele
Old Aug 12th 2006, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs in Paraparaumu

[QUOTE=Shell2006]Heard back from my friend - here's her reply:

Yes, of course there are plenty of places to exercise dogs. The beach is restricted (though not strictly enforced as I see it) during the summer to certain parts only and dogs must be on a lead on the beach during these months except after 7 pm I think it is, they're allowed off then. During the winter they're allowed off a lead all the time so long as you have control over them. And then there's Queen Elizabeth Park where we take our 2 dogs and they can run around there up and down hills (good exercise for us as well) and have a ball. We go in the northern entrance to the park at Raumati South and there are a few good tracks from there. We also walk them around the streets on a lead. Perhaps not as good as them having a good blat off the lead, but if you go far enough then ours always come back tired... like me. As we're in Raumati I'm not sure of places further up the coast.

Any problems-set your dogs on the inspectors. Nobody stopped Paula Radcliffe shitting in London during the marathon (the one she was arsed finishing),use your assets to your advantage. Scenario:
' Excuse me madam,you're not allowed to excercise those dogs on this beach'!
Reply-'Rex,Pal-eat the inspector'!! You see? Easy. You have the power.