Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dogs and national parks

Dogs and national parks

Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

becky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to all
Default Dogs and national parks

Hi

Can anyone tell me about restrictions in NZ regarding dogs in national parks?

Being an avid outdoor person, we regulary take the dog walking in parks across Europe and wondored if the same is possible in NZ.

I have heard that permits are required - anyone know about these?
Can you exercise/walk dogs off lead in NZ? Ours hardly ever is on the lead unless livestock present or on busy roads.

Thanks

Becky
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs and national parks

Hi. Generally dogs are not permitted in National Pks. I believe there are a couple of exceptions ( as dogs are used for pig hunting ) - and yes you are required to have a permit. All NPs have a Dept of Conservation office, where these can be obtained. Other areas will have notice boards indicating very clearly whether dogs are permitted, dogs are required to be on a leach at all times. During the summer some beaches only allow dogs during certain hours. $200.00 fine for not removing dog poo. I would not call NZ " doggy heaven."
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

becky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to all

Hmmmm..... not what I wanted to hear.

I was hoping that it would be possible to buy permits for the parks so that we could take our dog on the many 3 day hikes/camping availiable.

I'll have to look into this further - theres no point emigrating with the dog if he's ging to be confined to the boring places! (Of course we wouldn't go without him so we need to consider this)

Becky
Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again. I would suggest you goggle the " NZ Department of Conservation " and send them an E-mail with any specific queries. Good luck.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

I " goggled " it for you

ttp://www.doc.govt.nz/

Type dogs in" search " and you'll see its not all bad news.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice

I would research the actual area you are thinking of going to, the council websites have alot of information on "Dog Control". I share some of your concerns about how free a dog could be in NZ. My sister who is living there did say about the number of flightless birds prohibits dogs in National Parks which I can understand.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 11:55 pm

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by becky667
Hi

Can anyone tell me about restrictions in NZ regarding dogs in national parks?

Thanks

Becky
Also tracks around the city. The council drop poison to kill possums so they warn dog owners to keep their pets on a leash.
Im in Wellington.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading todays paper, came across this. " Where to walk dogs ."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...jectid=3100818
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm not at all sure you would be able to take your dog with you whilst tramping in the DOC National Parks.

As previously suggested, your best bet is to contact DOC direct & also the council for the area you are to settle in.

Where can I take my dog on public conservation lands? South Island

Where can I take my dog on public conservation land - North Island
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

The DOC websites are about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard. Not informative at all. Dog walking can be great exercise and there are plenty of places to go with your dog. My arse.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Dogs and national parks

Hi there all any rules in New Zealand regarding dogs in the bush and on conservation land etc are there for a reason.

The bush in New Zealand is indeed beautiful, there is some wonderful wildlife the Tui, Bellbird etc (including kiwis in certain places) and the reason it looks so good and has these wonderful creatures living there is because of the strict controls on protecting the environment.

There are also predators in the bush that can harm these species and so the department of conservation do controlled culls with either poison or traps to eradicate them ie: the opposum and rats to name a few. Signs are always placed around the areas warning people of the danger when poison is laid.

The way this is controlled should be considered a real credit to New Zealand as i said it is why we have such a beautiful flora and fauna. The strictness of things are there to protect the same way our NZ Border is protected.

My son had a beautiful dog and he is a recreational hunter when he is home from sea. Hunting for opposum etc. He used to take his dog into the bush with him and has to apply for a permit in the area he wishes to go i am unsure if he had to have a permit for the dog but deffinatley to hunt. Anyhow one day he went into the bush with his dog and came home dogless she Tui had wandered off and was lost they spent weeks searching for her daily put posters all over the countryside and town and notified all the vets,pounds etc but sadly our Tui was never seen again. Lost? Eaten some poison that we will never know but the bush in New Zealand is very dense and nothing like the woodland areas in the UK people and animals can very easily get lost and lose all sense of direction. and often do if they stray from the paths.

Just my ten pence worth folks i will get down off my soap box now....
Cheers
Cally
[/U]
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:32 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Your dog won't be confined to boring areas - honest. But it will be different from Britain. My husband does miss just going for a hike up a mountain or something. However there are lots of beaches that allow dogs. Some ( many) have restrictions but we've found a lot of out of the way beaches where there are no signs so they get to run off their leads and play and swim.
Another thing to do is ask people in the area who have dogs where they walk them, we've found some great spots this way.
We are incredibly lucky to live on a farm with land and streams etc so if we wanted to we'd never have to take them anywhere else, but they so love the beach, we go about 2 or 3 times a week and have never had any problems with people telling us off, pretty much everyone smiles and laughs at them.
We try hard to give anyone nothing to moan about though! We have a brilliant bag called a houndbag, it comes with poo bags ( which are bright blue and very obvious!) and even a space to put the bag if theres no bin, (which is pretty disgusting really!) They will come to heel when called and if need be we can put them on their leads straight away.
You just have to be careful. But our three big dogs have an absolutely brilliant life here.