DOGS AND MOVING

Old May 30th 2018, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Northener is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DOGS AND MOVING

Hi, has anyone got any real experience with making the move to New Zealand (Auckland) with dogs and finding a rental furnished preferably (or not) around the Auckland area. People keep telling me to leave them here. I can’t believe that that Kiwis hate dogs to that point?
thanks for any useful info.
Old May 30th 2018, 10:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DOGS AND MOVING

Sorry I can't help with the actual moving of your dogs, but plenty of others have come with theirs over the years, so they'll be able to point you in the right direction of what you need in terms of paperwork, vaccinations, travel crates and a guide to costs.
I think Kiwis love dogs as much as any other western country. There are certainly plenty of them about. Unless they are very old and not in good health then of course you have to bring them with you, they are family. There are restrictions on where and when you can walk dogs on beaches, private land, national parks etc.
Your main difficulty will be in finding a rental property which allows you to have dogs. They are few and far between I believe. Furnished rentals are not the norm here as a rule but you can hire furniture until your stuff arrives or you buy new.
Use the search function for shipping pets to NZ. It has been asked in the past. You'll at least get some pointers for where to go to get the latest information.
Old May 30th 2018, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your post.
Old May 30th 2018, 10:21 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as stix says rental accommodations that allow dogs can be few and far between and you will have to get them through the process before immigration will allow them entry.
Kiwis don't hate them but you need to remember that a lot of dogs here are working dogs so are not treated as pets as such so are housed outside. Obviously with more immigrants wanting to bring pets over this will change, hopefully, but it can be difficult.
Old May 30th 2018, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Thank you for that insiders perspective. We obviously hadn’t thought out of the box enough. We will only have the 10 days they will be in quarantine to find somewhere. It now seems mission impossible.
thanks again.
Old May 30th 2018, 11:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Northener
Thank you for that insiders perspective. We obviously hadn’t thought out of the box enough. We will only have the 10 days they will be in quarantine to find somewhere. It now seems mission impossible.
thanks again.
It's definitely doable, as others have managed it. Some have delayed their doggies journey to either give them more time to find somewhere or until they do have a place. People on here have been willing to help newbies find somewhere suitable in the past.
Whereabouts in Auckland are you hoping to live...it's a big place, this in turn will be affected by where you are working and associated travel times.
Old May 30th 2018, 8:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi.

Everything is possible ....sometimes.
We emigrated back in 2004 with our two cats and believe me ,those renting out properties had some very funny notions . You'd have thought we were suggesting tigers.

I have personally vouched for someone's dogs in the past.

Several ways to go.

1 - Your pet shipper boards the dogs at their kennels until you are set up with a rental.

2 - Your dogs immigrate into NZ and then the dogs remain at an NZ kennels until you are ready .

3 - You may be able to find someone to take your dogs but I feel this would cause the pets some confusion.

4 - You find a pet friendly holiday home or motel and book that. You will pay through the nose.

With renting:
Most often dogs are kept outside the home/house with a kennel. That is the norm.
You can assure the landlord/agent that yor dogs will be kept outside.
You can offer to pay for professional cleaning services when you vacate a property.
Same for the grounds.
You can offer a premium on the rent.

It is doable. It just may take a little time and planning.

A more rural , older property is more likely to be accepting of dogs.

Note: Rental properties come unfurnished. So you would camp out a bit for a while. We did this. It is doable.

Last edited by BEVS; May 30th 2018 at 8:58 pm. Reason: edit - decided not to split other thread
Old May 31st 2018, 2:31 am
Just Joined

Ironbark is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved with 2 dogs and a geriatric cat, at the end of 2016. We arranged a pet friendly bookabach for a month in Auckland, giving us time for our caravan to arrive. Having the caravan meant we didn't have to rush into a bad rental, but we found a fantastic home in Tasman within a week which was fine with pets, and we've been here since then.

My brother's family also moved with their dog, each of their 4 rental properties said no dogs, but were happy to have their dog once they'd met him. They rented for 10 years before buying.

Best of luck.
Old May 31st 2018, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all so much for all of this great advice, information and facts that it can be done. It reassures us immensely!
Old May 31st 2018, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ironbark for the info about bookabach. Just looked it up and it would be the best solution for us at the beginning. Thanks for taking time out to help people like me. I cannot sayhow much I appreciate it. I haven’t found so many people so willing to help others find positive solutions.
Old May 31st 2018, 10:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

There is this 'dogs can come too' and similar.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Some landlords will take a separate bond for pets and any damge / wear n tear caused by them
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Brendybf is an unknown quantity at this point

We're planning on a move soon, currently have 2 dogs but may have to make the very difficult decision to only bring one - the other is getting on and I'm not sure he'll make the journey. We would absolutely plan on offering a higher bond or higher rent, we've managed on similar terms in the UK over the last few years and secured properties where the landlord was initially very anti pet!
Old Jun 9th 2018, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

We have dog friday in the office, so cant agree with New Zealanders not liking dogs
Old Jun 10th 2018, 7:32 am
Just Joined

welly_red is an unknown quantity at this point

Long time reader, first time poster!

My wife and I moved out to New Zealand last year, along with our 4 year old staffy. We used the services of Golden Arrow Shippers - Chris & the team were brilliant. Over here he was quarantined with Pet Haven in Auckland, who seemed to love having him with them, and allow visitors.

As for rentals, we found a place in Wellington no problems, although I think that was pretty lucky as the rental market was a bit nuts at the time.

We haven't seen any evidence of Kiwis hating dogs - there are loads around in Wellington. The only difference to the UK is that there are designated areas where dogs are allowed off lead, whereas I don't remember it being as strict in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.