Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A dog's life in New Zealand - (posts moved from an Immy query to keep that on track.

A dog's life in New Zealand - (posts moved from an Immy query to keep that on track.

Old Oct 29th 2014, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

BucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant future
Default A dog's life in New Zealand - (posts moved from an Immy query to keep that on track.

We went to the NZ embassy in London, that might be a bit of a trek for you but worth the effort. They we're really helpful and put us on the right track. Get there early though as there can be a wait.
My work visa came back in 10days.
Dogs, expensive to ship, and you'll be excluded from a huge chunk of the NZ good stuff, DOC (department of conservation) HATE DOGS ! If they're toy dogs that don't need big walks not a problem. If they're high energy do some research as to access.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 10:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Please HELP! Moving to Christchurch in January

To be fair, dog owners seem to manage quite well here in NZ.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 12:26 am
Just Joined

BucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BEVS
To be fair, dog owners seem to manage quite well here in NZ.
Are you a dog owner?
Old Oct 30th 2014, 12:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As I said, to be fair , many dogs and their owners manage perfectly fine here in NZ.

Can you try not to scaremonger please. It may not be your intent but that is how it can come across.

This is the NZ immigration forum . If you wish to discuss the life & restrictions of a UK dog in NZ then you are free to start your own thread on that in the main NZ forum.

edit....

These posts moved into a dog thread of their own for further discussion and to leep the Immy query clear and on track.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 30th 2014 at 1:16 am. Reason: Follow up own suggestion.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
As I said, to be fair , many dogs and their owners manage perfectly fine here in NZ.

Can you try not to scaremonger please. It may not be your intent but that is how it can come across.

This is the NZ immigration forum . If you wish to discuss the life & restrictions of a UK dog in NZ then you are free to start your own thread on that in the main NZ forum.
I'll take that as a NO then, far from scaremongering I'm telling it as it is here, I AM a dog owner and am giving these people some real food for thought. They can check the DOC website to see their policy on dogs and decide for themselves, they might also factor in local council dog policy when making their decision regarding location.

If they enjoy beach life they need to know that there are restrictions during the summer.

Far fewer camp sites here allow pets than the UK.

The attitude towards dogs here is very different here to the UK and that could have a real impact on these people.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 1:05 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I've had dogs in the UK and have dogs here and have not found it a problem in either country. I think here is much better as all dogs should be registered and you have to pay, bit like the dog licence they used to have in the UK.
The bit about part of the beach being restricted during Oct through to March is a good thing in my opinion, not that everyone sticks to it
Old Oct 30th 2014, 1:56 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A dog's life in New Zealand - (posts moved from an Immy query to keep that on tra

Originally Posted by BucksBoy
DOC (department of conservation) HATE DOGS ! ...........do some research as to access.
DOC hate what dogs do to kiwi's. Oh, that's local dogs as well as pet dogs that arrive with immigrating families. There's no DOC wide, NZ Government funded hatred of canines.

There's kiwi aversion training that DOC offer to dog owners so that the dogs don't destroy kiwis. There are other kiwi predators too i.e. cats, stoats etc etc. However, dogs can mostly be trained.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 30th 2014 at 1:58 am. Reason: predator
Old Oct 30th 2014, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A dog's life in New Zealand - (posts moved from an Immy query to keep that on tra

Had 2 dogs since I've been in nz and not had a problem with either. There are a few dog specific parks very close to my home where they
can run around and play with each other without me having to worry about them straying off or bothering non dog owners.
I take my little fella to the beach at tauranga and dont have any issues with access there, the main town beach at the mount is off limits
as thats where most go for surfing and sunbathing so I can fully understand that and it doesnt bother me, I take him there to have a run
and a good walk for me so we just park up and walk for ever up towards papamoa and back. I dont take him into the bush very often
as occasionally there are bait traps for possums and my fella doesnt know he isnt a possum so I dont want to risk it.
I think to be fair, DOC are right to restrict dogs in many areas due to wild life issues and I havent got any issues with that, its about being a responsible owner
Old Oct 30th 2014, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say I'm in agreement with JustCol on this one. We have 2 dogs currently, & have a good selection of places to walk them in the Rotorua area. Including around some of the lakes, in the Redwoods & lots of local parks & reserves. In fairness I'd say that Rotorua caters pretty well for dogs. For sure there are places where they're not welcome as well, but I've never had a problem with that. Registration is essential, but relatively affordable, & they give you free dog poo bags with that! DOC feel strongly about protecting native wildlife, again, not something I have a problem with. Maybe this is another Auckland vs the rest of NZ thing? To be fair though we didn't have dogs in the UK so can't really compare. When we lived there we worked shifts & had young children & long commutes to work so never felt that we could accommodate a dog with our lifestyle & commitments back there. Possibly if we'd had dog owning experience then my opinions would be different now. But I doubt it.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 7:23 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

We got a border collie this year, a one year old rescue from the SPCA. We live in Marlborough and there are hundreds of thousands of hectares we can take the mutt. My wife takes him horse riding (he runs along) into the high country.

NZ (at least our part) is a perfect place for dogs.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 7:28 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

BTW regarding DOC, you can apply for a permit to take your dog on to DOC land. Ask at your local friendly DOC office!
Old Oct 30th 2014, 6:28 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I understand both perspectives. On the one hand I like that play parks and most decent walks are dog free cos I hate dogs roaming round and shitting where kids play and on nice walks. On the other hand, having had a dog in the UK that was my bestie, I found owning a dog in NZ quite different. I can take her to the dog park but that's a bit rubbish for me, whereas in the UK my bestie and I roamed the Quantocks most days having a lovely time. Most dogs in NZ get left behind on family days out and you don't see them in towns and cities. Like I say, I think it's swings and roundabouts but I found owning a dog in NZ is much less satisfying than owning one in the UK but there is very little shite everywhere, which is a bonus and all towns have dog exercise areas, which is useful. I prefer not having a dog in NZ, even though I love dogs.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 6:59 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I think it comes down to where you are in both countries. I have better walking area's locally for my dog here than I did in the UK
Old Oct 30th 2014, 7:10 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I think it comes down to where you are in both countries. I have better walking area's locally for my dog here than I did in the UK
Yes, that is prolly very true! I came from having rural somerset on my doorstep, ergo the local dog park and other on-leash prescribed routes are not that special to me. But I do appreciate the dog-free walks!!!
Old Oct 30th 2014, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

no problem here we came from rural cornwall to wellingtona little more restrictive but hey its a city! now in Auckland there are so many places none beach to go and no where near playgrounds our only issue is regional parks if we go for day doggie can not come but hey we walk him 2 hours a day 1 day in garden will not hurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.