Dogs in Dunedin

Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

stuartlittle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dogs in Dunedin

Hi,
Moving down to Dunedin after three years in West Auckland, where we got familiar with the good dog walking areas (anyone interested...Glenavon Park known locally as 'dog park' and Kakamatuua beach known locally as 'dog beach').
Are there any year round designated dog parks and dog beaches in Dunedin?
Anyone else noticed that poms make up a disproportionate number of dog walkers down under?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:24 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Dogs in Dunedin

Originally Posted by stuartlittle
Anyone else noticed that poms make up a disproportionate number of dog walkers down under?
No, I hadn't noticed nor had it ever crossed my mind, but your observation may have some validity.

Sorry, I know diddley-squat about dog parks or beaches in Dunedin, or anywhere else for that matter, so I can't offer any advice in that area.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Something been slipped in your tea today HNZ? you're normally far more helpful than this!

Anyhoo.... http://www.cityofdunedin.com/city/?page=animal_exercise for places to walk your dog in the Dunedin area...
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

JoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by stuartlittle
Hi,
Moving down to Dunedin after three years in West Auckland, where we got familiar with the good dog walking areas (anyone interested...Glenavon Park known locally as 'dog park' and Kakamatuua beach known locally as 'dog beach').
Are there any year round designated dog parks and dog beaches in Dunedin?
Hey there, we live in Dunedin and have two dogs (one a recent purchase from the Otago SPCA). The beaches we take the dogs to include: Tomahawk Beach (which is just around the headland from St. Clair and St. Kilda beaches), also the beach to the north of the access track at Allan's Beach, on the Otago Peninsula and certain parts of the beach at Aramoana (out past Port Chalmers) are all great areas. I dont know about designated dog parks but I think there is one in Wakari??
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:37 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoanneD
..also the beach to the north of the access track at Allan's Beach
I personally think that one should be out of bounds because of the wildlife out there...I'm not saying you yourself are irresponsible, but unfortunately many people do seem to be. At least twice I've been out there and surfers have left their dogs unsupervised on the beach.

To the OP, the main Dunedin beach is generally good for dogs. I think they might need to be on a leash at the St Clair promenade end, but that still leave about 2-3 miles of beach.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

JoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the rough

Having seen the size of the sealoins on that beach my two dogs are kept on a lead until we are at a safe distance