dog walking

Old Apr 6th 2010, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Pointer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: dog walking

going off the thread a bit but I have to admit we were surprised to find magazines on sale for pig hunting. with sections for show us your pictures of hunted animals. definitely not the NZ version of Horse and Hound
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry but i totally disagree with the comment here...i think it is where you live is the problem. I live in Rangiora 30 mins north of Christchurch and my sister and i take our dogs every morning to Ashley river you can walk for miles off lead we meet lots of other owners. Also you have the dog park at Belfast "The Goynes" it has a pond and activities for the working dogs and its a great place to socialize your young dogs. Yes you cant take dogs to reservers as NZ is protective of their wildlife and quite right too!
North Canterbury has the Ashley river and the waimakariri river and dog owners are abundant down there on and off the lead!

Originally Posted by lizard
Basically NZ is crap for dog walking. No public footpaths. they cannot go into national parks, reserves etc. Not like the Uk at all. Very very very restrictive. If you really enjoy taking your dogs for good long walks you will hate it here.
Other people are going to tell you "bring your dogs its great" but they will not telling you the truth. This is the sad truth.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:51 am
Just Joined

keyholekate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pointer
going off the thread a bit but I have to admit we were surprised to find magazines on sale for pig hunting. with sections for show us your pictures of hunted animals. definitely not the NZ version of Horse and Hound
I actually think this is now more interesting as a thread than dog-walking! Basically, you can enjoy having a dog in NZ, but in a different way to the UK. But these magazines...
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:29 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizard
Amazing how Kiwis are brainwashed. You can take hunting dogs into national parks. Its these pitbull type creatures that end up killing the natives when they have been left by irresponsible owners. Hunters do not care about their dogs the same as some one who owns a pet dog and just wants somewhere to go for a decent hike with their dog.
Ok, pig dogs are allowed under special circumstances, you are right - like in the Ureweras. They aren't just alowed in though as a free for all and they do need special permits from Doc to do so.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Yes plenty of dog walking done by me around Rangiora, the Ashley River and Woodend beach. The best thing is Kiwi's (and expats!) pick up their dog's mess so you aren't worried where you step all the time like in the UK.
Cats however are allowed to go where they please and crap where they like - where's the logic in that? Fortunately my dog considers cat poo a culinary delight and is pleased to tidy it up from the garden!
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We also take our 3 dogs to the Waimak or Woodend and there is no issue and plenty of other dogs off the lead about In fact, when we go to the river, we rarely see anyone, let alone people with dogs

We live in an area classified as "rural" north of the Waimak, and when we asked about permission to have more than 2 dogs, or a visit from the dog licensing people, we were told it was not necessary as we are rural (we also have 2.5 acres). However, in ChCh I do know that inspections and permission for more than one dog (a so-called kennel licence) is mandatory and it is unlikely we would have got permission for three (fairly big) dogs at all in the city.....
Old Apr 9th 2010, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

fitzandindiana is on a distinguished road

Made me laugh out loud woodlea, my dog does that too, he's well fed as we have two cats
Old Apr 9th 2010, 9:59 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Yes plenty of dog walking done by me around Rangiora, the Ashley River and Woodend beach. The best thing is Kiwi's (and expats!) pick up their dog's mess so you aren't worried where you step all the time like in the UK.
Cats however are allowed to go where they please and crap where they like - where's the logic in that? Fortunately my dog considers cat poo a culinary delight and is pleased to tidy it up from the garden!
Woodlea !
Old Apr 11th 2010, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Soooooooo funny!!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
We also take our 3 dogs to the Waimak or Woodend and there is no issue and plenty of other dogs off the lead about In fact, when we go to the river, we rarely see anyone, let alone people with dogs

We live in an area classified as "rural" north of the Waimak, and when we asked about permission to have more than 2 dogs, or a visit from the dog licensing people, we were told it was not necessary as we are rural (we also have 2.5 acres). However, in ChCh I do know that inspections and permission for more than one dog (a so-called kennel licence) is mandatory and it is unlikely we would have got permission for three (fairly big) dogs at all in the city.....
As an ex Real Estate agent even in rural say like Woodend you will need a life style block for three dogs, on a normal land section permission is required from 2 dog up.

PEGASUS.
Jan and Neil we do have a new walk now just opened its at Pegasus Town follow the main Road right down to the new coffee shop/shops go over the bridge with the wet lands to your right, the gates will be open follow on till you come to the parking up keep the dogs on the leads till you hit the beach and you can still walk for miles and not see a sole. Also you can now swim in the new lake in Pegasus just look for the big bridge and you can even find lots of tables to have some lunch!!!! in the week I was the only sole and my dog went in for a dip.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice

I think it does really depend on the area. I live in Wakefield, Nr Nelson and we always find lovely walks for our cocker spaniel.
Including Jimmy Lee Creek in Richmond, which is a lovely hill walk close to town, the Hackett reserve and Whispering Falls jsut between Wakefield and Richmond and also the back beach at Tahuna, where there are always tons of dogs being walked (off their leads mostly), and if you go on a nice sunny Sunday morning it's always packed with dogs just having fun. Theres also a beautiful large reserve in Wakefield where we can take her.
Hope you find some great walks for your pals :-) good luck
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Binks is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if you have a retriever as mine also loves cat poo. In fact come to think of it she likes any poo except dog poo!!!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Binks
I wonder if you have a retriever as mine also loves cat poo. In fact come to think of it she likes any poo except dog poo!!!
I have border coll and she eats sheep poo chuck poo cow poo you name it she bloody eats it but not hers...... must say we do have some walks around Ch-Ch Burwood Forest is quite good but its not like walking for miles over the North Yorkshire Dales.....
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:08 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

We don't bother to feed our dogs, we just chuck them out into the paddock to eat cow poop.

I kid! But they do try...