British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Dog story - and what to do? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/dog-story-what-do-692863/)

Jan n Neil Nov 9th 2010 8:17 am

Dog story - and what to do?

We live quite rural - in that we live on a small estate of 3-ish acre plots but nearby are serious big farms. We have 4 registered dogs, two of whom have electric collars on to keep them in the property, and two of whom don't wander. One of those two is our oldest collie was very ill this year and needs a special diet now. He might walk onto the road but that's it - he's past his best poor sweetie.

But 2 days ago we had a guy in levelling our drive and very unusually my beloved oldest collie dog went for a small walk, probably cos of the machinery on the drive. Only onto the road, as before, but no-one noticed for a while. When I got home we realised he was missing. Like an idiot I searched under bushes and the car and all round the neighbouring farms for him. We were really upset and he was not at home last night for the first time in 9 years (even worse as we are going on our first holiday for 2 years tomorrow).

After driving round for hours between us, to look for him, Neil was contacted to say he was in the dog pound. I was sooo happy after a rubbish upset night but then it transpired that it was our own neighburs that called the dog warden.:thumbdown:

They caused me some serious stress overnight, because I thought he might be lost on a farm on something. Kiwis are not noted for being dog lovers, but SURELY they knew he was ours?? And we had our phone number on his collar. Another neighbour has told me a similar story on the same road :thumbdown:

Anyway, rant over, just gobsmacked at what they did :thumbdown:

Jan

chippy64 Nov 9th 2010 1:18 pm

Re: Dog story - and what to do?

That is sooooo mean! I have come across a few dogs wandering the streets and have always done what I could to trace the owners - knocking on neighbours doors etc. It takes a few seconds to check a collar and make a phone call.

Do they have microchipping in NZ, just out of curiosity?

Anyway, hope your dog is none the worse fot the adventure and have a fabby holiday :thumbsup:

Persephone Nov 10th 2010 12:35 am

So pleased you got him back but I am surprised at your neighbour not just calling the number on his collar. Are you on speaking terms with them? You know go over and thank them [through gritted teeth!] and casually mention that he doesn't normally do this and how you'll have to make the number on his collar more obvious;). Must admit it does seem odd, especially in a rural area where most people have dogs.
Anyway at least you have got him back safe and sound and can enjoy your holiday:thumbup:

Chippy, all dogs have to be registered with the council by the age of 3months and microchipped within 2months of this. This came into effect in 2006 so all those born after this date should be chipped. There is an exemption for working dogs.

Expat Kiwi Nov 10th 2010 12:41 am

Some people are very sensitive to loose dogs in rural areas, particularly if they have stock on the property.

I think your neighbour was making a point.

In some respects you are lucky - some farmers I know will shot dogs on sight if they come into their land when there are sheep around, regardless of where they've come from.

Charismatic Nov 10th 2010 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 8972347)

That they are cnuts? :rofl: I'm pretty sure you can get into trouble for shooting peoples dogs, even more so on public land like a roadway.

I often see dogs roaming the streets when I go walking late at night and just leave them alone. Dogs can usually find their own way home.

londonescapee Nov 10th 2010 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 8970389)
We live quite rural - in that we live on a small estate of 3-ish acre plots but nearby are serious big farms. We have 4 registered dogs, two of whom have electric collars on to keep them in the property, and two of whom don't wander. One of those two is our oldest collie was very ill this year and needs a special diet now. He might walk onto the road but that's it - he's past his best poor sweetie.

But 2 days ago we had a guy in levelling our drive and very unusually my beloved oldest collie dog went for a small walk, probably cos of the machinery on the drive. Only onto the road, as before, but no-one noticed for a while. When I got home we realised he was missing. Like an idiot I searched under bushes and the car and all round the neighbouring farms for him. We were really upset and he was not at home last night for the first time in 9 years (even worse as we are going on our first holiday for 2 years tomorrow).

After driving round for hours between us, to look for him, Neil was contacted to say he was in the dog pound. I was sooo happy after a rubbish upset night but then it transpired that it was our own neighburs that called the dog warden.:thumbdown:

They caused me some serious stress overnight, because I thought he might be lost on a farm on something. Kiwis are not noted for being dog lovers, but SURELY they knew he was ours?? And we had our phone number on his collar. Another neighbour has told me a similar story on the same road :thumbdown:

Anyway, rant over, just gobsmacked at what they did :thumbdown:

Jan

That's horrible for you :( glad he got back safe and sound. Jasmine escaped one day and we realised that she'd gotten under the house somehow but it was a frantic 10 minutes or so.

I woke up one morning a couple of weekends ago to find a Westie at the foot of my bed - husband had just taken our pooch out and this dog liked her so much he followed her home! We rang the number on the collar and dropped her back round as they only lived a few streets away.

I've found this area of Auckland so far to be doggie crazy, everyone seems to have a hound somewhere around. Our local shops and Starbucks let them inside as well.

On the microchipping she is still registered in the UK which isn't much help but apparently they use overseas agencies to maintain the pet registers so not sure what to do?

hazeandsteve Nov 10th 2010 3:23 pm

Nice that it all got sorted, however.....
There's plenty of cat owners, parents of small children, owners of stock who would all probably do the same thing.
Probably time to accept that the neighbour will never be your best mate, and just turn start the mower on that side of the house first, nice n early.

RobClubley Nov 10th 2010 5:03 pm

I called the dog warden for someone's dog once because I found it wandering in the road and was worried about it getting hurt.
It had no collar but was obviously well looked after and very friendly, but had presumably got out and gone foraging as it was covered in something like cooking oil.
If there had been a number on a collar I would have called that first, or taken the dog back if I recognised it.
Grumpy neighbours!

jmh Nov 10th 2010 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 8972347)
Some people are very sensitive to loose dogs in rural areas, particularly if they have stock on the property.

In some respects you are lucky - some farmers I know will shot dogs on sight if they come into their land when there are sheep around, regardless of where they've come from.

Having lived on a farm in NZ I can confirm that. Yes farmers would shoot first and ask questions later in the old days. I imagine this time of year there are quite a few lambs around so they are particularly twitchy.

Jan n Neil Nov 10th 2010 10:20 pm

We live about a mile from the first farm, so not quite on top of livestock, but I did take the point about him being shot hence my rubbish night.....

I think we may go and knock on the door and thank him for calling the dog pound but explain that he would have come home - i.e. the few yards to our house! if left alone. And we are going to put an electric collar on him too, though it seems mean at 12 years of age.

Bit of a twist: the neighbours are the best friends of my manager, who reports to me on a daily basis at work. Hmmmm, going to have to think about this!

Thankyou for your understanding: we didn't get charged by the dog compound as he was registered, chipped, and wearing his tag and a phone number. Staff commented that this was unusual to have so much ID in our area. Didn't do us much good though, eh.

So we got our holiday, and we are in Sydney right now waiting to see Metallica tonight :thumbsup:

Jan

Stormer999 Nov 11th 2010 7:30 am

If you have 2 dogs who don't wander and two who can't leave your property maybe the man next door saw a stray on the road obviously not yours and took appropriate action to protect the mystery animals life...?

Another scenario......when you both go out do the dogs start barking until they hear your return....?

Either ways up a sensible unblaming chat with the man could unearth a real reason and maybe a solution after all everyone tells me how friendly the Kiwi's are....or is he a Brit....:D;)

Kags1694 Nov 11th 2010 7:43 am

Hi we had something similar last weekend, we have two huskies, we also live rural, we have sheep but we have trained them not to go and play with them. We have used electric collars (unfortunately they don’t work on them anymore, coat is too thick). We have reinforced the fencing just around the house; our female dog found a gap where the fencing meets the ground and got out. We recently installed electric fencing which has worked great for the fast 4 months. My hubby had installed a new gate closer to the house, and altered a bit of the fencing (which was not attached to the electric fencing) Our female again found this out on Saturday morning, and while I was in work and my hubby was talking to my dad on the phone they escaped. He looked everywhere, couldn’t find them. About 1 hour later I got a call from the Ranger, he had found our dogs, he had received a call from a local farmer about 5 mins away to say that two dogs where bothering his cattle, the Ranger asked him if he had a gun, farmer said yes and was told by the Ranger that he could shoot them (not good). Lucky enough when the Ranger got to the farm he could see our dogs and they only wanted to play with the cattle, he whistled them and they game straight to him. They were then taken to the local shelter. We thought we could pick them up straight away, no chance (we were just happy they had been found and were a live) We were first fined £34.00 per dog, which we had to pay at the shelter and also $18.00 per day for the Shelter. We were then told that we would have to wait for the Ranger to get in touch before we could collect the dogs. The Ranger rang later that day to tell us that he had to come to our house and take a statement and then we would have to wait till Monday to find out when and if we could collect them. The Ranger arrived in the afternoon (he was lovely) took our statement of what happened and had a look at our security. He agreed that there is not much else we can do. Then we were informed that we would be fined for the following, Dogs crossing a public road $200.00 per dog and then going on to private land another $100.00 per dog so a total of $600.00 (great)
We were allowed to go to the dog shelter to see them, but we thought that we would upset them and ourselves too much.
We got a telephone call Monday lunch time to say that we would collect them, and luckily enough we only got a warming this time.
What upsets me is that we have them registered $110.00 per dog per year and also tagged we have spent over $2000.00 making our property save.

Bo-Jangles Nov 11th 2010 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Kags1694 (Post 8974926)
Then we were informed that we would be fined for the following, Dogs crossing a public road $200.00 per dog and then going on to private land another $100.00 per dog so a total of $600.00 (great)

Juxtapose both these scenarios with the lady who abandoned a two year old outside McDonalds and didnt come back to claim her for two days - they're still deciding whether the Mother will be charged.

It seems sheep are considered more valuable than children. :eek:

Stormer999 Nov 11th 2010 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 8974958)
Juxtapose both these scenarios with the lady who abandoned a two year old outside McDonalds and didnt come back to claim her for two days - they're still deciding whether the Mother will be charged.

It seems sheep are considered more valuable than children. :eek:

Was that a two year old sheep, dog or child...?:confused:

Bo-Jangles Nov 11th 2010 8:29 am

Child

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4330...ll-in-CYF-care