Reload this Page >

Dog relocating to New Zealand

Dog relocating to New Zealand

Old Apr 10th 2020, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Aure23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dog relocating to New Zealand

Hi everyone !

I would like to get in touch with people who travelled to New Zealand from the UK with a dog (or anywhere in the world, I just want to have some testimonials of personal experiences, good or bad).

Actually I have a job offer in New Zealand (in Auckland), and having no family left, my dog can not stay behind (and I would still want to take her with me), to be honest the only reason I am reluctant to accept the job offer is because my dog will need to travel by cargo, so I wanted to get in touch with people who relocated their pet (successfully or unfortunately not) to help me see thing clearer and make a decision

to make it clearer the job would start in January/February, so hopefully the whole situation with the covid-19 will be a bad memory (hopefully)

I already have the informations regarding costs and quarantine. All I am looking for if tesmonies of people relocating with their dogs and if it went well or unfortunately, bad (injuries, animal lost during transit, etc)

thank you

Thank you for your help
Old Apr 10th 2020, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog relocating to New Zealand

Originally Posted by Aure23 View Post
Hi everyone !

I would like to get in touch with people who travelled to New Zealand from the UK with a dog (or anywhere in the world, I just want to have some testimonials of personal experiences, good or bad).

Actually I have a job offer in New Zealand (in Auckland), and having no family left, my dog can not stay behind (and I would still want to take her with me), to be honest the only reason I am reluctant to accept the job offer is because my dog will need to travel by cargo, so I wanted to get in touch with people who relocated their pet (successfully or unfortunately not) to help me see thing clearer and make a decision

to make it clearer the job would start in January/February, so hopefully the whole situation with the covid-19 will be a bad memory (hopefully)

I already have the informations regarding costs and quarantine. All I am looking for if tesmonies of people relocating with their dogs and if it went well or unfortunately, bad (injuries, animal lost during transit, etc)

thank you

Thank you for your help
Can't help with that but here another thread https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-...-uk-nz-929781/

I suppose the next challenge would be finding places that actually allow dogs. Depending how big the dog is would you need a garden etc.?
Old Apr 10th 2020, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your comment I will have a look on that threat.

well at the moment my only concern is to know If companies are serious for this type of travel, reading a lot of awful stories on the net, I at first really happy to receive a job offer but I am now really reluctant, as I am really afraid that my dog will get lost in transit, injured or something else.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Ironbark is an unknown quantity at this point

I used Golden Arrow to fly my dogs (aged 6 and 1) and cat (aged 14) to NZ. They came with Emirates, so get a stopover at the pet centre in Dubai. Quarantine was in Papakura, before we all relocated to Tasman. Animals had no trouble at all with the journey, and we found a pet friendly rental within 5 days. My brother had a similar experience with his dog, they're in Auckland.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Oh thank you very much for your story. It’s really reassuring compared to the horror stories I can read on the internet.

would you mind if I contact you by private message to ask more questions ?
Old Apr 10th 2020, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Ironbark is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh thank you very much for your story. It’s really reassuring compared to the horror stories I can read on the internet.

would you mind if I contact you by private message to ask more questions ?
Of course 😃
Old Apr 11th 2020, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much I sent you a message
Old May 1st 2020, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

shuvit is on a distinguished road

Hi, we moved in 2017 and brought our 2 k9 boys over (along with our 3 children, but this isn't about them )
Our eldest boy was 11 at the time of moving, the youngest was 7
We had so many conversations about leaving our eldest with a family member as we worried that the journey maybe a bit too much for him, but decided against it, they are part of the family and we had never ever used kennels before other than for the odd weekend we may have done a city trip they have always been with us
Anyways, we decided that bringing both boys with us would be the better option, our eldest boy had started to have some joint problems 6mts running up to us leaving, his old age was catching up with him but medication was helping not to slow him down
The transfer went well, they arrived in Auckland and we drove down to Wellington the day we collected them
We were together, the boys loved being with us, our eldest was like a pup running around in our new big garden and going down to the beach, however 9mts following our move he got quite bad were he was unable to use his back legs and we had to make the horrible decision of letting him go
Do I regret bringing him over, no - even though it cost an arm and a leg
Would I do it again, in a heart beat
If the dog is a part of your family, as far as I'm concerned it would be better for the pet in the long run to bring them over
Old May 2nd 2020, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your message it’s very reassuring.
mine will be 3 when the journey will take place. She always travelled with me (train, ferry) so I am a lot worried about having her taking the plane on her own.

i am sorry about your dog passing away. I am sure he felt really loved his whole life with you.
Old May 2nd 2020, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

shuvit is on a distinguished road

i am sorry about your dog passing away. I am sure he felt really loved his whole life with you.
Aaww thank you - you won't regret it - good luck for the move
Old May 4th 2020, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

ldn29m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

I can advocate for Golden Arrow as I had friend use them to and the dog arrived happy and healthy :-)