Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dog friendly rental (Wellington) HELP!

Dog friendly rental (Wellington) HELP!

Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Sophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant future
Default Dog friendly rental (Wellington) HELP!

Hi Everyone,

I've just heard word back from a rental agent that 99.9% of landlords will not allow a dog and to be frank, I'm beginning to panic a little. We arrive in Wellington on 14th September and have a beach-house for a few weeks, but following this our shipment arrives and we will need to find a rental pretty quickly.

Can anyone tell me about their experiences with finding a dog-friendly landlord? We want a high standard of property (not that difficult to find in the UK with a dog) but I'm concerned now if we'll even find anything, or we'll have to take some dated hovel!! :scared:

Does anyone have the details to a dog-friendly rental they stayed in when they first arrived? I'd be really grateful if peeps could ask around for us... we'll obviously keep our eye on the Dominion Post, but as the vast majority wont take dogs I'm a 'little' nervous.

We don't have jobs yet or we could buy right away instead.

Thank you for your help fellow Expats, and cu soon if ur in Welly!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dog friendly rental (Wellington) HELP!

Originally Posted by Sophie_Wellington
Hi Everyone,

I've just heard word back from a rental agent that 99.9% of landlords will not allow a dog and to be frank, I'm beginning to panic a little. We arrive in Wellington on 14th September and have a beach-house for a few weeks, but following this our shipment arrives and we will need to find a rental pretty quickly.

Can anyone tell me about their experiences with finding a dog-friendly landlord? We want a high standard of property (not that difficult to find in the UK with a dog) but I'm concerned now if we'll even find anything, or we'll have to take some dated hovel!! :scared:

Does anyone have the details to a dog-friendly rental they stayed in when they first arrived? I'd be really grateful if peeps could ask around for us... we'll obviously keep our eye on the Dominion Post, but as the vast majority wont take dogs I'm a 'little' nervous.

I too, am arriving on 14th into Wellington. I am staying with family to start with and was hoping to find a rental for a few months until my husband arrives and we buy in Bay of Plenty. Our dog will stay at home until I have a rental sorted - I thought it was going to be easy - you have worried me now!! I wanted to get her out with me as soon as possible. I'll be looking for a large 4+ bedroom property - I hope we won't be fighting over any!!

Liz & Co
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
I too, am arriving on 14th into Wellington. I am staying with family to start with and was hoping to find a rental for a few months until my husband arrives and we buy in Bay of Plenty. Our dog will stay at home until I have a rental sorted - I thought it was going to be easy - you have worried me now!! I wanted to get her out with me as soon as possible. I'll be looking for a large 4+ bedroom property - I hope we won't be fighting over any!!

Liz & Co
we're an hour out of welly but i'll keep my eye out for both of you , will pm if i find anything

i'll look in morning bit tiddley at mo

Last edited by poppets; Aug 25th 2006 at 10:10 am.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Sophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Dog friendly rental (Wellington) HELP!

Liz & Co
Hi Liz,

It's a bit un-nerving when you get a message like that from a rental agent isn't it? *eek* Don't worry there'll be no guns at dawn for a house, we are a childless couple and four beds is a little too large for us, but if you do heard of a large two bed with a rumpus and large lounge, or a 3 bed, that would be excellent. Perhaps we should take each other's mobile numbers and text one another if we see anything, since we're searching at the same time?!

Poppets, would be MOST grateful if you could keep yor ear to the ground, I just hope we find something before the shipment arrives or we'll be homeless AND paying storage charges. Oh joy, whoever said emigrating was easy...?!! I'm sure it will work out fine for us both Liz.

Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

davec987 will become famous soon enoughdavec987 will become famous soon enough

Hi Sophie,

Hope you have some luck getting a rental where you can have your dog with you (love the photo, so lovely).

I grew up in Wellington till I was 24, been living in the UK for the last 10 years now. Heading back to Wellington in June next year to live with my english girlfriend.
NZ isn't as dog friendly that's for sure, I don't know why people are so opposed to renting houses out to people with dogs?

Can't wait to we get over to NZ so we can finally have a dog ourselves

Anyhow, hope you find somewhere.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:16 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

I've only looked a cost of rentals, didn't realise homes that allow mutts were that hard to find. Does anybody know if the situation is the same on the southern outskirts of Aucland?

Adie
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

davec987 will become famous soon enoughdavec987 will become famous soon enough

I think you'll find it pretty much the same all through NZ.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:47 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by davec987
I think you'll find it pretty much the same all through NZ.
Try sending a PM to "cottage in the sky" she's a Real estate agent in Wellington and very knowledgeable - plus she has contacts in rentals.

We're going to the Bay of Plenty with 2 dogs and have realised this is a problem. What we have decided to put the dogs in a local boarding kennels to wherever we end up renting. They will be cared for and walked, whilst we run around like headless chickens. We will look to buy asap, once we know the areas.

The friend my MIL emigrated with in the 60's who stayed (and is in Wellington still) is in the UK at the mo. She told MIL the dogs would be our biggest problem with accommodation.

When we were over in NZ this year we noticed the distinctly lower number of dogs - mind you we saw a few very early in the mornings being walked, so maybe they're just not out in the day!!

The kennels we use here recommended when we do arrive & the dogs get there, take them to a local vet in the first week to see if they need any vaccinations for NZ that they may not have needed here or for export - you never know.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Hi Everyone,

I have a feeling that rental agents would not even consider asking landlords if pets are ok, as they probably would not want the responsibility if something gets chewed, scratched or... worse! It will be easier when you are here and can speak to landlords direct - there are loads of rental properties advertised privately, many of whom will be pet owners - I have heard of tenants paying an extra deposit/bond in case of pet damage. I've also seen ads saying 'pets accepted', although can't guarantee the property quality - I'll have a look if there any in today's Dompost.

I was staying in a Palmerston North motel last year next door to an English couple with a 4wheel drive and 2 Irish wolfhounds - they were desperately trying to buy a house quickly but, in the meantime, were living in motels and the dogs were sleeping in the car. One Patterdale Terrier is one thing, two Irish Wolfhounds ... now that is a big ask!
Old Aug 26th 2006, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

leedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura about

Hi Everyone,

Don't panic....I've been in Welly for 4 weeks now. First 3 weeks I'd booked a holdiay let in the city, but last weekend I moved into a 7 year old house in Paraparaumu....just in time for my two beardies to arrive next weekend.

Looked at some fairly glum places close to the city centre that would take dogs, but got shown two nice places on the same day by the same agent: Ray White, 26 Maclean Street, Paraparaumu Beach, Paraparaumu
phone 04 298 5153 fax 04 297 0517 email [email protected] web www.rwparaparaumu.co.nz

I admit that Paraparaumu is further out than I intended to live, but the train service is quite decent (the locals seem to complain, but they don't know when they're well off! ) and you get a lot more house for your money - more than makes up for the cost of train fare.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jac&Adie
I've only looked a cost of rentals, didn't realise homes that allow mutts were that hard to find. Does anybody know if the situation is the same on the southern outskirts of Aucland?

Adie
Its bad in on the Northshore of Auckland..it took me ages to find a rental for two small (Spaniels)OUTSIDE dogs when I lived in Auckland.A lot of landlords are worried about potential damage to their property and have a no dogs policy.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Liz & Co
I've come across a dog friendly rental in Waikanae - 4 beds, pool, double garage, in hills above Waikanae with sea views - $500 a week - if it's of interest, let me know. Available probably within the month.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
I've come across a dog friendly rental in Waikanae - 4 beds, pool, double garage, in hills above Waikanae with sea views - $500 a week - if it's of interest, let me know. Available probably within the month.
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your kind words of advice - unfortunately me and my OH work full time and will definitely be working in the CBD, so we will need somewhere closeby that I can get back to the house in my lunch hour - looking around the South East bays somewhere, Island Bay, Hataitai would be nice, but anywhere that's of a good standard (and not in Newtown or the Hutt), we will consider.

I'm trying to stay calm, we have a beach-house for the first four weeks (we arrive in just over a week by the way)

Can't wait to come regardless, we will find a way to make it work with the pets - am considering just trying private landlords rather than agents - can anyone tell me what the deal is with dodgy landlords in NZ? Should I be careful about which type of lease we get, and how do I check our 'bond' has been lodged with...now who was it....

Did anyone suffer from short-term memory loss during the big move? lmao.

Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:44 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your kind words of advice - unfortunately me and my OH work full time and will definitely be working in the CBD, so we will need somewhere closeby that I can get back to the house in my lunch hour - looking around the South East bays somewhere, Island Bay, Hataitai would be nice, but anywhere that's of a good standard (and not in Newtown or the Hutt), we will consider.

I'm trying to stay calm, we have a beach-house for the first four weeks (we arrive in just over a week by the way)

Can't wait to come regardless, we will find a way to make it work with the pets - am considering just trying private landlords rather than agents - can anyone tell me what the deal is with dodgy landlords in NZ? Should I be careful about which type of lease we get, and how do I check our 'bond' has been lodged with...now who was it....

Did anyone suffer from short-term memory loss during the big move? lmao.

Hi Sophie,
Gosh you've not got long to go now, how exciting/nail biting!!

Try this link for details of tenancy laws in NZ

www.dbh.govt.nz/tenancy-index

Seems much better governed than here.

Caroline
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Cottageinthesky

Yes please, I would be interested in seeing more details, thank you.

Liz & Co

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.