Dog friendly??

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

blackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to all
Default Dog friendly??

Hi,

I've heard that NZ isn't too keen on dogs. I looked at the local council website on the subject apart from the dog license fee you have to pay each year, there was a lot of rules on walking your dog. Certain areas where you can only let them off the lead, not being able to walk them on the beach.

I completely respect their rules and can understand how uncontrolled dogs are not desireable. But for all you who have taken your dogs with you, is it hard work trying to walk them or something you get used to? Or are the rules not as severe as the website made them sound?

Thanks
Dawn X
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:12 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dog friendly??

Originally Posted by blackburn lass View Post
Hi,

I've heard that NZ isn't too keen on dogs. I looked at the local council website on the subject apart from the dog license fee you have to pay each year, there was a lot of rules on walking your dog. Certain areas where you can only let them off the lead, not being able to walk them on the beach.

I completely respect their rules and can understand how uncontrolled dogs are not desireable. But for all you who have taken your dogs with you, is it hard work trying to walk them or something you get used to? Or are the rules not as severe as the website made them sound?

Thanks
Dawn X

Hi Dawn,

I think it will depend to a certain extent on which area you are heading to and which city council website you have read as my understanding is they differ from region to region.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

ewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really nice

Hmmm youve just reminded me I need to get our wee foxy registered. We have found no problems in the area and regularly take her to the beach etc and are completely surrounded in bush. Good idea to get the dog trained with Kiwis if its going to be in the bush. Some councils run dog training days re kiwis.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

we're having problems even finding somewhere to live with them, let alone keeping up with the rules

but we have more than one, and that's more tricky....
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ewanainsworth View Post
Hmmm youve just reminded me I need to get our wee foxy registered. We have found no problems in the area and regularly take her to the beach etc and are completely surrounded in bush. Good idea to get the dog trained with Kiwis if its going to be in the bush. Some councils run dog training days re kiwis.
I would say our dogs are "trained" and well behaved, but what extra does this form of training take? Sounds like it might be interesting/of value?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

cows_go_moo is an unknown quantity at this point

In my opinion the UK is more dog-friendly, despite having to apply for a dog licence every year in NZ. That's just a disguised tax, basically.

In NZ there are a lot more stray dogs - that's beacause some of the dog-owning underclass (and any other irresponsible dog owners) don't have to worry so much about traffic and let their dogs roam around and/or don't bother putting up gates. So when you are out walking Fido make sure you take with you a 'walking stick' or one of those golf umbrellas to ward off any unfriendly mutts! You should do that anyway if you are planning on walking in lonely places by the way.
I've never heard of the kiwi course thing but watch out for 1080 (?) possum poison and other chemical nasties that end up in the bush and if you're really lucky your local river! One summer we couldn't let the dogs swim in the river because of this (near Wellington).

All the best, your dog will love it!
P.S I realise I may have come across as somewhat paranoid but there are some REAL dangers out there - 20 years roaming the Hutt Valley with various soppy labs have taught me few things!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

steelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Dog friendly??

Hello Dawn,

Some people are happy to plod the pavement whilst others want fields and open space.
Some people don't like to let their dogs off the lead, and others want their hound to be free bounding along doing what dogs do....
So, I think it all depends on what you call dog walking...

We brought our labrador out with us 3months ago at first we thought we'd not be able to walk her off the lead. But as time has gone on, we've met up with other people who advise us where they go to walk 'with freedom'.
So, we choose where to go and we're not restricted. In fact, Sunday morning walks with fellow expats member TOMSK & hubby, with Colby have become a firm favourite !

Yes, you have to get a dog licence. The dog will wear a tag on their collar to show they are a paid up member of society!
If you ask at the council when you get the tag, they'll give you a roll of doggy bags - saves buying nappy sacks!

Last edited by steelblue; Sep 3rd 2009 at 11:28 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a dog ban in central Wellington, its great
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

Where are you heading to Dawn?

I heard the same things when we were planning our emigration - and even considered leaving our pooch behind,

We now live in Chch, and am so glad I didn't pay too much heed to the negativity about dogs on these forums. (sorry - but when you are planning you get to rely on peoples opinions which sometimes don't reflect reality).

We found a rental without too much trouble - it's fair to say our choice was limited, but we ended up with a lovely house, where our dog was allowed inside with the only restriction that she wasn't allowed in the carpeted lounge area.

There are dozens of places to walk her ... she can be walked near the local play fields and off the lead. all the local beaches she can go off the lead, and along the walks by the river (except being a water dog she gets kept on the lead as she invariably ends up taking a swim).

Saying that, there are some DOC areas that are no-dogs allowed, and some that they have to be on the lead. Just not quite the same freedom as in the UK, but there are still loads of doggy places.

Hope that puts a litle perspective on it.

Lou
Old Sep 4th 2009, 7:19 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't had any problems where we live. There is a wetland reserve right opposite the house where our dog get his daily walks off lead and has loads of wooded areas to explore and wide open spaces to run and chase sticks (not that he brings them back - just sits and chews them once caught ). There are a couple of other parks locally too where dogs can be walked. We also take him to the local rivers - Waimak and Ashley and the local beaches and surrounding pine forests. The only restriction on the beach in summer months is dogs aren't allowed within 50 metres of the surf club. There is also the Groynes in CCH, a huge park with separate kids play area, lakes for kids to fish that they stock with salmon and a dedicated dog park with gated and fenced assault course areas, drinking water supply for dogs, plenty of free open space and access to the shallow river for dogs to play in.

We go out on quite a lot of walks around the local countryside and dogs seem to be welcome - around some areas they are restricted to being on lead - around car parks/picnic areas but further into the walks are ok off lead.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Christchurch tends to be more dog friendly than anywhere else, but NZ is not really a very dog friendly place. Lots of restrictions, no public footpaths, you cannot take then into NPs, scenic reserves, retrictions on most beaches.

You cannot take your dog on a proper walk like in th UK. You nearly always need to load them in the car first to take them somwhere.

There are some nasty dogs here (pitbulls) and the government will not ban them. Lots of cases of dog attacks on peoples dogs and people.

Dogs sometimes are stolen ( our friend had two labs stolen in rotorua) She let them off the lead to run down to the lake and they were stolen. She is so upset because of what may have happened to them.

Gangs use them for their fighting dogs to train on and eating dog here is not illegal. Some pacific islanders eat dog and they let them do it.

Then there is the chemicals DOC put down everywhere and its deadly poisonous to dogs. There is the toxic algae in the streams and rivers which also kills dogs.

NZ 100% pure ( what a load of shit) It really shoud be "NZ 100% full of toxins and we will let you eat your pet dog"

Last edited by lizard; Sep 6th 2009 at 9:06 am.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, those islanders eat all the neighbourhood dogs like, all the time.

That's why there was a national outcry in the press and questions asked in the house when one islander ate his own pet dog a few weeks back. Actually, given it was a pit-bull cross or something, eating was too good for it (and I'm a dog-lover)

And as for all the poison pellets carpetting the landscape, well don't get me started. Luckily my kids have developed an immunity because they get through them like smarties there are so many around

/sarcasm
Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice

I would honestly make a decsion where in NZ you want to go then ask about dogs and dog walking in that area. Here in the deepest south where the council dog control officers lack education (Rottweillers in Invercargill....) there are actually loads of fantastic places to walk your dogs. Dogs are restricted in National Parks so that they don't kill native birds. I don't think anyone could disagree with that, we've already introduced enough european wildlife to NZ to upset the eco balance without adding dogs to the list. In short bring your dog or dogs. Just be prepared to pay more for their travel than yours......
Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizard View Post

Gangs use them for their fighting dogs to train on and eating dog here is not illegal. Some pacific islanders eat dog and they let them do it.

Then there is the chemicals DOC put down everywhere and its deadly poisonous to dogs. There is the toxic algae in the streams and rivers which also kills dogs.

NZ 100% pure ( what a load of shit) It really shoud be "NZ 100% full of toxins and we will let you eat your pet dog"
I've heard that some Pacific islanders are still cannibals - is that true?
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

maisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nice

I think it depends on where you are. We actually got our dog from a rescue place in Christchurch. We live a little way outside Chch out in the sticks, and we can take the dog pretty much anywhere, mostly because there's nobody there! Having said that, we have found places where they aren't allowed, parks, DOC land, etc.

But it's not so much that people are anti dog, I find, as that they have a different attitude to dogs than a lot of Brits do. Especially where we live in the country, dogs are seen more as working animals, not allowed in the house, etc etc. But we take our fella to the dog parks around Christchurch and there we've met lots of people who are just as soft about their pets as we are. So I guess it's where you go and who you're mixing with that makes the difference. Which is pretty much the same in any country.

As for the dog licence, yep, we had to get one recently, but it was $30 for the year - so not exactly a fortune, but I don't know if that varies from council to council.