Dog despair!

Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Fionamaeve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dog despair!

Hi all. I am new to this site but have read through a lot of posts! I am moving to Auckland from the UK at the end of May with my work. My partner and our two very well behaved cocker spaniels are joining me in July.

I am having an absolute nightmare trying to find somewhere to live that will allow dogs. The previous posts here say similar things and people's advice generally seems to be that we will find something eventually...the problem is I have rang every landlord on trademe with a property available and I repeatedly keep getting told that two dogs in a big no no.

Has anyone else had this issue in Auckland specifically? Or know of anyone who is willing to rent their house out to people with two dogs?

I have suggested putting down extra bond money but so far, to no avail.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Fionamaeve; Apr 14th 2014 at 10:38 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice
Default Re: Dog despair!

There are a few dog owners on here in Auckland and they will surely know.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold

sorry your having a hard time, we had the same trouble, but managed to find somewhere before we arrived! shame you going to Auckland! we rented a nice place down here. But would be too far away!

I am sure something will turn up. Are you staying up the permanently? Have you thought of offering to house them in a dog kennel on the property?

Good luck!

Last edited by crumpy10; Apr 14th 2014 at 10:40 pm. Reason: duh! spelling!
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for both your replies!

Yes, we're coming permanently - but wanted to rent for a while before we thought about buying. My job is based in Ponsonby so have been looking for rentals in the (slightly cheaper!) areas around there - Grey Lynn mostly.

I am coming out first for a month (before the dogs and my partner) and will be doing the majority of the house hunting then - so it looks like I might be begging - at the minute people just don't want to hear it over the telephone - I've said about a bond and about housing them outdoors but I think people must find it hard without actually meeting me.

The estate agent I have also spoken with have said it can be tricky - just wanted to get an idea if we were ever going to find anywhere as I'm getting slightly panicked about it!
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there and welcome to BE Fionamaeve.

Hopefully someone from up Auckland way will be along soon.

Tricky isn't it. We do so love our pets. They are a big part of our families.

I had a quick google and found this and this wee article
Old Apr 19th 2014, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Those links are really helpful!
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

We had the same trouble. Wait until you arrive and bring photos of,the dogs. You will be limited but you will also find something but this may not be your first or even second choice.

Also be aware that in some areas you need to get a permit to keep more than one dog. This should be just a formality and money raiser but do bear in mind that if the dogs bark a lot the neighbours can complain and this may have repercussions. You know your dogs so choose wisely!

http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/E...hanonedog.aspx
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:30 am
Just Joined

ttxume is an unknown quantity at this point

Something to bear in mind about NZ - they are sometimes a bit paranoid about dogs. For instance, there are many many trails and places we are not allowed to take dogs. Also, even a park is often out of bounds totally - even on a lead! There are only a few places where you can take them on holiday with you - hence we are getting a motorhome to go away in. It really is infuriated when all people can do it moan about what breed your dog might be (is it a pit-bull? NO!) and other stupid questions. I love my dog and I hate being treated like I'm some kind of strange person because she lived IN MY HOUSE not in a kennel outside in all weathers like most kiwi dogs seem to. It's ridiculous.
End of whinging Pom's soap-box rant.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:52 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ttxume
End of whinging Pom's soap-box rant.
You mean you've only got one. C'mon, put your back into it !
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

it'll mean more travel but try looking a bit further afield, you'll have more of a chance if you get out of the city itself.
I think you'll get a much more suitable property for dogs for the same money as over priced grey lynn if you looked at
somewhere like Waitakere, Henderson, Blockhouse bay, Te Atatu.
I would choose any of those areas over Grey Lynn anyway, but thats just me
Old Apr 28th 2014, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Before we moved to Auckland with our dog i hatched a plan, I made a little video of him being all nice and lovely to show any potential landlords how adorable he is. We managed to get a rental in Henderson, the video worked a treat, it's still on YouTube somewhere.

We were so lucky getting a half decent clean house owning a dog, it's going to be tough for you. Dogs are seen very differently over here and are treated very differently. It winds me up the amount of places you're not allowed to walk with a dog, but knowing what a lot of kiwi dog owners are like it's hardly surprising.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I remember going to Raglan and being told I couldnt walk around the town with my little jack russel.
You cant take em down the main streets during certain times (pretty much business hours )
I was surprised how many places are like this
Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Torbay this area is major dog friendly so many dogs its untrue we found a rental easy enough my advice is wait to you get here your dogs are coming after you and also need to go into quarantine for 2 weeks rentals look different from pictures believe me
there is a bus from Albany that takes you straight down the bus way to Ponsonby 962 so travel is easy
the residents fought and won here to get access to the beach all year round all day for their pets (although in summer during day to 6 on a lead) and many reserves have access. Also lots of the cafes cater for dogs on outside tables
our pooch could not be happier (border collie) we lived in Wellington. For a while and found this to be most dog unfreindly
Old May 10th 2014, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

We had this problem, but found when people met us they realised we weren't a pair of gypsies. One even said, "you look nice and clean"

At the end of the day, landlords want the rent paid and the house intact. We contacted people who'd said no dogs, but when I met them face to face they were ok.

Also many say no dogs in case it puts off people with allergies.

You won't get the best houses (mind you, there is no such thing here!)
Old May 10th 2014, 9:11 am
Just Joined

NinNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the other comments on here. Also, if you get stuck you can always look to rent a holiday let in the short term (may also be good as you won't have any furniture?). There are a small number that accept dogs. I've booked various ones (both for holidays and when I relocated from one town to another within NZ) through http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz or http://www.bookabach.co.nz (you can negotiate cheaper prices for longer lets, especially out of school holidays and in winter.)

When I moved here, I was really dissappointed that dogs are banned from all national parks and most DOC (Department of Conservation) land, but there is so much countryside here that you can always find good places to walk. A fabulous place about an hours drive from central Auckland is Muriwai Beach/Woodhill Forest on the west coast. I've just had a holiday there with my dog, and stayed in a lovely house overlooking the ocean. It was amazing :-)