British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Does Renting Cost A Fortune? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/does-renting-cost-fortune-373079/)

sheil347 May 12th 2006 10:56 am

Does Renting Cost A Fortune?

Can anybody tell me the average rental costs for a 3/4 bed house .I know it will depend on the area but if you could tell me where you are situated and the cost there.Would need to be near a decent school(kids aged 10,7 & 5) and wouldnt want to be in the middle of nowhere

Lenny the Lion May 12th 2006 11:30 am

Re: Does Renting Cost A Fortune?

Originally Posted by sheil347
Can anybody tell me the average rental costs for a 3/4 bed house .I know it will depend on the area but if you could tell me where you are situated and the cost there.Would need to be near a decent school(kids aged 10,7 & 5) and wouldnt want to be in the middle of nowhere

How long is a piece of string....I am paying $480 a week for a house on a famous Hawkes Bay hill but I have also heard of people paying $200 a week to live in a 4 bedroom house in the Mongrel Mob stronghold of Flaxmere!!
Take your pick. :rolleyes:

kiwichild May 12th 2006 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by sheil347

Check out www.stuff.co.nz They have lots of links to things that may be of interest to you including real estate and jobs.

Also check out the NZ daily newspapers online for their property classisfieds, eg, the herald (auck), the dominion(welly), the press(chch), the otago daily times(dunedin)

You can also try www.realenz.co.nz I think it is, for an online look at properties.

Never a good idea to go for the cheapest, there's reasons why they are cheap.

Rentals will als vary depending on the city you choose, eg; Auckland will cost more than Christchurch or a provincial city like Gisborne or Palmerston North

CWEMM02 May 12th 2006 6:55 pm

The Rental Board ( I have used capitals, but can't think of the correct name) publishes information on weekly house rentals by suburb for bonds received in the previous month. I printed it out and have it at home. It was useful to see what the going rate was, but you could also tell about an area. An area with lots of low cost rentals can be identified from the list. Also, you can cross reference to the ERO reports for schools in that area. Next you can look at your map and see what else is there and have an idea of amenties. You can also then go to Stuff and get a suburb report showing how the neighbourhood stacks up to national averages such as income, education level attained, younger families, teenagers, or retired people.

leaseuk May 12th 2006 9:21 pm

hi there,

I rent my 3 bed house out in Manurewa (South Auckland) for $290 per week.

KiwiDollie May 13th 2006 2:56 am

We rent a very nice 3 bedroom house in a lovely area close to local schools and 5 mins from town for $340 per week - and the landlord has allowed us to have our labrador retriever cross with us. There are houses to be had both cheaper and more expensive so its better to really have a good look round once you arrive.

Joshlin May 13th 2006 6:17 am

we rented in chch, nice area, newer house, 3 bed - 1 with ensuite, 2 living rooms, integral garage, seperate laundry - $320 per week

kathm May 13th 2006 8:16 am

Hi,

We are renting a 3 bed older style property in Papamoa, Bay of Plenty. It is fully furnished, even down to a cabinet full of fancy china (first thing we did was hide them all up high away from the kids - lol) and we are paying $340 a week.

sky May 13th 2006 8:34 am

You can rent for as little as 210 for a three bed town house here in Rangiora, if you go more rural you can get even cheaper with more land or if you want newer where I am you can pay up to 400 a wk. It all depends on what you want really. There's one near me with a few acres and its in a very desirable semi rural area but still five mins from town and they want 375 a wk.

livewire May 13th 2006 8:47 am

Our place in Browns Bay, North Shore used to be 550 a week, including the rates.

The set up costs can make a bit of a dent though - approx a weeks rent as a letting fee (but only if you go through an agent) 3 weeks rent as a bond and a week in advance, usually this is all paid when you sign the lease (or very soon thereafter)

thebears May 13th 2006 10:54 am

Originally Posted by leaseuk
hi there,

I rent my 3 bed house out in Manurewa (South Auckland) for $290 per week.

You from Rewa?

Man HS or James Cook? Other?

Kiwi
Manurewa High