Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Does this mean I'm settled?!

Wikiposts

Does this mean I'm settled?!

Old Oct 2nd 2010, 9:50 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does this mean I'm settled?!

Originally Posted by londonescapee
A silly question but can you get the solid stock cubes like Knorr's? And fromage frais? I have been looking iin Countdown and New World but cannot find it will hardly be the end of the world of course if I can't use them but it would be nice
Oxo stock cubes definitely, whereabouts in the supermarket depends on the supermarket some of them have them near the spices, and some of them have them near the gravy stuff.

Don't think I've seen fromage frais though, sorry.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
Oxo stock cubes definitely, whereabouts in the supermarket depends on the supermarket some of them have them near the spices, and some of them have them near the gravy stuff.

Don't think I've seen fromage frais though, sorry.
so true! Some of the supermarket layouts here have no reason or rhyme....Countdown in Mt Wellington so far has floored me - and I'm normally expert in finding where stuff is located
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 2:46 pm
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewb09
They even have Bisto gravy granuels but only the beef ones

Dewb
Well I managed to find some onion ones as well as the beefy ones in Woolworths but they're just not the same as the UK ones.

Oh well, nevermind. I just have to make my own gravy now for me bangers and mash!
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelloid
Well I managed to find some onion ones as well as the beefy ones in Woolworths but they're just not the same as the UK ones.

Oh well, nevermind. I just have to make my own gravy now for me bangers and mash!
Our Pak N` Save sell Bisto gravy granules inported from the English Corner shop!
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stormer999
I feel like crying when I try to rip some off.......me cling film and sellotape make for a terrible mess....

Be a bit better if I had spelled conversation right....
Using Sellotape AND clingfilm does sound a bit messy....but then again you don't want any moisture near your sandwiches!!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

A silly question but can you get the solid stock cubes like Knorr's? And fromage frais? I have been looking iin Countdown and New World but cannot find it will hardly be the end of the world of course if I can't use them but it would be nice

Bramptins - UK grocer in Pakuranga - not far from you might have them
Have you tried Meadowbank Countdown for fromage frais - they have a lot of different things but in small quantities so, as you say, hard to find - also may be called something different here
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:17 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelloid

Have you ever seen the veg ones?

Dewb
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

A silly question but can you get the solid stock cubes like Knorr's?
You can't get Knorr stock cubes in the usual supermarkets but you can get them from the Asian stores.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

OK, scratch the settled bit, I bloody cried at the bank today, cos they charged me $5!!! I don't understand the banks here...
I was still a bit wobbly at the supermarket, so that would account for the 4 bags of sweets and 2 bars of chocolate I came away with
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:23 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Does this mean I'm settled?!

Don't be afraid to look at smaller banks and credit unions if you can .
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:29 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zoexr
I was still a bit wobbly at the supermarket, so that would account for the 4 bags of sweets and 2 bars of chocolate I came away with
That would be 4 bags of lollies......

Dunno if it would make you feel better to know that I still get teary eyed when I look at the UK section of the international aisle at the supermarket (and I've been here nearly 8 years ). Likewise when I do a bacon butty - every time I tell myself I won't do one again cos it just isn't the same, and then I get that craving for one and I forget the last time....
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar wobble in the supermarket today and spent $4 on 2 cans of IrnBru from the 'worldfoods' section...this homesickness lark could bankrupt me!
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

OK, scratch the settled bit, I bloody cried at the bank today, cos they charged me $5!!! I don't understand the banks here...
No me neither I think we will do as Charismatic says and switch over. ASB will even charge us to set up an online payment I had a weep after work today for no real reason. Just got fed a Jaffa cake so feel a bit better now - what chocolate did you come away with?
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
You can't get Knorr stock cubes in the usual supermarkets but you can get them from the Asian stores.
Thanks Bo I will have a look I love Asian stores, really want to explore the huge supermarkets out on the way to Botany.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dorrick
Bramptins - UK grocer in Pakuranga - not far from you might have them
Have you tried Meadowbank Countdown for fromage frais - they have a lot of different things but in small quantities so, as you say, hard to find - also may be called something different here
Oooh no but will have a look thanks. I was trying to steer away from Bramptins but I may go and have a little indulgence this weekend

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.