Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Does life begin at 40??

Does life begin at 40??

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:35 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does life begin at 40??

Just thinking and contemplating on my life [I'm on call and waiting] and realised that I have just under 3months to go until I hit the big 4-0.
Now I can't imagine I'll change at all once midnight strikes and I'm suddenly in a whole new decade of my life but it seems so unreal- me, 40, how did that happen so quickly?
So, what have you done after the age of 40 that you would never have dreamed of doing before? What do you wish you'd done earlier in your life?
I'm not worried just wondering where all the time has gone...
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:46 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does life begin at 40??

Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
Just thinking and contemplating on my life [I'm on call and waiting] and realised that I have just under 3months to go until I hit the big 4-0.
Now I can't imagine I'll change at all once midnight strikes and I'm suddenly in a whole new decade of my life but it seems so unreal- me, 40, how did that happen so quickly?
So, what have you done after the age of 40 that you would never have dreamed of doing before? What do you wish you'd done earlier in your life?
Im past 50 and still young in mind. we emigrated to the other side of the world, in fact I think I feel younger now then when I hit the big. 40, mind you my kids where younger as I had them in my thirties, so I'm just looking forward to doing more things as they grow older, like traveling to America and who knows where we will be in the future. Im looking forward to the future as always
anyway your as old as you feel.

I would like some plastic surgery but there you go
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:47 am

Also my kids keep me young I am now going to Concerts and stuff again like I did in my 20s and 30s Yay roll on the Big Day out
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:14 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Just thinking and contemplating on my life and realised that I have just under 3months to go until I hit the big 4-0.

M'wahaha . M'wahahaha

You wait.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

newnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud of

I was told once that you are only as young as the man that you feel! So get yourself a toyboy!

I remember hitting '40'! I was very worried about it - I always remember my Mum being quite old at 40 - but it's not like that now. I had my children in my 30's so they were still quite young. Me and hubby took off for weekend break to Rome which was very nice. Since then we have done the big moving to the other side of the world thing!!!!

Do something special for yourself, or better still, get someone else to do something special for you!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by newnip View Post
I was told once that you are only as young as the man that you feel! So get yourself a toyboy!

I remember hitting '40'! I was very worried about it - I always remember my Mum being quite old at 40 - but it's not like that now. I had my children in my 30's so they were still quite young. Me and hubby took off for weekend break to Rome which was very nice. Since then we have done the big moving to the other side of the world thing!!!!

Do something special for yourself, or better still, get someone else to do something special for you!
I was not worried about being 40 but 50 I thought oh shit!

I look younger anyway which helps, and also my husband is 5 years younger than me, but I need to trade him in for a even younger model now...kidding or am I
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

you've been having an awful lot fun obviously !!

I never ever thought I would have returned to NZ to live, did that at 44.
Wished I had travelled more than I have done, kind of wished I could have lived in the USA. but hey what the heck....
Wished I could speak another language, but that has nothing to do with being 40, I am just lazy on that front I guess.
I pretty much gave up swearing as well, well most of the time, it has certainly declined quite a bit,
I think your questions are very interesting to ponder, but I always consider that it is not time that is passing, but it is us that is passing. Time - a man made 'invention' stands still.

But you haven't asked us what we like about being over 40?!

So here goes anyway! I like waking up in the morning feeling as fit as a fiddle, the hard nights I left back in London, where they belong!
And now I am 50 I am not very tolerant of poor customer service,
I tend to speak my mind more than I used to.
I like growing stuff in the garden, never had the land or the inclination before.

I watch a whole lot less tv than I used to, [but that will have to do with living in this country] and I don't miss it one little bit.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:35 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

newnip

Well Mr Sue is two years younger but too old to class as a toyboy-but he'll do [for now]
Yes I always thought of my Mam being so old when she was 40 but I think that has a lot to do with attitude She has never been very inquisitive or had much interest in anything outside of her immediate scope of experience. When I told her I was coming to NZ she seemed shocked that I would even consider such a thing, it was so outside of her comprehension that she didn't know what to say about it. And she could have guessed it would happen what with Mr Sue being a kiwi! . My Dad on the other hand is interested in anything and always wants to learn more, he told me that I MUST go to NZ-trying to get rid of me perhaps?. I take after my Dad
Newnip, the special thing is that we'll be in Mexico on my birthday: I think that'll class as special enough
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:42 am
Queen of the Underworld

Today 7:23 pm
love30stm
I look younger anyway which helps, and also my husband is 5 years younger than me, but I need to trade him in for a even younger model now...kidding or am I
Today 7:18 pm
Well I hope to get to go to some gigs at some point. I lived in London and often went to see bands. I miss it-old as I am I still used to get into the mosh and make a fool of myself
Best place to get a boost if you're feeling old is Tescos in Purley! I used to go there a lot and often got asked for ID when buying wine. It's a great feeling when you're 38 I can only assume they had incredibly flattering lighting or they only hired partially sighted staff Never got asked anywhere else
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 10:06 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Bevs is 5 years younger than me and after a whole load of travel before and after I met ole Mr Bevs, I emigrated here at the age of 50.

38 was a great age to be. Mind you now ,54 was a great age to be.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Vile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the rough

Does life begin at 40? Dunno, I'm hoping 45, but 50 is starting to look like a better bet!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vile View Post
Does life begin at 40? Dunno, I'm hoping 45, but 50 is starting to look like a better bet!
With you there hun looks like 50 will be the start here too x
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Got remarried, (wife #1 ran off with toy boy) Kate is quite a bit younger than me thus we ended up with 3 X wonderful children (dad for the 1st time at 42), passed my police sergeant's exam, promptly resigned, moved to NZ and became a 'housebitch' as we are called over here. Dull it isn't.

Finally there is absolutely nothing I regret (apart from investing with Hanover!!!!) about my life. It all happened for a reason and I guess its pretty cool being content with the passage of your life that has been as diverese as being a Club 18-30 holiday rep to being a window cleaner!! And many score of jobs to boot. Which is nice.

Last edited by Genesis; Oct 2nd 2009 at 6:45 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Life begins at 40 and starts to make sense at 50

from someone slightly over 50

J
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:27 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

40's passed me by in a bit of a blur ( something to do with female hormones I think!) so can't remember anything significant happening!!but hey once I hit 50!!!.... finally made our first trip to NZ (OH left when he was 2 ... always promised ourselves we would go when we were 50...made it at 52!!) went to see Santana, Clapton, Tom Jones, Lionel Ritchie, Jools Holland + few other 'live gigs'( I know ...diverse taste...but all backed by excellent musicians!)
Had some wonderful weekends & hols away at the drop of a hat, reduced hours & finally enjoying work.
'Kids' who are independant, and who we consider to be wonderful friends ,also they are both still happy to get p****d with their parents!! and neither of them have 'batted an eyelid' when we announced that we wanted to go and live on the other side of the world (following our 2nd visit to NZ and our decision that its time for OH to 'go home' )...... we did ask them to come too(honest!!) but both have decided that they want to stay here for now... they might change their minds .... both have NZ citizenship.... so could come if they want to, but at the moment they are looking forward to, and already planning the 'visits'

Now ....well, later this year I will be closer to 60 than I am to 50
but by the time we finally arrive in NZ so will OH

What do I wish I'd done earlier?....... well, I wish we'd moved to NZ when our 'kids' were younger ....but then again.... I like my life the way it is now, I'm proud of our 'kids' and have no regrets about anything, wishes maybe but no regrets........but now its time for me..... for us :wub ...we can do things which others may think are crazy and I really don't care what others may think (except the 'kids'!).....things like... giving up secure, relatively well paid employment, leaving our family and friends to go and experience life in NZ with each other and we can't wait!!!

Gosh!!....I think I've gone on for too long on this one...sorry!!
Enjoy life & have fun! Jan & Neil..... you are so right!!! ( think we were posting at the same time!)
B x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.