Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Does Being Bankrupt Effect My Application For Immigration

Does Being Bankrupt Effect My Application For Immigration

Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:14 am
Just Joined

kitingplasterer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does Being Bankrupt Effect My Application For Immigration

Hi, im in the process of deciding if i should go bankrupt or no, wont go into details but in a great deal of financial difficulty.

Does being a bankrupt in the Uk effect my chances of immigaration in the futre??

I have looked through previous threads and think i have my answer but would like to double, triple check

thanks alot

Lee
Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Tiand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does Being Bankrupt Effect My Application For Immigration

I don't think so, unless you are applying under a Business Category in which case you may not have been bankrupt.

Nowhere on the EOI for skilled migrant does it mention bankruptcy.

Hope this helps, and sorry to hear of your troubles.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kitingplasterer
Hi, im in the process of deciding if i should go bankrupt or no, wont go into details but in a great deal of financial difficulty.

Does being a bankrupt in the Uk effect my chances of immigaration in the futre??

I have looked through previous threads and think i have my answer but would like to double, triple check

thanks alot

Lee
being bankrupt does not effect your application under the skilled migrant IF you have a job offer if you do not have a job offer then immigration will want to know how you will support yourself and where the funds will come from and if you have funds im sure the official reciever will do his best to get hold of them.
If you have a job offer though then immigration dont need that info because they will assume the job you are going to will support you.
On a positive note if you settle your debts one way or the other i.e going bankrupt at the moment the bankruptcy will not follow you and you will be able to start your credit afresh. Be aware though whilst you are still under the power of the official reciever his powers to sieze assets are worldwide so until you are discharged ( which is only after a year now) i would be tempted not to buy property.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kitingplasterer
Not in terms of immigration I don't think (unless you're trying to set up a business here) but it might affect you being able to get a bank acc etc etc.