British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   does anyone use cheque books? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/does-anyone-use-cheque-books-826959/)

MrsFychan Feb 27th 2014 7:22 am

does anyone use cheque books?

I had to get a cheque book last year as wanted to hire a hall and they required a cheque for a refundable bond. And the dog kennel only took cash or cheque.

The cheque was not used and I then paid cash at the kennels.

I wrote a cheque at the beginning of the week for DD school.

Today I checked my bank account and there is a withdrawal for "Government Cheque Duty"

Doing a Google search and found this:

"Cheque Duty is the amount charged by the government on all cheques used by customers (currently this is 5cents per cheque). The full Cheque Duty charge for all the cheques in your cheque book is deducted from your account on the receipt of the first presented cheque under the new cheque serial number range".

ok not a heap of money, $2.50 but seriously???

Bo-Jangles Feb 27th 2014 8:00 am

Re: does anyone use cheque books?

Yes, I do remember having to pay same to get out first (and only) cheque book. I honestly can't recall the last time I used a cheque or where the book is, so not likely to start using it now. :lol:

Possibly we paid by cheque for house deposit as I can't imagine I paid that via electronic transfer though, so I guess they do have their uses from time to time.

Justcol Feb 27th 2014 9:42 am

I dont even use money anymore.
Honestly I probably havent had a coin or note my pocket for over two years

RobDon Feb 27th 2014 4:31 pm

Have never used, or even seen a cheque book since being here. :o

Hokey-pokey Feb 27th 2014 5:36 pm

Our cheque book is not used often but it's a handy thing to keep tucked away. I did use it a lot when we were building, to make progress payments. It saved me the hassle of having to go to the bank every few weeks.

BEVS Feb 27th 2014 7:28 pm

We have a cheque book. It gets used a couple of times a year where the other party doesn't have eftpos and I haven't that sum of cash.

I often need bits and bobs of cash. Things like fund raisers & koha. The fayres around here are gold coin donation for instance. Mr BEVS also has bits of cash for the odd pie . :lol:

Tom1983 Feb 27th 2014 7:57 pm

I've not used a cheque book but that wouldn't surprise me they charged.
I would have thought it would have been a bank charge since cards are charged etc

I wish we had one though since it caused such a pain in the arse with ACPO not having one. Less I say, the better *angry face*

bearskin Feb 27th 2014 9:24 pm

Have cheque book - it gets used quite a bit, probably write a minimum of one cheque a month. I'm thinking of moving back to Cash-only though - just got to stock up on envelopes.

McFamily Feb 28th 2014 6:22 am

some of our customers pay by cheque (mostly those from the UK it seems). There is also a lot of cash, but we are increasingly converting people over to internet banking payments, which are a whole lot quicker and easier.

We've been here 9.5 years and believe you only get charged once for cheque books, but like most peope, we probably haven't written a cheque for years.

Charismatic Mar 1st 2014 6:19 am

No cheque book here but if I ran a capital intensive business I'd write post dated cheques, good business practise to keep funds on hand for an extra three days.

You can use your phone and internet now for everything a chequebook used to do and it's free.

Jan n Neil Mar 2nd 2014 5:21 pm

I actually got a new cheque book last month and I noticed that I get charged 3 bux the first time I use it so they can sod off, It's gone in a drawer and thats where it will stay :frown:

Neil

MrsFychan Mar 2nd 2014 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 11155014)
I actually got a new cheque book last month and I noticed that I get charged 3 bux the first time I use it so they can sod off, It's gone in a drawer and thats where it will stay :frown:

Neil

as far as I'm aware its a one off payment for the whole book so now that you have had to pay the Government Cheque Duty

"Cheque Duty is the amount charged by the government on all cheques used by customers (currently this is 5cents per cheque). The full Cheque Duty charge for all the cheques in your cheque book is deducted from your account on the receipt of the first presented cheque under the new cheque serial number range."
taken from https://www.asb.co.nz/personal/banki...ion-on-banking.

you might as well use the whole book

Bo-Jangles May 15th 2014 9:47 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11150419)
"Cheque Duty is the amount charged by the government on all cheques used by customers (currently this is 5cents per cheque). The full Cheque Duty charge for all the cheques in your cheque book is deducted from your account on the receipt of the first presented cheque under the new cheque serial number range".

ok not a heap of money, $2.50 but seriously???

D'ya reckon John Key read this thread? :lol:

Duty on cheques was abolished in the budget today.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11255347

MrsFychan May 15th 2014 10:19 am

Looks like BE has more clout than anyone ever realised :thumbsup:

ChrisWilson7 May 16th 2014 2:45 am

I haven't had a cheque book in a year here so far, and can see myself never writing one again. Too easy to transfer online these days.