Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Does anybody know the cost of a 2nd hand ute?

Does anybody know the cost of a 2nd hand ute?

Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough
Default Does anybody know the cost of a 2nd hand ute?

Title says it all. I am wondering what the cost of your average second hand toyota hilux ute is - Say 10 to 20 years old.

Dealers have them starting at $4000 and trade me at $2000.....

Just wondering what the average is for when I come to buy so I don't get a good looker than is a wreck underneath! haha

Thanks, Gizzy.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anybody know the cost of a 2nd hand ute?

Originally Posted by Gizmo27
Title says it all. I am wondering what the cost of your average second hand toyota hilux ute is - Say 10 to 20 years old.

Just wondering what the average is for when I come to buy so I don't get a good looker than is a wreck underneath! haha

Thanks, Gizzy.
I did this to find out the price I should list my van at when I sold it. Find all the similar models of the same ilk and year and then add up all the prices and divide them by the amount of cars listed which gives you a very accurate average you should be looking at.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

I have been joking to Jo about getting a Ute!!!!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be surprised if a 20 year old Toyota ute sold for $2000 on Trademe. Toyotas are held in such high regard here that their prices are inflated plus the fact that Trademe inflates the price of any piece of crap on four wheels. If you watch a trade all the way through you would be amazed at the price that museum pieces go for. I speak from the experience of disappointed kids who see an excellent car on Trademe for $1000 only to find that it sells for $3000 - and it's 20+ years old with 300,000 on the clock! So if you can get one from a dealer at $4K I'd do that rather than waste your time on Trademe.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

They really hold there money here if u want one thats going to last a lifetime personally i think u need to spend at least 20 grand, u can get an old dog for 2/3 grand but it wont be pretty and it wont be reliable

Neil
Attached Thumbnails Does anybody know the cost of a 2nd hand ute?-jan-uk-046.jpg  
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:17 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gizmo27

Thanks, Gizzy.
If you find one for $2000, then there's something wrong with it. If you find one from a dealer for $4000, then don't buy it as there's probably something wrong with it! A reasonable Toyota Ute will set you back $4000 from a private sale and $6000 from the trade, unless you don't mind one that looks like it just escaped from Top Gear!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:18 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and beware......Toyota's crack the cylinder heads very easily, especially the diesels.......