British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Does anybody know the cost of a 2nd hand ute? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/does-anybody-know-cost-2nd-hand-ute-673153/)

Gizmo27 Jun 20th 2010 7:42 am

Does anybody know the cost of a 2nd hand ute?

Title says it all. I am wondering what the cost of your average second hand toyota hilux ute is - Say 10 to 20 years old.

Dealers have them starting at $4000 and trade me at $2000.....

Just wondering what the average is for when I come to buy so I don't get a good looker than is a wreck underneath! haha

Thanks, Gizzy.

Genesis Jun 20th 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Does anybody know the cost of a 2nd hand ute?

Originally Posted by Gizmo27 (Post 8644118)
Title says it all. I am wondering what the cost of your average second hand toyota hilux ute is - Say 10 to 20 years old.

Just wondering what the average is for when I come to buy so I don't get a good looker than is a wreck underneath! haha

Thanks, Gizzy.

I did this to find out the price I should list my van at when I sold it. Find all the similar models of the same ilk and year and then add up all the prices and divide them by the amount of cars listed which gives you a very accurate average you should be looking at.

LukeandJo Jun 20th 2010 10:01 pm

I have been joking to Jo about getting a Ute!!!!

Woodlea Jun 21st 2010 12:51 am

I'd be surprised if a 20 year old Toyota ute sold for $2000 on Trademe. Toyotas are held in such high regard here that their prices are inflated plus the fact that Trademe inflates the price of any piece of crap on four wheels. If you watch a trade all the way through you would be amazed at the price that museum pieces go for. I speak from the experience of disappointed kids who see an excellent car on Trademe for $1000 only to find that it sells for $3000 - and it's 20+ years old with 300,000 on the clock! So if you can get one from a dealer at $4K I'd do that rather than waste your time on Trademe.

Jan n Neil Jun 21st 2010 2:09 am

1 Attachment(s)
They really hold there money here if u want one thats going to last a lifetime personally i think u need to spend at least 20 grand, u can get an old dog for 2/3 grand but it wont be pretty and it wont be reliable

Neil

sirplug Jun 21st 2010 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Gizmo27 (Post 8644118)

Thanks, Gizzy.

If you find one for $2000, then there's something wrong with it. If you find one from a dealer for $4000, then don't buy it as there's probably something wrong with it! A reasonable Toyota Ute will set you back $4000 from a private sale and $6000 from the trade, unless you don't mind one that looks like it just escaped from Top Gear!

sirplug Jun 21st 2010 10:18 am

Oh and beware......Toyota's crack the cylinder heads very easily, especially the diesels.......