Reload this Page >

Does it always rain?

Does it always rain?

Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

meercat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Does it always rain?

Originally Posted by AlbieLittle
Having lived in Salford it doesn't rain as much (unless you live on the south island west coast!) (all the stats are available online)

Weather here is very changeable and can drive you nuts. Go out in a t-shirt in the morning and freeze in the afternoon, go out with a jacket and swelter in the afteroon.

Don't move here for the weather - please, don't do that. Go to OZ if hot sunny predictable days are your thing.
Weather isn't the issue for us moving, just checking out if it was wetter than Manchester as heard it gets a lot of rain and, as a northerner it rains a lot in Manchester! Notice you are from Salford - is that Salford Gtr Manchester?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:12 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who lives in the Wairarapa, but who used to live in Titirangi for 10 years. She said winter in Auckland was like living in a sponge.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

But at least it isnt a COLD sponge.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

kiwiblossom has a brilliant futurekiwiblossom has a brilliant futurekiwiblossom has a brilliant futurekiwiblossom has a brilliant futurekiwiblossom has a brilliant futurekiwiblossom has a brilliant future

http://www.arc.govt.nz/arc/environme...r/rainfall.cfm
There you go then, nice map showing distribution of rainfall in the Auckland area. I used to live in an area that was consistently fine when it was raining half an hour's walk down the road. And was I satisfied? No - because we relied on the rain for all our water!

Auckland doesn't have a very high annual rainfall compared to other parts of NZ, but the "two harbours" thing does mean constant scattered showers.

..You wouldn't be the meerkat who plays guitar, would you?
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

I emigrated to Wellington on 1st January and it has only rained about 4-5 times ! I was expecting howling winds and rain constantly, but there is much more sunny weather than in England and the sun is very strong (Wellington is roughly on the same latitude as Madrid, Auckland = Seville). Everyone reassures me that the winters are like an English Autumn with no snow except on the hills, they say that Even in winter it is hot in the sunshine, even if the temperature in the shade is low .
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:33 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
I emigrated to Wellington on 1st January and it has only rained about 4-5 times ! I was expecting howling winds and rain constantly, but there is much more sunny weather than in England and the sun is very strong (Wellington is roughly on the same latitude as Madrid, Auckland = Seville). Everyone reassures me that the winters are like an English Autumn with no snow except on the hills, they say that Even in winter it is hot in the sunshine, even if the temperature in the shade is low .
I am still reading this post with disbelief! So it didn't rain today, or yesterday, or the day before?

Last edited by AlbieLittle; May 2nd 2007 at 4:42 am.
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:21 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

If you are thinking about greater auckland, then think about the microclimates too (illustrated by the map given in an earlier post). Pretty much everyone I have spoken to (during our drought on the Whangaporoa Peninsula - 2 months+ of no rain in Jan/Feb/March) says that there is less rain out there - eg Gulf Harbour has less rain than central auckland.....probaly due to the hills to the west and south - as you drive down SH1 towards auckland you see the temperature variations with levels of fog/mist and rain changing as the road climbs and dips again.......
Overall you'll find - sun is very strong, rain can be very very intense, most rain is in shorter sharper showers than in UK and weather is really changable on more days than you would anticipate!!
You will neeed good sun screen, an umbrella, decent jacket, sandals and a de-humidifier!!
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meercat
We live in the North West of England - pretty wet at times here but moving to Auckland (hopefully) in next 4 -6 months. Is the North Island wetter?
Yes-never stops.
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meercat
We live in the North West of England - pretty wet at times here but moving to Auckland (hopefully) in next 4 -6 months. Is the North Island wetter?
About the same, though sometimes it rains so hard that it washes houses away.
Old May 2nd 2007, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
About the same, though sometimes it rains so hard that it washes houses away.
Is that houses or sheds washing away? Us northerners can hack the rain. Even the driving - especially if you come from Carlisle!
Old May 2nd 2007, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

Did I mention that the rain drops are the size of ping pong balls?...........

Burt
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
Did I mention that the rain drops are the size of ping pong balls?...........

Burt
you know how to cheer someone up. I take it you live in NZ?