Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Doctors/ Medical insurance Chch

Doctors/ Medical insurance Chch

Old Jun 15th 2013, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

bellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Doctors/ Medical insurance Chch

Hi all, wonder if anyone can advise me please? We are living in Chch and have now managed to secure a house (after a reasonably stressful search), now wondering what to do about medical insurance.

We think for a family (2 x adults and a 3yr old) the cost is around $250 per month, so we are debating if we need it. So can anyone advise what the cost is for a general doctors visit in Chch? More for our son than us, in case we need to take him to doctors.

We are on work to residence/partner & student visas - I am not sure if we are entitled to any partial funding or anything?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 15th 2013, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doctors/ Medical insurance Chch

We are with Parklands Medical Centre. They charge $38.00 for 18 and over. 0 - 5 is free.
If you need to see a doctor after hours or at the weekend, then the cost is more and you would normally need to go to an After Hours facility. eg http://www.24hoursurgery.co.nz/visiting-us/fees-payment.
What area did you end up renting in?
Old Jun 15th 2013, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

bellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
We are with Parklands Medical Centre. They charge $38.00 for 18 and over. 0 - 5 is free.
If you need to see a doctor after hours or at the weekend, then the cost is more and you would normally need to go to an After Hours facility. eg http://www.24hoursurgery.co.nz/visiting-us/fees-payment.
What area did you end up renting in?
Thankyou - so am I understanding correctly, you dont have insurance but joined the medical centre and pay if needed? and my 3 yr old would be free assuming Sumner offer the same.

Our rental is in Sumner, I will ring the sumner medical centre & see what they say. I am a bit confused though because we were under the impression we had to buy private cover?
Old Jun 15th 2013, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

I am a bit confused though because we were under the impression we had to buy private cover?[/QUOTE]

Depends if you have PR or a working visa as the amount you pay differs! If you only have a working visa and you need any hospital treatment you will have to pay the full cost - this is when having medical insurance becomes very useful.

Have a look at the links below

http://www.everybody.co.nz/page-0a41...7aac8de68.aspx

http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...lth-services-0

Hope this helps
Old Jun 15th 2013, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nero
I am a bit confused though because we were under the impression we had to buy private cover?
Depends if you have PR or a working visa as the amount you pay differs! If you only have a working visa and you need any hospital treatment you will have to pay the full cost - this is when having medical insurance becomes very useful.

Have a look at the links below

http://www.everybody.co.nz/page-0a41...7aac8de68.aspx

http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...lth-services-0

Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

Hi nero - thanks for this its brilliant. We have 3 year work to res visas so it reads to me we would be entitled to funded services. I think if your work visa is less than 2 years you are not. Since we will upgrade to PR asap, I think we can save the cost of private healthcare for now. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction!