Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Doctors & Dentists?

Doctors & Dentists?

Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Doctors & Dentists?

Two questions really.........

Is it easy and how do you register with a Doc/Dentist?

Does everybody pay for the services of Docs/Dentists, irrespective of their Visa status?

Some of the information I have read on the forum conflicts with others.

If there are charges, is there insurance available to cover this service?

Cheers

Garry
Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice
Default Re: Doctors & Dentists?

Hi Garry. We found it easy to register with a dentist - just 'phoned them and they sent us the forms to fill in. It comes as a shock having to pay for it though!! (one of my boys had a filling yesterday - $120!)
We couldn't register with a GP when we first got here as none of the local ones were taking on any new patients but we only had a 2-3 week wait. We're near Porirua and have a local hospital that we could have gone to if we'd needed to see a doctor before being registered but it costs more (our GP charges $57 for adult consultation, $25 for over 5 years and $5 for the littlies).
I think there are insurance schemes that will cover GP and dental costs but we worked out that the cost to cover all 5 of us would be too much!!Have a look at Southern Cross insurance, for example.
We have PR, so do get some medical costs covered but not all.
Hope this helps!!
Alison
Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:53 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

As for accidents, say you fall off a ladder or you break your leg skiing, you will be covered by ACC (Accident Compensation Corporation, I think). This means your doctor's bills as well as rehabilitation from the injury will be taken care of with little or no cost to you.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wilma & co
We're near Porirua and have a local hospital that we could have gone to if we'd needed to see a doctor before being registered but it costs more (our GP charges $57 for adult consultation, $25 for over 5 years and $5 for the littlies).
The fee for adults is being subsidised further as per July 1 07 - so the fee will be around half that, depending on what each GP practice decides.
The fee for adults at my practice is dropping from $55 to $27.50 on Mon =)