Doctors?

Old Nov 28th 2012, 12:51 am
Just Joined

miss.audrina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doctors?

Hi ... A very good friend is thinking of moving to NZ as a general practioner from America. Of course, all Americans think it's the only place to be, so I thought to come here for an honest view. My friend is a good doctor, just wants a less hectic life. Will it be easy for his family to settle in NZ? They have a 9-year-old boy. I know they are pretty easy going people, not loud mouthed as many Americans are accused of being. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:05 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doctors?

Originally Posted by miss.audrina
Hi ... A very good friend is thinking of moving to NZ as a general practioner from America. Of course, all Americans think it's the only place to be, so I thought to come here for an honest view. My friend is a good doctor, just wants a less hectic life. Will it be easy for his family to settle in NZ? They have a 9-year-old boy. I know they are pretty easy going people, not loud mouthed as many Americans are accused of being. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hello and welcome to the BE forum and the NZ branch.

The job of general practitioner appears on Immigration New Zealand's long-term skill shortage list, which means the Government is actively encouraging skilled general practitioners from overseas to work in New Zealand. So the chances of your friend getting a job and successfully completing the immigration process is high.

As to if would be "easy" for them to settle, that is an impossible question to answer. Whilst people from all walks of life have successfully settled in NZ, some have not for many different reasons.

However, I know quite a few Americans here in our part of the country who seem perfectly happy here!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:37 am
Banned

mikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to all

Hi, I worked in health care for the 6 years I was here and believe me it will be no less hectic in NZ. Staff shortages, less holidays and lower pay are just a few of the downsides.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 9:44 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mikesurf
Hi, I worked in health care for the 6 years I was here and believe me it will be no less hectic in NZ. Staff shortages, less holidays and lower pay are just a few of the downsides.
Here in France or there NZ ?
What is your occupation then. Doctor?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss.audrina
Why are you posting for your friend? I knew a few expat GPs in NZ and they seemed happy. The pay would no doubt be a cut but as a GP it is possible to own your own practice and work part-time if you wish.

My GP(not friend) in a perfectly ordinary practice never seemed rushed or stressed and always had plenty of time to chat outside of the actual reason I had gone along.
As most patients in NZ pay cash at the desk to see their GP, they tend to only go along when necessary and so it is easier to get an appt same day than it is in UK which implies NZ GPs have some downtime and have to drum up custom/compete by being sympathetic to patients.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have the same pressure from insurance companies in NZ as in USA.
Whether they would want to live in NZ for the rest of their days is an entirely different matter but I suppose it doesn't have to be forever. I think living in NZ always means a quieter life tbh...on all fronts.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 11:34 am
Banned

mikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BEVS
Here in France or there NZ ?
What is your occupation then. Doctor?
I was a histopathologist at Auckland hospital, Grafton.