Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do it Yourself.......

Do it Yourself.......

Old May 11th 2005, 8:43 pm
enilorac

Default Do it Yourself.......

Has anyone had any experience of self-build in New Zealand...we would quite like to fulfill two dreams if and when we get the nod...firstly move to another part of the world and secondly to design and build our own house...with an eco type twist to it...all advice welcome.......

Old May 11th 2005, 10:34 pm
Damages

Default Re: Do it Yourself.......

Originally Posted by enilorac
Has anyone had any experience of self-build in New Zealand...we would quite like to fulfill two dreams if and when we get the nod...firstly move to another part of the world and secondly to design and build our own house...with an eco type twist to it...all advice welcome.......
If you're into eco housing check out www.earthship.com

These things are amazing, indestructable, and they are made out of recycled auto tyres. I had considered getting a section ( no - not the mental health act ) and building one of these.

Regards

Ali

Old May 11th 2005, 11:08 pm
enilorac

Default Re: Do it Yourself.......

Originally Posted by Damages
If you're into eco housing check out www.earthship.com

These things are amazing, indestructable, and they are made out of recycled auto tyres. I had considered getting a section ( no - not the mental health act ) and building one of these.

Regards

Ali
Thanks for the link Ali...we were thinking perhaps not so radically..just harnessing what's freely available...solar power, earth heating etc but more interested in knowing if self-build is popular and easy to do over in NZ...p.s tell phyll I'm going to bring my books with me!!

Last edited by enilorac; May 11th 2005 at 11:24 pm.