Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:32 pm
  #16  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Auckland, North Shore.
Posts: 13
AndyF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your insight. I absolutely agree with the pos/negatives that you have listed in your message. No-one's into football so that would be fine!

We will have a much clearer idea after our trip at Xmas as I know there has been a lot of development and changes in the Auckland/surrounding areas which we would be considering, in the 8 years since we last visited. We think we know the area pretty well and as a family we could live there, we're just not sure for how long - hence the thread question. My husband is from the North Shore. Whereabouts are you heading? And where did you live in Auckland previously?

We have considered renting out our house initially to keep our foot in the UK property market, but to be honest we wouldn't really want the potential headache from issues such as void periods (mortgage too big to service from NZ dollars) as we would want to focus on the 'new life' so to speak. Also, we would need money to buy/build a house.

So again many thanks - will keep chewing it over - and keep the views coming
Last time (97-01) we lived in Milford and Takapuna on the North Shore, I really liked Takapuna. When we head back in Sept we are initially hoping to rent in Takapuna for ease of getting around while we havent got a car, but within 6 months hope to buy a house further out, say an hour out of Auckland.

I wouldnt say the North Shore had changed hugely in the four years we were there, and as my partners sister still lives in Mairangi Bay it doesnt seemed to have changed that much since we left. The one place that has changed beyond recognition is Albany, for which Auckland council seem to have planned as a future city in itself. Auckland city centre improved a hell of a lot in the time we were there, with the Americas Cup developments, which made it much more of a happening city, with waterfront bars, cafes and restaurants.

We just cant wait to get back there now and get settled in, although i'm not looking forward to the big family send off at the airport when we leave the UK.
AndyF is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:47 pm
  #17  
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0
Thread Starter
 
uk+kiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,606
uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

Originally Posted by AndyF
Last time (97-01) we lived in Milford and Takapuna on the North Shore, I really liked Takapuna. When we head back in Sept we are initially hoping to rent in Takapuna for ease of getting around while we havent got a car, but within 6 months hope to buy a house further out, say an hour out of Auckland.

I wouldnt say the North Shore had changed hugely in the four years we were there, and as my partners sister still lives in Mairangi Bay it doesnt seemed to have changed that much since we left. The one place that has changed beyond recognition is Albany, for which Auckland council seem to have planned as a future city in itself. Auckland city centre improved a hell of a lot in the time we were there, with the Americas Cup developments, which made it much more of a happening city, with waterfront bars, cafes and restaurants.

We just cant wait to get back there now and get settled in, although i'm not looking forward to the big family send off at the airport when we leave the UK.
Hi, yes you will no doubt have seen some interesting reading on the forum lately regarding goodbyes! I know it's easier to say than do, but try to stay positive and remember all that you'll be gaining!

Snap re: Takapuna - absolutely love it! Devonport also, but as we would love some sea view, I think we would head further out also due to the house prices! I know what you mean about Albany. I can remember it being pretty dull (comparatievly), but I have read about it develoing into quite a centre for the North Shore. Friends/fam in Albany, Browns Bay, Waiake & Mairangi. Also, I know the Americas cup did a lot for the city, but from what we saw during the development stage I seem to recall only a handful of waterside bars and a big arty shopping area type quay. Hopefully the momentum continued - I will be looking with intrigue in December!!!

Anyhow, I look forward to following your progress, especially when September comes - what a great time to go BTW - 2 Summers back to back -good planning or lucky coincidence?
uk+kiwi is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 3:16 pm
  #18  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Auckland, North Shore.
Posts: 13
AndyF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hi, yes you will no doubt have seen some interesting reading on the forum lately regarding goodbyes! I know it's easier to say than do, but try to stay positive and remember all that you'll be gaining!

Snap re: Takapuna - absolutely love it! Devonport also, but as we would love some sea view, I think we would head further out also due to the house prices! I know what you mean about Albany. I can remember it being pretty dull (comparatievly), but I have read about it develoing into quite a centre for the North Shore. Friends/fam in Albany, Browns Bay, Waiake & Mairangi. Also, I know the Americas cup did a lot for the city, but from what we saw during the development stage I seem to recall only a handful of waterside bars and a big arty shopping area type quay. Hopefully the momentum continued - I will be looking with intrigue in December!!!

Anyhow, I look forward to following your progress, especially when September comes - what a great time to go BTW - 2 Summers back to back -good planning or lucky coincidence?
You're dead right, stay positive, once we're out of the airport lounge, on the plane, and my partner has stopped the emotions we'll be fine. I think the kids (18months and 3years) will just wondered what the heck is going on and what all the fuss is about. Our little lad cant wait to go on a 'Big pane to Snew Zeeand' as he says.

Re: Auckland - very much improved, yeah, it could have been done better, but it was heaps better than it was before the Amercas Cup.

Re: 2 summers - sort of planned it, but it was quite fortunate that everything has worked out just about to plan for it to come off. Currently going through a very hectic time, planning flights, freight, selling house, saying goodbyes, and getting married and having a honeymoon at the end of July too

Have a nice trip in Decemeber.

AndyF
AndyF is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 3:35 pm
  #19  
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0
Thread Starter
 
uk+kiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,606
uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

Originally Posted by AndyF
You're dead right, stay positive, once we're out of the airport lounge, on the plane, and my partner has stopped the emotions we'll be fine. I think the kids (18months and 3years) will just wondered what the heck is going on and what all the fuss is about. Our little lad cant wait to go on a 'Big pane to Snew Zeeand' as he says.

Re: Auckland - very much improved, yeah, it could have been done better, but it was heaps better than it was before the Amercas Cup.

Re: 2 summers - sort of planned it, but it was quite fortunate that everything has worked out just about to plan for it to come off. Currently going through a very hectic time, planning flights, freight, selling house, saying goodbyes, and getting married and having a honeymoon at the end of July too

Have a nice trip in Decemeber.

AndyF
Thanks Andy, all the best for your wedding, relax on your honeymoon and good luck with the kids on the flight . They'll be installing soft play centres on aircrafts soon at about £1000/session I think!

Kids are at great ages to go - everyone over the sleep debt and ready for the next adventure? Ours are 5 and 3 3/4, so this is the first time we're braving the trip - although we are stopping twice (and I don't mean for lovely stopovers!) - and we also have to do it twice in 3 weeks of course - It will be interesting to see whether the girls are as excited about the return plane journey as the outbound one! My 3 year old also has a slightly interesting way of saying NZ Oh how they change so quickly.

All the best.
uk+kiwi is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:47 pm
  #20  
Life begins...
 
80s Chick's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: The Labour Exchange
Posts: 552
80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

Originally Posted by AndyF
Our little lad cant wait to go on a 'Big pane to Snew Zeeand' as he says.
AndyF
Awww bless, sending you some karma just for that

Phyl
80s Chick is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:03 pm
  #21  
Don
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,613
Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
We are considering a family move to NZ sometime next year. OH is a Kiwi, I have visited several times, but we haven’t been for 8 years – hence a reckie this Xmas. It would be a flexible move without definite plans – ie jobs and timeframe to be decided later and dependant on how much we enjoyed life in NZ & opportunities that come up as we’re there. For us, it would be for pull and not push factors – ie an adventure and the experience, not because we’re unhappy with our life here. There are many things we love about life here.

Anyhow, having mentioned this to friends/fam, the general consensus is that whilst we could buy a good house without a mortgage and enjoy a better family centric lifestyle, that it is a one-way ticket!

Not literally, but in terms of should we decide to come back to the UK in a few years time, we could be quite a bit behind where we left off so to speak, e.g. not be able to buy back our house in the UK for example, even though we do have a huge mortgage on it! My husband agreed that this is more than likely to be the case, but that would be the price we would pay for the experience.

So for those of you who have already made the move, or are about to (a few of you!), what do you think of this view, and what were your ‘plans’ in going such as try it out, hope to stay for 10 years but certainly not forever etc etc? In fact, I would love to hear anyone's view on this as I know a couple of you have moved back such as KJP, Shepslady etc.
As far as I can see the main problem is crap pay compared to the UK, ie are you prepared to get paid less than half what you would get back home just to live in a nice place when things generally cost the same apart from house and petrol/ diesel?
Don is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:00 am
  #22  
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate
 
shepslady's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: ExPat Kiwi in Indiana USA
Posts: 1,865
shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
We are considering a family move to NZ sometime next year. OH is a Kiwi, I have visited several times, but we haven’t been for 8 years – hence a reckie this Xmas. It would be a flexible move without definite plans – ie jobs and timeframe to be decided later and dependant on how much we enjoyed life in NZ & opportunities that come up as we’re there. For us, it would be for pull and not push factors – ie an adventure and the experience, not because we’re unhappy with our life here. There are many things we love about life here.

Anyhow, having mentioned this to friends/fam, the general consensus is that whilst we could buy a good house without a mortgage and enjoy a better family centric lifestyle, that it is a one-way ticket!

Not literally, but in terms of should we decide to come back to the UK in a few years time, we could be quite a bit behind where we left off so to speak, e.g. not be able to buy back our house in the UK for example, even though we do have a huge mortgage on it! My husband agreed that this is more than likely to be the case, but that would be the price we would pay for the experience.

So for those of you who have already made the move, or are about to (a few of you!), what do you think of this view, and what were your ‘plans’ in going such as try it out, hope to stay for 10 years but certainly not forever etc etc? In fact, I would love to hear anyone's view on this as I know a couple of you have moved back such as KJP, Shepslady etc.
Hi Uk+Kiwi

Really dont think I can add anything to this for you. I think maybe you have got things a little wrong in thinking Im one who has moved back. Im a Kiwi currently living in the US but like to hang out on the NZ forum to hopefully give some help to those who want to find out about NZ when I can & also because it helps cure my homesickness a little. I dont know all there is to know about NZ but I did live ther continuously for 40 years & was lucky enough to have travelled all over the country extensively so can tell a little of my personal experiences etc.
Goodluck in whatever you decide.

Cheers
Shepslady
shepslady is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 8:53 am
  #23  
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0
Thread Starter
 
uk+kiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,606
uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

Originally Posted by shepslady
Hi Uk+Kiwi

Really dont think I can add anything to this for you. I think maybe you have got things a little wrong in thinking Im one who has moved back. Im a Kiwi currently living in the US but like to hang out on the NZ forum to hopefully give some help to those who want to find out about NZ when I can & also because it helps cure my homesickness a little. I dont know all there is to know about NZ but I did live ther continuously for 40 years & was lucky enough to have travelled all over the country extensively so can tell a little of my personal experiences etc.
Goodluck in whatever you decide.

Cheers
Shepslady
Hi Shepslady,

Thanks for your message. Sorry I did get a little confused. I knew you are a Kiwi, but you are right in that I had thought you had returned from the US. Sorry for the mistake. Are you enjoying your time in the States? We have family there in the Bay area, all meeting up in NZ for Xmas which will be the first time in a very long time, plus with all the children this time - quite exciting, I'm sure you can appreciate what I mean .

I hope your homesickness isn't too bad. Does the forum make it worse as well as better or just better for you? Do love reading your posts.
uk+kiwi is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 8:57 am
  #24  
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0
Thread Starter
 
uk+kiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,606
uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

Originally Posted by Don
As far as I can see the main problem is crap pay compared to the UK, ie are you prepared to get paid less than half what you would get back home just to live in a nice place when things generally cost the same apart from house and petrol/ diesel?
Know exactly where you're coming from Don! That is essentially the predicament isn't it? But if I can't afford my cheap holiday to Fiji or Oz and some skiing pretty much down the road, then we may as well stay here where we can't afford those things! Well I don't really mean that as I love the space in NZ and I do think in many ways for children, the lifestyle is a bit like when I grew up - more relaxed, less materialistic, outdoor lifestyle etc etc. Plus the sunshine is a good draw, especially for my native husband!

Keep smiling - no rain here yet today!
uk+kiwi is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:20 pm
  #25  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Auckland, North Shore.
Posts: 13
AndyF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Know exactly where you're coming from Don! That is essentially the predicament isn't it? But if I can't afford my cheap holiday to Fiji or Oz and some skiing pretty much down the road, then we may as well stay here where we can't afford those things! Well I don't really mean that as I love the space in NZ and I do think in many ways for children, the lifestyle is a bit like when I grew up - more relaxed, less materialistic, outdoor lifestyle etc etc. Plus the sunshine is a good draw, especially for my native husband!

Keep smiling - no rain here yet today!
It's a good point Don, people always think the grass is gonna be greener on the other side, and for some people it doesnt work out.

I think pay wise it depends on your occupation. I will earn approx 2.2 times in dollars what I earn in pounds here in the UK. But the cost of living in NZ compared to here is a lot lower, just compare the cost of NZ rates to UK council tax, petrol, car and home insurance, food, eating out, holiday accomodation, houses and land, and there are so many free things to enjoy in NZ. Yes, if someone was only motivated by wanting to make as much money as they can, may be NZ isn't the place for them, but if they want to earn decent enough money, and enjoy a rich life style in other ways, then NZ is a cool place to live. It's all about making the right decision in your own circumstances.

Cheers
AndyF
AndyF is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:47 pm
  #26  
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate
 
shepslady's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: ExPat Kiwi in Indiana USA
Posts: 1,865
shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hi Shepslady,


I hope your homesickness isn't too bad. Does the forum make it worse as well as better or just better for you? Do love reading your posts.
In answer to your question no it doesnt make it worse because in general most people are genuinely interested in most things about NZ but I do get sick of the negative things seen on here sometimes but it doesnt bother me too much, think personally its the BS comments made by some who havent spent a lot of time in NZ seeing the whole country. They give their views on NZ in general after having only been to one or two places etc & it really does give a wrong impression in my mind. All this talk of low wages etc doesnt mean diddly squat to me either because I know a good existence can be had there regardless of the wages & this continual comparison to UK wages is the first step to not making things work. The quality of life is very good but then its only going to be as good as you make it.

P.S. The average NZ family can afford to spend vacations in Australia & Fiji. Air fares to both are usually really low which helps a lot.
shepslady is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.