Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

Old May 31st 2005, 12:41 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

We are considering a family move to NZ sometime next year. OH is a Kiwi, I have visited several times, but we haven’t been for 8 years – hence a reckie this Xmas. It would be a flexible move without definite plans – ie jobs and timeframe to be decided later and dependant on how much we enjoyed life in NZ & opportunities that come up as we’re there. For us, it would be for pull and not push factors – ie an adventure and the experience, not because we’re unhappy with our life here. There are many things we love about life here.

Anyhow, having mentioned this to friends/fam, the general consensus is that whilst we could buy a good house without a mortgage and enjoy a better family centric lifestyle, that it is a one-way ticket!

Not literally, but in terms of should we decide to come back to the UK in a few years time, we could be quite a bit behind where we left off so to speak, e.g. not be able to buy back our house in the UK for example, even though we do have a huge mortgage on it! My husband agreed that this is more than likely to be the case, but that would be the price we would pay for the experience.

So for those of you who have already made the move, or are about to (a few of you!), what do you think of this view, and what were your ‘plans’ in going such as try it out, hope to stay for 10 years but certainly not forever etc etc? In fact, I would love to hear anyone's view on this as I know a couple of you have moved back such as KJP, Shepslady etc.
Old May 31st 2005, 12:45 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think it's a one-way ticket?

Never been before - going for a recce in Aug, but mainly job hunting - then all family going out in Sept.
Most definetely a one way ticket!
Old May 31st 2005, 1:16 pm

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddy
Never been before - going for a recce in Aug, but mainly job hunting - then all family going out in Sept.
Hi Biddy,

Thanks for the reply. Now I'm not a negative person, but I do have to ask - how do you know you'll like it??? And what happens if you don't? Any chance of home sickness or do you doubt it?
Old May 31st 2005, 1:35 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hi Biddy,

Thanks for the reply. Now I'm not a negative person, but I do have to ask - how do you know you'll like it??? And what happens if you don't? Any chance of home sickness or do you doubt it?
Very difficult to say with certainty - I guess it's one of those things you get 'in your bones' - or I'm daft and naive!
Can I refer you to the start of the 'Sorry to be positive...' thread - probably on page 2, 3 or 4 by now, which may give you a better insight!

In my mind I cannot allow myself to think it's temporary - otherwise why not just go on a long holiday! It is a permanent move and I expect it to have its challenges which we will overcome one by one. At the end of year 1 or 2 we will sit back and assess 'where we are' and where we want to go - by that I mean internally in NZ - we may start our own business or switch locations perhaps.

At the end of the day this move is primarily about securing a better Q of life for our kids and us.

Hope that helps
Biddy
Old May 31st 2005, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

nessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nice

Hi UK + Kiwi

I'm totally in agreement with Biddy. this is what we are doing, and with the same reasoning. We don't hate this country but see many positives, particulalry for the children, in NZ. Plus - what a great adventure!!

N
Old May 31st 2005, 2:51 pm
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by nessie
Hi UK + Kiwi

I'm totally in agreement with Biddy. this is what we are doing, and with the same reasoning. We don't hate this country but see many positives, particulalry for the children, in NZ. Plus - what a great adventure!!

N
Good for you Nessie! I expect you've already mentioned this in another thread, but where are you headed and when?
Old May 31st 2005, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

nessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nice

Biddy

We're headed for Chch - hopefully end August (if the house sells!). We plan to settle around Diamond Harbour/Banks way. The house market in Milton Keynes seems to have come to a halt at the moment though so we may have to change our dates

N
Old May 31st 2005, 4:54 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy

We're headed for Chch - hopefully end August (if the house sells!). We plan to settle around Diamond Harbour/Banks way. The house market in Milton Keynes seems to have come to a halt at the moment though so we may have to change our dates

N
Chch was once our 1st choice - then AKL and now Welly! I'm sure the house market will pick up, hopefully soon. What happens if it doesn't though? Will you reduce the price for a quick sale or just wait? It's a dilemma!
Cheers
Biddy
Old May 31st 2005, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Chch was once our 1st choice - then AKL and now Welly! I'm sure the house market will pick up, hopefully soon. What happens if it doesn't though? Will you reduce the price for a quick sale or just wait? It's a dilemma!
Cheers
Biddy
Biddy

House has been on the market for 10 weeks - we have reduced the price today by £8k (sob, sob) - fingers crossed this will get some interest. If it doesn't sell, we will have to postpone our move. What changed your mind about you destination BTW?
Cheers
N
Old May 31st 2005, 6:04 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy

House has been on the market for 10 weeks - we have reduced the price today by £8k (sob, sob) - fingers crossed this will get some interest. If it doesn't sell, we will have to postpone our move. What changed your mind about you destination BTW?
Cheers
N
Time to think things over I guess. Originally thought Ch as English orientated, near to skiing etc, but advice I got from rec agencies suggested work would be difficult to find (I'm looking at healthcare sales management) so changed our minds to Auck. Then i found out that as we'd got PR I didn't necessarily have to find this particular line of work so we changed our mind to Welly which seems to have the best of both worlds - fair amount of work, scenery, access to both islands and reasonable weather.
Something like that anyway!
Old May 31st 2005, 6:48 pm

Very difficult to say with certainty - I guess it's one of those things you get 'in your bones' - or I'm daft and naive!
Can I refer you to the start of the 'Sorry to be positive...' thread - probably on page 2, 3 or 4 by now, which may give you a better insight!

In my mind I cannot allow myself to think it's temporary - otherwise why not just go on a long holiday! It is a permanent move and I expect it to have its challenges which we will overcome one by one. At the end of year 1 or 2 we will sit back and assess 'where we are' and where we want to go - by that I mean internally in NZ - we may start our own business or switch locations perhaps.

At the end of the day this move is primarily about securing a better Q of life for our kids and us.

Hope that helps
Biddy
Hi Biddy - Just re-read your 'sorry to be positive' thread - brilliant! With an attitude like that, I am sure you will make a go of it and I wish you every success. I was just curious about your confidence having not been there. But NZ is truly beautiful, esp. the South Island, and does offer what you are looking for. For us, I think it would be great having numerous beaches on the door step and skiing only a couple of hours away - it would open up activities that we simply cannot afford to do here, or are too far away. I can remember my OH going on weekend water-skiing/jet-skiing adventures whilst at Auckland Uni, although I was quite happily drinking and dancing away mine in the UK! Anyhow, children's bedtime beckons for the moment...
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Diggles is an unknown quantity at this point

I also agree. We sent in our EOI at the end of Sept last year and got our PR visas at the beginning of April due to my husband getting a job offer. He actually spent 6 weeks there in Feb/Mar doing a recce and having job interviews etc., as I wanted him to be as sure as possible it was the right decision for us, as neither of us had ever been before but just felt it would be right! He moved over in late April to start his new job and then I travelled out in May for a 3 week visit and we found our dream house while I was there.

Back in the UK I am working my notice and trying to get the house sold, furniture etc. sorted for shipping, selling or dumping, animals organised - (yes they are all coming too!), selling shares, cashing in endowment policies, selling cars, working out how best to change our money etc., etc., I'm sure those of you who have been through it know exactly what I mean!! I think for us it definitely has to be a one-way ticket otherwise I dread to think of the real financial cost of relocating and then coming back to the UK if it didn't work out.

We are really looking at this as a 'New Life' and a great adventure which I can't wait to be able to start - hopefully in July!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:41 am
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diggles
I also agree. We sent in our EOI at the end of Sept last year and got our PR visas at the beginning of April due to my husband getting a job offer. He actually spent 6 weeks there in Feb/Mar doing a recce and having job interviews etc., as I wanted him to be as sure as possible it was the right decision for us, as neither of us had ever been before but just felt it would be right! He moved over in late April to start his new job and then I travelled out in May for a 3 week visit and we found our dream house while I was there.

Back in the UK I am working my notice and trying to get the house sold, furniture etc. sorted for shipping, selling or dumping, animals organised - (yes they are all coming too!), selling shares, cashing in endowment policies, selling cars, working out how best to change our money etc., etc., I'm sure those of you who have been through it know exactly what I mean!! I think for us it definitely has to be a one-way ticket otherwise I dread to think of the real financial cost of relocating and then coming back to the UK if it didn't work out.

We are really looking at this as a 'New Life' and a great adventure which I can't wait to be able to start - hopefully in July!
Well with that kind of positive attitude you'll do fine Diggles....
sounds like you are really getting it all together and it won't be long now before you can join your husband and begin your new life...
good luck to you

It's definitely a one-way ticket for us I think...
no problems with the UK, we live in a beautiful part of North Yorkshire too,
but just seems a much better lifestyle for the kids and the family as a whole in NZ...

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Jun 2nd 2005 at 9:44 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:54 am
Just Joined

AndyF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
We are considering a family move to NZ sometime next year. OH is a Kiwi, I have visited several times, but we haven’t been for 8 years – hence a reckie this Xmas. It would be a flexible move without definite plans – ie jobs and timeframe to be decided later and dependant on how much we enjoyed life in NZ & opportunities that come up as we’re there. For us, it would be for pull and not push factors – ie an adventure and the experience, not because we’re unhappy with our life here. There are many things we love about life here.

Anyhow, having mentioned this to friends/fam, the general consensus is that whilst we could buy a good house without a mortgage and enjoy a better family centric lifestyle, that it is a one-way ticket!

Not literally, but in terms of should we decide to come back to the UK in a few years time, we could be quite a bit behind where we left off so to speak, e.g. not be able to buy back our house in the UK for example, even though we do have a huge mortgage on it! My husband agreed that this is more than likely to be the case, but that would be the price we would pay for the experience.

So for those of you who have already made the move, or are about to (a few of you!), what do you think of this view, and what were your ‘plans’ in going such as try it out, hope to stay for 10 years but certainly not forever etc etc? In fact, I would love to hear anyone's view on this as I know a couple of you have moved back such as KJP, Shepslady etc.

We lived in Auckland between 1997 and 2001, we had a brilliant time. We decided to come back to the UK to see whether we could live here again, and also start a family. After four years back here, we have decided for definate that our future (including two kids) belongs in NZ, so we've now sold our house and are heading back out in September.

For me the main reasons to move back to NZ are:
Outdoor lifestyle - if you like going down the beach and surfing then you'll love NZ.
Cheaper Lifestyle - everything is generally cheaper in NZ (although you do earn less), but a lot of stuff is just free in NZ, head down the beach, spend the day there, costs very little, in the UK everything you want to do seems to cost you. Compare the cost of NZ rates to UK Council Tax.
Safer Environment - I'm not saying crime doesnt exist in NZ, but it is certainly a lot lower than in the UK, especially violent crime. So, for me a better place for us to bring up the kids.
More Room - There is just more room to move around, bigger houses, more land, space when you go down the beach, less traffic (except Auckland rush hour).
Weather - All four years we lived in NZ we had great summers, basically you can take the kids camping from October to April. In the UK I'd say realistically youd be looking at three months max. And no frost in the winter (depending on where you head to in NZ).
Sports - Surfing in the summer, snowboarding in the winter. If you enjoy these two sports or other sports like kayaking or rafting you can do it in NZ.

Reasons for not going to NZ:
Family - We think the only thing we will will miss is family, obviously the distance is a factor that stops some people heading out to NZ
Football - If you are a big football fan then you'll miss it in NZ. You get a prem live game a week on sky, and some highlights, but NZ is absolutely Rugby Union mad, that is to them as football is in this country.

Hope you come to the right decision for you, because NZ isn't right for everyone, we just know it's right for us. Why don't you rent your house out here for a year, while you head out there to decide, then if you want to come back you'll still have a house to move back into.

AndyF
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by AndyF
We lived in Auckland between 1997 and 2001, we had a brilliant time. We decided to come back to the UK to see whether we could live here again, and also start a family. After four years back here, we have decided for definate that our future (including two kids) belongs in NZ, so we've now sold our house and are heading back out in September.

For me the main reasons to move back to NZ are:
Outdoor lifestyle - if you like going down the beach and surfing then you'll love NZ.
Cheaper Lifestyle - everything is generally cheaper in NZ (although you do earn less), but a lot of stuff is just free in NZ, head down the beach, spend the day there, costs very little, in the UK everything you want to do seems to cost you. Compare the cost of NZ rates to UK Council Tax.
Safer Environment - I'm not saying crime doesnt exist in NZ, but it is certainly a lot lower than in the UK, especially violent crime. So, for me a better place for us to bring up the kids.
More Room - There is just more room to move around, bigger houses, more land, space when you go down the beach, less traffic (except Auckland rush hour).
Weather - All four years we lived in NZ we had great summers, basically you can take the kids camping from October to April. In the UK I'd say realistically youd be looking at three months max. And no frost in the winter (depending on where you head to in NZ).
Sports - Surfing in the summer, snowboarding in the winter. If you enjoy these two sports or other sports like kayaking or rafting you can do it in NZ.

Reasons for not going to NZ:
Family - We think the only thing we will will miss is family, obviously the distance is a factor that stops some people heading out to NZ
Football - If you are a big football fan then you'll miss it in NZ. You get a prem live game a week on sky, and some highlights, but NZ is absolutely Rugby Union mad, that is to them as football is in this country.

Hope you come to the right decision for you, because NZ isn't right for everyone, we just know it's right for us. Why don't you rent your house out here for a year, while you head out there to decide, then if you want to come back you'll still have a house to move back into.

AndyF
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your insight. I absolutely agree with the pos/negatives that you have listed in your message. No-one's into football so that would be fine!

We will have a much clearer idea after our trip at Xmas as I know there has been a lot of development and changes in the Auckland/surrounding areas which we would be considering, in the 8 years since we last visited. We think we know the area pretty well and as a family we could live there, we're just not sure for how long - hence the thread question. My husband is from the North Shore. Whereabouts are you heading? And where did you live in Auckland previously?

We have considered renting out our house initially to keep our foot in the UK property market, but to be honest we wouldn't really want the potential headache from issues such as void periods (mortgage too big to service from NZ dollars) as we would want to focus on the 'new life' so to speak. Also, we would need money to buy/build a house.

So again many thanks - will keep chewing it over - and keep the views coming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.