Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do you really want to come to NZ?

Originally Posted by Lookin2Oz
You have to be kidding right

The French have to be THE sexiest women for me and I spent a bit of time there for work.

As for the socks & sandals, it was a joke but I guess I have to spell that out.

See heaps of “Kewl” youngsters with all the gear on and then there it is - jandles & socks.

As for sophistication in Europe, it could be like a sense of humour, you gotta have it to appreciate it or understand it
Being sexy and being well dressed are not necessarily related....the Pope is well dressed but he is not sexy.

The French do a good job of selling themselves as well dressed and/or sexy, bit like selling your country as 'clean and green' however its all about perceptions, France is the home of haute couture, so that helps with the well dressed image it likes to portray, the reality is somewhat different I have found though.....all those Mediterranean women with their bingo wings flapping. Its up there with pjs in the supermarket
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:27 pm
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by janek
Being sexy and being well dressed are not necessarily related....the Pope is well dressed but he is not sexy.

The French do a good job of selling themselves as well dressed and/or sexy, bit like selling your country as 'clean and green' however its all about perceptions, France is the home of haute couture, so that helps with the well dressed image it likes to portray, the reality is somewhat different I have found though.....all those Mediterranean women with their bingo wings flapping. Its up there with pjs in the supermarket
Didn’t do the bingo halls myself , perhaps you are judging France by your bad experience.

Agree with you on the dress thing but I gotta admit my missus looks a lot sexier in her mini skirt rather than her wellies and hi-viz vest
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

what on earth is a bingo wing ?
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:31 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
The flesh that dangles under your triceps
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure either but maybe it's flappy upper arm flab?
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

sorry about that; it is the piece of loose skin on the upper arm of an older woman and men for that matter too, it is usually more noticable on women because they often [esp. in hot countries] wear sleveless dresses,/tops.

In well dressed circles it would be considered inappropriate not to be wearing sleeves over the age of 50, but not in necessarily french or italian circles from what I have seen anyway, the Greeks like showing the old bingo wing or two as well, and I won't even start on the overweight Europeans in bikinis and g strings....

I think it is a phrase coined from Viz comic about pensioners who visit bingo halls.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:02 pm
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lardyl
That's why its called a brick veneer.....

And you do get phat exhausts on the shore, in Torbay even.

You certainly get them on our street which has quite a few 750k upward sections and a smattering of 1-3mil houses built on them.....rather posh at least at this end.....

We have a dirty great speed bump in front of the mail box with gouge marks to prove it....

There are quite a few veneers in NZ

I believe Mt Maunganui property to be considered posh , expensive or whatever else we can call it.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10539177
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:17 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

In well dressed circles it would be considered inappropriate not to be wearing sleeves over the age of 50.
Really.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Really.
I have no intention of keeping to this style rule myself as I will be 50 next year and will be growing up as disgracefully as a I have always done....I don't make up the 'rules' - see Susannah and Trinny for all that, they write books on it....theres another one about 'no knees over 40', [no short skirts] as well and I do manage to stick to that......most of the time
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have no intention of keeping to this style rule myself as I will be 50 next year and will be growing up as disgracefully as a I have always done....I don't make up the 'rules' - see Susannah and Trinny for all that, they write books on it....theres another one about 'no knees over 40', [no short skirts] as well and I do manage to stick to that......most of the time
Oh! Those two twittering nitwits. Pretentious sloane cr*p. Give me the gay bloke who dresses women who hate their shape anytime. Now, that man has a real feel for shape & style .
As for someone else's rules . Bah !
Old Oct 24th 2008, 4:37 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Sandals and socks is most definitely not an NZ thing, it was English but doesn't seem that popular anymore amongst the younger generations. The biggest culprits these days are the Europeans, especially the Dutch and Scandanavians for some reason.
So come on are you in the UK (as you claim in one thread) or in NZ??? If in the UK are you using webcams to check on which NZers are wearting the dreaded combinations?

As far as the socks and sandals goes, over here next to "Darby and Joan-by-the-Sea" (ie Orewa), there are plenty of people who will call themselves "Kiwis" wearing these along with the headgear I mentioned.....
Have you and our forty-something style princess never seen those hats or is that a style "issue" of NZ that you (and the other NZ fashion victims here) would like to ignore????

By the way those two sloane rangers come style-gurus, Trinnie and the other tart, are totally rah-to$$er$.......says captain "super Oik"
Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
So come on are you in the UK (as you claim in one thread) or in NZ??? If in the UK are you using webcams to check on which NZers are wearting the dreaded combinations?

As far as the socks and sandals goes, over here next to "Darby and Joan-by-the-Sea" (ie Orewa), there are plenty of people who will call themselves "Kiwis" wearing these along with the headgear I mentioned.....
Have you and our forty-something style princess never seen those hats or is that a style "issue" of NZ that you (and the other NZ fashion victims here) would like to ignore????
No one is ignoring anything (you are extremely paranoid and seem to have a chip on your shoulder), and I was talking about socks and sandals, not hats.

There aren't many people in NZ that would admire socks and sandals contrary to what you want to believe. You can try and make it seem otherwise but the fact is Brits are known the world over for this habit. Anyone wearing them in NZ is generally an expat or retains vestigial remnants of the British Empires fashion sense. There is also the case of younger people wearing white socks and various open shoes but this seems to be some sort of 'gangsta' fashion imported from the US.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...icle679563.ece
Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:09 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Trinny and Tranny have at least one thing going for them imo - they advocate for dressing well rather than losing weight.

Ok, I don't quite agree with them all the time, and I certainly don't think that the world needs each and every victim to look like either Trinny or Susannah (normally Susannah) but at least they advocate for going with what you have rather than what you could have.

Of course, they then turn around and say disparaging remarks about 'cheap' stores that are still out of the budget of many people. Still, the not advocating for losing weight makes them have a redeeming feature imho.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Trinny and Tranny have at least one thing going for them imo - they advocate for dressing well rather than losing weight.

Ok, I don't quite agree with them all the time, and I certainly don't think that the world needs each and every victim to look like either Trinny or Susannah (normally Susannah) but at least they advocate for going with what you have rather than what you could have.

Of course, they then turn around and say disparaging remarks about 'cheap' stores that are still out of the budget of many people. Still, the not advocating for losing weight makes them have a redeeming feature imho.
Trinny & Co would have a heart attack if they came to NZ, as would Jeremy Clarkson, which is more to the point of this thread.

I doubt even petrol-knob-head Clarkson would think much to the idiot car culture in NZ.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
I doubt even petrol-knob-head Clarkson would think much to the idiot car culture in NZ.
Clarkson actually loves NZ, its the one country he has said he could live in apart from the UK. He is not keen at all on Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.