Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Old Oct 23rd 2008, 5:07 am
Just Joined

shan63 is an unknown quantity at this point

bourbon biscuit
Sorry wrong wording about reaping the rewards.........

As a kiwi unless you both have three jobs each I dont know how you get ahead..............Thats why we are living in Saudi Arabia for a couple of years.

As for kiwis having the worst attitude of driving..............

You aint seen nothing yet.............come drive in Saudi, (Not that women are allowd to drive here) no indicators, no seat belts, the kids stand up in the front, babies on mums knees in the front seat. And the highest anywhere for accidents. We were driving at 150km the otha day and were passed by half a dozen cars!!!

Sheesh you guys dont know how lucky you are, I would give anything to drive in wellington or Auckland at the moment.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 23rd 2008 at 5:25 am. Reason: merge tw posts
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 5:34 am
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Do you really want to come to NZ?

Originally Posted by shan63
bourbon biscuit
Sorry wrong wording about reaping the rewards.........

As a kiwi unless you both have three jobs each I dont know how you get ahead..............Thats why we are living in Saudi Arabia for a couple of years.
Interesting !
My view is that I walk around the many marinas here and there is big money here, I don’t think the Kiwis like to show it and downplay it. Probably so the folk working on minimum wage don’t all join the exodus to Australia. Or getting a job flippin’ burgers in the UK that pays more than the jobs here. The wages here in NZ are a joke

I have NEVER come across such a money hugging bunch in all my life, and I am Scots.

You aint seen nothing yet.............come drive in Saudi, (Not that women are allowd to drive here) no indicators, no seat belts, the kids stand up in the front, babies on mums knees in the front seat. And the highest anywhere for accidents. We were driving at 150km the otha day and were passed by half a dozen cars!!!

Sheesh you guys dont know how lucky you are, I would give anything to drive in wellington or Auckland at the moment.
Personally I think the standards of roads here in NZ have a lot to do with the problem. Some of the roads they refer to here as “highways” are no more than donkey tracks. That of course ties-in with the above, that is, it costs money to build roads. When the roads need repairs you see the patch-it-up brigade there every six months re-patching the same mess.

Of course, huge trucks thundering along donkey tracks are going to cause problems anywhere
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

For the record based on my experience, I have never moaned about the general driving standards in NZ....the odd boy racer apart.....compared to last EU country I was in, I find central Wellington driving polite and non-aggressive...whenever I have returned to visit UK whilst living abroad despite vast volume of traffic, the politeness I remembered prevails.

You are right about the Middle East (and Africa too), road death rates for western expats are high in these countries. It's the one thing even a multinational employer can't totally cushion you from.

Going back to NZ, most roads between the centres of population are like UK B roads...however NZ has lots of 'passing lanes'..which seem to work really well..slower vehicles also pull off a lot or keep left a lot to facilitate safe/easy overtaking by faster vehicles.....politeness and courtesy again....I am speaking as I have found... and do not dispute the reality of Browner's 'boy racer problem'. Could probably do with more 'passing lanes' in the UK on B roads actually.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 5:56 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Browner_
I'll take issue with you there. UK is vast and has a vast infrastructure and vast road network and vast village network.

There are plenty of lovely places to live in the UK, Im not a city person at all. Admittedly it aint cheap.

In NZ , the road and village infrastructure is virtually non-existent. The options available to you are extremely limited.

After a while, the walls may close in on you in NZ, they have done for me.

I have spent time in England and Europe every year for the past 4 years, and I know where Id rather be.
Sorry Browner but Im thinking Victor Meldrew....
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...10_468x493.jpg
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

kayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud of

NZ isn't for everyone and thank god for that, otherwise it would get over populated and therefore spoilt very quickly (like the uk maybe?) personally I'm glad there are people on here who don't like the place. I hope they put more people off coming....

I lived in a tiny hamlet in the Uk in a beautiful part of the country (and even though I've moved to a town here in NZ it's lovely and peaceful and I'm so chuffed I've made this choice. There are problems everywhere in the world and nobody should expect paradise. if you do you are doomed! I'm hoping people that don't like NZ have lived in enough places big and small to base this decision on.

I knew a girl in the UK who spent 3 disastrous months in Christchurch with her Kiwi boyfriend who then dumped her and she came home telling everyone how NZ was the pits?!!!! never saw any other place and lived in quite a deprived area so heh, no sh..... sherlock. how can anyone slag a country off if they haven't seen more than 1 place and surely her personal experiences clouded the issue....
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Browner_
Now I know I will be criticized for being negative, but this post has been a while in the making and needs to be said.

After 5 years in Wellington I think I have reached breaking point and am going to have to return to UK.

I have quite a few issues with Wellington and NZ in general but I cant even be bothered to address those here.

But the major problem troubling me is that, well, its a noisy crap-hole isnt it, infested by boy racer/hoon scum with no concern for anyone else.

After another day of being buzzed by plenty of cars which are modified to be ludicrously noisy, and also Harley type bikes that would wake the dead, I have to say that there is really nothing nice about living here.

Combine this with balsa wood houses which provide no sound insulation at all and, well, it would be quieter on the Heathrow flight path (I know, I lived in Hounslow once!)

It really is horrible, and it makes me laff when you hear all this clean green NZ spouted.

Only about 2% of NZers would know how to spell green, let alone contribute to it. They think that as long as 95% of the country is empty, then they can do what they like.

The car culture in NZ is terrible, why they let people get away with making their cars so offensive and annoying to everyone else I shall never now. And then they let 15 year olds drive them.

And I live in a cul-de-sac for Pete's sake, in what is supposed to be one of the most affluent suburbs in NZ.

My advice if anyone thinks they are coming to quiet NZ, is to go and sit in a wooden shed 20 meters from the M1, and see if they like it.
It's a shame you're not giving anywhere else in NZ a chance!

I've just come back after visiting my sister who lives in Torbay on Auckland's North Shore and it was beautiful, peaceful, pretty beaches, cliff walks, respectful neighbourhood, brick house, I could go on..
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:41 am
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by talbot
It's a shame you're not giving anywhere else in NZ a chance!

I've just come back after visiting my sister who lives in Torbay on Auckland's North Shore and it was beautiful, peaceful, pretty beaches, cliff walks, respectful neighbourhood, brick house, I could go on..

Most of the so-called brick houses are not actually a proper brick house.

They are wooden framed with very skimpy dry-walled interior with a cladding of a half-brick exterior.

I know because we live in one and in winter it is cold & damp
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:53 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

That's why its called a brick veneer.....

And you do get phat exhausts on the shore, in Torbay even.

You certainly get them on our street which has quite a few 750k upward sections and a smattering of 1-3mil houses built on them.....rather posh at least at this end.....

We have a dirty great speed bump in front of the mail box with gouge marks to prove it....
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:59 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Sorry Browner but Im thinking Victor Meldrew....
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...10_468x493.jpg
and there was me thinking the Daily Mail/miserable old men/women was the exclusive habitat of the "get out of the UK now - before it sinks" brigade....oh well......live and learn.

I'd watch out or Mr NG will be all over youse like a rash and he is a bloke not to be crossed - shallow but very very determined.....

TBH we have moved from nice area to nice area and there are far more phat exhausts who must have "under-endowed" drivers and regulation pimply/"old enough to know better" fools in souped-up celicas, etc than there were in the worst areas near to our UK place.....but we all have different experiences....
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing

You moved to NZ to reap the finacial rewards ......
Pull the other one, you're 'avin a larf!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lardyl
That's why its called a brick veneer.....

And you do get phat exhausts on the shore, in Torbay even.

You certainly get them on our street which has quite a few 750k upward sections and a smattering of 1-3mil houses built on them.....rather posh at least at this end.....

We have a dirty great speed bump in front of the mail box with gouge marks to prove it....

Okay, so it’s a wooden house with a brick veneer. I stand corrected – thank you

I lived in a few places and the one thing I have learned is that you don’t buy class, posh maybe

Personally I think NZ lacks sophistication, you know, sandals with socks
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:06 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lookin2Oz

I lived in a few places and the one thing I have learned is that you don’t buy class, posh maybe

depends takes all sorts i dont wear sandals with socks...lol

speak for yourself. and thats a english thing

i prefer socks with stiletto's... I kid u
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:48 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Lookin2Oz

peace dude - I am with you, in general agreemet, I was telling our Aussie friend that there is a name for it so it is a real phenomenon in NZ.....
of course NZ lacks sophistication compared to Europe - just look at the amount of real "high culture" here abouts.......
can be part of the appeal though......
yes sandals and socks is an NZ thing too - kinda sets off the fluoro fluffy pork-pie hat that umpteen Kiwis of age 55 to 75 wear.......
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lardyl
peace dude - I am with you, in general agreemet, I was telling our Aussie friend that there is a name for it so it is a real phenomenon in NZ.....
of course NZ lacks sophistication compared to Europe - just look at the amount of real "high culture" here abouts.......
can be part of the appeal though......
yes sandals and socks is an NZ thing too - kinda sets off the fluoro fluffy pork-pie hat that umpteen Kiwis of age 55 to 75 wear.......
There is the quote from Dame Edna Everage, why Australians excel at sport
"Because there is nothing intellectual in Australia to distract people from it."
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:10 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
There is the quote from Dame Edna Everage, why Australians excel at sport
"Because there is nothing intellectual in Australia to distract people from it."
well at least it seems that the Aussies can have a good old laugh at their own expense......he/she'd probably be lynched for daring to suggest that this side of the ditch.....or cut down and made into "heroin"......

Last edited by lardyl; Oct 23rd 2008 at 10:12 am. Reason: gotta get the sex right - the PC police may be out and about

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.