Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Old Oct 21st 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

JasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to all
Default Re: Do you really want to come to NZ?

Originally Posted by eddie_nz
Manslaughter

Murder would require premeditation
Actually it probably be death by dangerous driving.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Yup . It doesn't just pay if the driver is uninsured and all that. It pays if you are the victim of what is a hit and run & no trace is able to be found or proven. I can personally vouch for this, having been in a severe RTA on a motorway in 1972. It took several years for it to finalise as the injuries & loss took time to settle , but 7 years later I received some compensation for that period of my life. Thank you MIB and thank you June.
You are right I forgot to say that it was hit & run as well but unfortunately for him a man who works for a tyre shop recognized the car (it was a Chevrolet not many about) and he gave the details to the police. So he had no insurance, road tax, mot also hit and ran and still only got fined £100 hardly a deterrent. He is probably still driving around without it but nothing will be done until he has another accident and maybe kills someone this time.

My daughter did claimed off MIB for the car repairs, hire car & her injuries.

June
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lardyl
we have ACC to help with some of that and the courts to deal with the yawning gap that is the rest.......
TBH though simply spatting back by saying "well how better is it that you have a law that makes Third Party insurance compulsary - beacuse some people flout it" is the typical one-eyed approach and would not cut it with most Kiwis - well not the ones in the motor trade, police, fire service, ACC and insurance that I have talked to about the absence of compulsory insurance...several in the trade have suggested tagging this onto the rego like they do in Ozzie, doubt you pro-Kiwi zealots would like that though, can't have the Australians having "better ideas", at least you can't admit it on a public forum.
Margaret it is just a debating point that shows the poster just wants to take a pop at anything different and try to sidestep the real point - having no requirement for insurance means that kids driving big, dangerous, fast cars they cannot handle is more likely than were there to be a scale of insurance based on age, engine size, etc.......
as a matter of fact there are further measures other than crushing the car available for serial traffic criminals in the UK - I used to work with the lawyers that prosecuted and defended those cases so I know a little about the subject - "just" crushing the car is a pretty direct one, and one that NZ has taken on board for hoons and the like - but wait a minute, that can't be right must have been a Kiwi idea first........ yeah right.......
Of course Australians can have better/great ideas....where do you drag this stuff up from??
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Browner, you were saying that Auckland wouldn't be restful for you. Yes, if you lived on the motorway, but most folks live in suburbs. I live in one of the leafy streets on the North Shore and it is so quiet. It is quite peacful and lovely here, and you could count the cars which come down here every day. There are many places like this here. The street is so green with trees, shrubs and flowers all around. Like you, I couldn't live in a noisy, trafficky road full of noisy people. In fact at night you would think you were in the country, and I'm only five minutes from the local shopping centre.

Certainly, I take my time when looking for a place and don't take the first thing that comes along, and I've always managed to rent pleasant places here.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
methinks that there is a little "cross purposes" going on here - some posters are equating "boy racers" to literal "Need for Speed"-type events and Browner is objecting to the general noise made by hoons in modded/clapped out cars, some of which are being driven at excessive speed. That is a problem throughout NZ and the standard of maintenance of the vehicles the absence of much obvious enforcement and the trend to get a bigger exhaust, be it to impress the ladies/make up for certain deficiencies, etc all contribute to this anti-social behaviour. Down with Hoons , up with nice quiet and safe streets . All power to Browner and his lobbying mates.

You are absolutely dead right there.

I have had the pleasure (or misfortune) to be out and about in Porirua and Mana this morning, close to fairly busy roads.

The number of offensively noisy cars going up and down was amazing. No-one can convince me that UK is anything like that, not anywhere Ive been thank god anyway.

Stupid throaty exhausts as they pull away from roundabouts.. I mean, something is wrong when a Honda Civic is as noisy as a 50-seater bus!

Why oh why do people do this, it is so idiotic, I would have thought making your car noisy was not a priority for the 'poor' people of NZ.

I was in the library and couldnt even read a book because of the hoons going up and down.

If anyone thinks this is a desirable state of affairs, and a desirable place to live, then they are welcome to it.

I'll give you another example - Days Bay beach in Eastbourne any time in summer. A lovely little beach half hour out of Wellington. You might as well go sunbathing behind the pits at Brands Hatch.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Mixter is an unknown quantity at this point

Im beginning to think that my UK root is obviously a much nicer area than NZ or parts of the UK. More reason to go back there.
Thats right mate,You get yourself back here - where there are NO loud exhausts/music from cars - that are NOT racing about the streets where NO helicopters are overhead.....neither have we NO damp or draughty housing in our spacious under-populated country, where there are NO laws that fine you for so much as putting your trash out on the wrong day!! I just hope you are sitting down when you get here!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mixter
Thats right mate,You get yourself back here - where there are NO loud exhausts/music from cars - that are NOT racing about the streets where NO helicopters are overhead.....neither have we NO damp or draughty housing in our spacious under-populated country, where there are NO laws that fine you for so much as putting your trash out on the wrong day!! I just hope you are sitting down when you get here!

I said where I come from, not where you come from!

I left something good, thinking it might be better in NZ, at least giving it a try.

It aint better, its much worse.

If I came from Leeds, maybe I would think its better.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Definately none of the 'non-drawbacks' anywhere near Leeds! My god, are you in for a surprise!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:38 am
Just Joined

I just re-read your comment, and realised i misunderstood it. You dont know where in Yorkshire i am...its a bloody big place - likeley bigger than wherever it is you hail from! Which i will still maintain - without even knowing, that there will have been significant changes to lifestyles and environments!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:57 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I really, really think they should include insurance in the rego- it's such an easy way to do it, I don't understand why it hasn't been done!

I can't say I have any problems ever with noisy cars because I do live quite rural but my dh who works in mental health tells me stories of clients who bring in films made of their weekend fun involving hours of footage of burnouts in car parks and do-nuts and the like The mind boggles!!! And I'm not sure there's any law to prevent it
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I can't say I have any problems ever with noisy cars because I do live quite rural but my dh who works in mental health tells me stories of clients who bring in films made of their weekend fun involving hours of footage of burnouts in car parks and do-nuts and the like The mind boggles!!! And I'm not sure there's any law to prevent it
Interesting, so these 'donut' idiots are driving punters to mental health issues!
Thankfully, my area is not as bad as that, but it is certainly a stressor as it ruins what would be a reasonably pleasant environment.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:49 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's just the sort of thing that young hopeless (in true sense of word) people find fun
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:54 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Luckily I dont see if here either...so i count my blessings

then again in the Uk used to get gangs of hoodies at the local park smashing bottles and even throwing bottles through my brothers windows in his house...yep much better in the Uk...

different problems everywhere im afraid. but I know where I would rather be
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

I would sooner have a bottle thrown at me than be ran over by some 15/16 spoiled brat behind a wheel posing in front of his mates. I count my blessings. Cannibis,cheap booze,crap jap import........recipe for death. The cemetries must be full of the little shits.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:20 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

yes and i dont agree with them driving at 15...but anyway

happy days are here again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.