Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you really want to come to NZ?

Originally Posted by Browner_
Unfortunately I have to agree with you 100%

Yes all Patrick's points are true and valid. NZ has some really shitty laws and some terrible ways and attitudes. The general standard of driving is crap anyway and you don't need insurance. How daft is that? NZ is backwards in many ways.

The latter make it unattractive however some of the backward stuff does have appeal. NZ like I always say, like anywhere else has loads of problems. NZ is way far from perfect as a country, however it does afford some of us a better life than we left behind (inspite of all the issues that prevail here) and for some of us..for many varied reasons we find NZ a suitable and acceptable place to rest us hats.

Which is rather nice.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

and generally speaking people dont drive noise-offensive vehicles like they do in NZ
Don't they? I live in a very small town and we have got them here as well as other places. I think its the same the world over.

June
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cally49
one of my friends daughters had 1.500 worth of speeding fines within weeks of getting her licence and was in fact stopped twice in one day she ended up losing her licence but still drove her car as every time the collection officer came round to get the licence she was out! This went on for months and mummy and daddy ended up paying the fines...
I think that gives a good example of the kind of mentality that is fuelling the problem
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Have you been back to the UK lately? I heard plenty of loud exhausts over there and the standard of driving I saw was shocking. I take back most of the things I've said about NZ drivers after two weeks of driving around Leeds, Bradford and North Yorkshire.

Yes I have, but not that area. Doesnt sound very promising.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

As for noise - a new regulation has come in with a noise limit of 95dB and I know people who have been forced to add silencers to pass a WOF, so things are starting to improve.
If the car fails it has to be tested at less than 90dB to pass.
Well 95db is ridiculously load for a start. But even so, I cant say regulation has made a big improvement.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I think the moral of this story is to be as sure as you can about where you buy. I realise

Agreed, new immigrants need to be seriously warned. This house was our second effort after the experience of the noisy first one, but this really is horrible.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

My car has a big carbon fibre cold air intake and because it's a turbo it goes whoosh when I lift off the throttle. And it has many other modifications from standard.

It doesn't mean I drive like a cock! Just that I like to play with my car, make it a bit more individual.

It has the standard quiet exhaust.
I aint no car mechanic to know what causes cars to be noisy.

But people who deliberately make their cars noisier are probably treading on their knuckles, it really makes no sense in this day and age

The regulations are stricter in Europe than they are here, but whether they are enforced?? I was in London and the SE this summer and heard maybe one or two unnecessarily loud cars a day.

Here, its one every 20 seconds. The Subarus here - which I assume must be modified cos they arent all like it - are just horrible to listen to.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

As I speak, one of the offending noisy crap heaps has just arrived, on the back of a truck!

The teenage owner drove it off the back, so it couldnt have been broken down, more likely impounded.

God I hate their scummy attitude.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:44 pm

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Genesis
Still as I always say in life one has to live with compromises.
true, if you think NZ has zero problemo's you're in for a big wakeup call. I guess it's all about realistic expectations.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute

As I speak, one of the offending noisy crap heaps has just arrived, on the back of a truck!

The teenage owner drove it off the back, so it couldnt have been broken down, more likely impounded.

God I hate their scummy attitude.
Hi there have you contacted your councils noise control division? It must really suck big time having to put up with that or alternatively go and have a chat with your community constable and ask what can be done...There must be something these jumped up little s**** shouldnt be allowed to be causing the amount of misery that they are.
All the best
Cally
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:32 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting about there being not such a problem of boy racers in the UK. There most certainly is in SW19 (Wimbledon dahhhling). Bladdy 3 series BMWs modified to within an inch of their lives. I guess though, at least the drivers are a bit older and presumably insured (well, you would hope so)..still I used to deal with a lot of job applications and there was a HUGE number of applications where the person declared a 'driving without insurance' conviction. Admittedly that was possibly the type of people we were employing (young, often not very educated etc). Nice and sensible by the time they were employed. Probably a bit naughty earlier on.

Oh, as for Liverpool - I have a soft spot for any place which can have Lamb Bananas.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Do you really want to come to NZ?

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Cally good luck with your plans and karma for such a well-balanced post. I've only missed one proper Christmas so far and I sympathise already on that one.
I know i really want a proper xmas iv'e had a few in the UK the last few years and im sorry folks but nothing even comes close! It's just not right having santa all rugged up at the xmas parade and everyone else in shorts and t shirts lol...
Cally
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a real petrolhead and belong to several motoring forums in the UK - those of you that don't think they exist in the UK are totally deluded. Chavved-up Corsas, Saxos, Imprezas, BMWs etc are all over the place and are driven by complete window lickers.

This is the first time I've even heard it being a problem in NZ (I know there have been problems with illegal drags and teens gathering in cars but that is normally in industrial areas)

http://www.bromsgroveadvertiser.co.u...n_boy_racers_/
http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=580436&hw=+%2Bboy+%2Bracers&nmt=Bo y%20racers,%20you've%20got%20to%20laugh!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/3161...oy-racers.html
http://www.burnhamandhighbridgeweekl...or_boy_racers/

I could go on ad infinitum
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:43 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Three points......

to drive these machines legally in the UK the chavs need insurance - in NZ they do not

driving a car in NZ can start at 15 and at that age there is strong temptation to go out unaccompanied, etc (as happened almost fatally on the shore where those kids got hit by an unaccompanied hoon in a dodgy Celica, or similar) and so this brings down the age that teenagers get behind the wheel and drive dangerously, itself pretty universal....

as others have said there seem to be far more *older* drivers of larger engined or souped up or silencer-free vehicles than there were in the UK - maybe this is some result of there being more Hoons per head of population here so it becomes culturally acceptable......??

just my 2 cents.......
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Do you really want to come to NZ?

Heres some info i found by googling boy racers online http://www.autoxs.co.nz/index.php?op...id=17&Itemid=1

So when we hear these loud exhausts we should ring the cops and get them green stickered.....I do feel they should be made to take the car back a few weeks later though just to make sure that they dont put the exhaust back on as soon as they have a new warrant.
Theres more info and a sheet you can print out on the police link on the same page....................

But the real issue here is raise the driving age thats my belief anyhow it would solve an awful lot of problems and might be something we can all as the electoral candidates that come knocking on our doors shortly if they have any plans to fix it.....
Cally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.