Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:39 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you really want to come to NZ?

Originally Posted by Jokerman
Mate, you forgot something. Don't mention that NZ has problems. Do you notice how much it seems to upset people? Part of NZ's problems if you ask me. Wait till you live there for a few years. Do not criticise NZ. NZ has the ego of a giant but it's self esteem is in it's boots. It can't handle it.
I don't think anyone has a problem with the negatives of NZ being pointed out. It has plenty and potential new migrants need to be aware of them. What I find annoying are the relatively few posters who come on this forum and make consistently negative sweeping generalisations about NZ:
The houses are all cold and damp.
The natives are not freindly
All drivers are hoons
The Kiwis have no sense of humour etc etc....
All the above and others are true in some cases/areas.

BUT they are not true of NZ as a whole.

Balanced ffedback is essential. I've known more than one potential migrant be put off the whole process because of the constant negative comments by the few (more fool them IMO) rather than being fed a diet of pros and cons.

Many of us are very happy here and I would suggest that most poms who arrive adapt and survive quite nicely thankyou.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Biddy
I don't think anyone has a problem with the negatives of NZ being pointed out. It has plenty and potential new migrants need to be aware of them. What I find annoying are the relatively few posters who come on this forum and make consistently negative sweeping generalisations about NZ:
All drivers are hoons

Balanced ffedback is essential. I've known more than one potential migrant be put off the whole process because of the constant negative comments by the few (more fool them IMO) rather than being fed a diet of pros and cons.

Many of us are very happy here and I would suggest that most poms who arrive adapt and survive quite nicely thankyou.

But thats not true is it,because most poms leave and thats a fact. If they never N.Z. would have a population of more than 4 million wouldnt it. Most poms that arrive stay a few years then leave for either Australia or go back home to the U.K. Whether you like it or not its a fact statistically. So why say people arrive and adapt when they dont?
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:56 pm

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Biddy
It seems that negative posters are most unwelcome on this board - one was recently banned. It almost feels like we are intruding into your own private message board, when in fact this is a public board the last time I looked.

All drivers are hoons
At what point does it become safe to make generalisations?
Nice sweeping generalisation! Beg to differ on that one.
Personally, I am glad that negative comments put people of coming to NZ. If more migrants got the message that NZ is not that migrant friendly perhaps the locals will do something about it.
On the one hand you denounce negative posters for generalising, and then do it yourself with your comments, including this :"most poms who arrive adapt and survive". Hey, a cockroach adapts and survives. But is it happy?
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:00 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jokerman
It seems that negative posters are most unwelcome on this board - one was recently banned.
Yawn ! That is not true , as in completely incorrect. Please read carefully.

Lookin2oz was re-banned as he was Campbells.
Campbells was not banned for posting 'negative' stuff about NZ.
He was not even banned by an NZ mod.
He was warned about starting flame threads, not just here, on other Be forums too.
He was warned about this by more than one mod , in more than one area of BE .
He did not heed the warnings.
He was banned following flame posts to another BE forum . Not the NZ one !

I hope that clears that one up for those of you feeling done down somehow by his re-ban.

Now. This is an open forum. It's an information highway. To work it needs balance. All views are welcome on BE. Just make the points and posts within the BE rules.

Oh ! and understand that people may have completely opposite and differing views from your own. Their migrant experiences may be totally opposite to your own. That doesn't make either of you right or wrong. Just flippin' well different.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Do you really want to come to NZ?

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Yawn ! That is not true , as in completely incorrect. Please read carefully.

Lookin2oz was re-banned as he was Campbells.
Campbells was not banned for posting 'negative' stuff about NZ.
He was not even banned by an NZ mod.
He was warned about starting flame threads, not just here, on other Be forums too.
He was warned about this by more than one mod , in more than one area of BE .
He did not heed the warnings.
He was banned following flame posts to another BE forum . Not the NZ one !

I hope that clears that one up for those of you feeling done down somehow by his re-ban.

Now. This is an open forum. It's an information highway. To work it needs balance. All views are welcome on BE. Just make the points and posts within the BE rules.

Oh ! and understand that people may have completely opposite and differing views from your own. Their migrant experiences may be totally opposite to your own. That doesn't make either of you right or wrong. Just flippin' well different.
Hear hear Bevs here! Um can i ask what may to some be a really really dumb question (whispers) whats a flame post I have all sorts of images running through my fluffy aquarian head.................
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
But thats not true is it,because most poms leave and thats a fact. If they never N.Z. would have a population of more than 4 million wouldnt it. Most poms that arrive stay a few years then leave for either Australia or go back home to the U.K. Whether you like it or not its a fact statistically. So why say people arrive and adapt when they dont?
And your statement is equally untrue, NZ has one of the highest retention rates for British migrants.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sr71
And your statement is equally untrue, NZ has one of the highest retention rates for British migrants.
Really? well they have been going there since the early fifties so were are they all? N.Z. has hardly grown in population. Oh i get it they have retained them but have not given the correct figures out and there is really 20 million in N.Z. dont be so flippant.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:27 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Really? well they have been going there since the early fifties so were are they all? N.Z. has hardly grown in population. Oh i get it they have retained them but have not given the correct figures out and there is really 20 million in N.Z. dont be so flippant.
Oh look what the cat dragged in
do you have a life outside the British Expats forum btw??? just wondered
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by love30stm
Oh look what the cat dragged in
do you have a life outside the British Expats forum btw??? just wondered

Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:33 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha ha love you too really patrick
Old Nov 9th 2008, 12:02 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

NET migration figures - people come, people go. If 10 UK people come here and 10 Kiwis leave then the population figures haven't changed. Do you honestly believe that no English people are happy here long term?
Old Nov 9th 2008, 12:26 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

NZ population in 1950 - circa 2m
NZ population now - circa 4.3m
giving an annual growth rate of approximately 1.3%
Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Do you honestly believe that no English people are happy here long term? [/QUOTE]

Of that Patrick is certain..FACT as he goes. If you like NZ according to to him you are living a lie. I am living a lie. In reality I hate it here.

I hate the fact I am about to have a swim with my kids in my pool. In the Uk how many 'not rich' people like us have our own pools. I will admire the mountain view and the peace and quiet that I have to languish in my neighbourhood that I hate living in.

If only there was a way to escape the utter drudgery that is my life. If only Patrick had come into my life sooner I would not have moved to NZ because I would have heeded his every word and I would still enjoy the drunken violence, yobs, intense crime and grafitti, rubbish et al that went on all around my door step 24 hours a frigging day 365 days a year.

Sorry for the sarcasm but if he reads this the sodding penny may drop that for some of us..INCREDIBLY, unbelievably we find a far better way of life in NZ.

EVEN WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS THE PLACE HAS> Yes P2007 I am not in cloud land I know the reality...BUT life is still VERY VERY GOOD here for some of us. No its not I am lying. Horrible place NZ.

Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Genesis
Do you honestly believe that no English people are happy here long term?
Of that Patrick is certain..FACT as he goes. If you like NZ according to to him you are living a lie. I am living a lie. In reality I hate it here.

I hate the fact I am about to have a swim with my kids in my pool. In the Uk how many 'not rich' people like us have our own pools. I will admire the mountain view and the peace and quiet that I have to languish in my neighbourhood that I hate living in.

If only there was a way to escape the utter drudgery that is my life. If only Patrick had come into my life sooner I would not have moved to NZ because I would have heeded his every word and I would still enjoy the drunken violence, yobs, intense crime and grafitti, rubbish et al that went on all around my door step 24 hours a frigging day 365 days a year.

Sorry for the sarcasm but if he reads this the sodding penny may drop that for some of us..INCREDIBLY, unbelievably we find a far better way of life in NZ.

EVEN WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS THE PLACE HAS> Yes P2007 I am not in cloud land I know the reality...BUT life is still VERY VERY GOOD here for some of us. No its not I am lying. Horrible place NZ.

[/QUOTE]

This post has me in stitches
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Pop of NZ in 70s - just over 3m. Now over 4m. You do the maths

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.