Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you really want to come to NZ?

...and tonight I have had the delights of Whitby.

My God what a crap hole, this place has the noisiest cars of the lot, scum driving up and down in Honda Civic-wanna-be-Formula-1 efforts.

This country has a serious noise and attitude problem.

Despite the fact that it will be very difficult for me and my family, I am taking steps to get out of NZ asap.

An unbelievable hole.

Anybody in UK, you have been warned.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

An unbelievable hole.

Anybody in UK, you have been warned.[/QUOTE]

Browner sorry to hear of your problems..it would drive me mad too and the type of behaviour (though not with cars) is the reason I left the UK!!)

However when you consider that where you live is only a tiny part of NZ people only need to be aware of the issue that prevails there. Boy racers ARE all over NZ but where I live in Palmy....(and we have our fair share) they in no way impact on the quality of our lives. YOU CAN live peacefully amongst them..if you choose where you live carefully..we just happened to have been lucky!!!

If it is just the racers (is it?) have you not considered moving..I would before returning to the UK..unless the latter really appeals to you.

On a tangent our resident NZIS rep P2007 is very quiet innit? Sorry, aye?

Last edited by Genesis; Nov 7th 2008 at 8:22 pm. Reason: Shite slepping
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

We get one or two noisy hoons a week where we live - a bit annoying for 1-2 minutes but not quite worth migrating to avoid.
I guess some of these issues are "the last straw" for generally unhappy people
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Can i just say for the people reading this, that are intending to come out to Wellington to live. Not all areas of Wellington are noisy, when i told somebody where i lived in Welly, they informed me that the area i have to drive through to, to get to my house is called the arsehole of Wellington, this was from a kiwi by the way, who knows this area really well and i respect their judgement, it certainly looks a bit rough in places. BUT once you drive through this area, you will find Cul de sacs with houses that have double glazing, gas heating, excellent views, NO NOISY CARS.

Yes its bloody windy up here but you have to take the good with the bad, there are no major shops, just a few takeaways, a dairy, medical centre, diy shop. There are better shops within a few kms. and a fast commute in to Welly. At the end of the day life is what you make it, do the research before you come out here. As for Whitby, its not my cup of tea, but there are a few expats up there, who have chosen to make it their home and seem very happy.

My advice is save plenty before coming out here, its expensive when you first get here, and if you can afford it, keep enough money back, so that if its not for you, you can go elsewhere or return to the UK.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:31 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Similarly we have very few problems on the Kapiti coast with Hoons - well at least in the rural haven that is Peka Peka.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lardyl
What? There are plenty of nice spots around Liverpool......

That is real balderdash......

Cheshire is just down the road with the most affluent parts of the the north of England, far more up-market than most of NZ......with proper houses, history and in some places, even community spirit.....often more than we have in parts of grab-grab-grab, grasping Auckland, NZ!

North is Formby, or example, home of many footballers from all over, and lots of other people with old and new money. I'd bet that some of the kids there get more pocket money than the NZ median wage..........

So what's all this crap.....

And I'm not even a scouser, just a Yamyam who has seen a bit of the UK......and yes I have experienced some of the worst of Liverpool, including having to investigate a triple murder "Resevoir Dogs"-style (with petrol thrown from a bucket) a couple of streets over from Anfield.......

Really, you guys are as bad as the "generalisers" you have a pop at.......:curse:
At last someone with sense Hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Patrick2007;6951436]At last someone with sense Hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTe

But p2007, he likes it here and is quite content. How can he have sense?? I thought you were of the opinion that anyone who likes it here is sad and stuck and to be frank stupid, desperate to return from whence they came.

You are not very consistent lad.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Genesis;6951524]
Originally Posted by Patrick2007
At last someone with sense Hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTe

But p2007, he likes it here and is quite content. How can he have sense?? I thought you were of the opinion that anyone who likes it here is sad and stuck and to be frank stupid, desperate to return from whence they came.

I know he likes it there,he also liked parts of Liverpool, that riled you didnt it haha. One nil.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:49 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
[.....But p2007, he likes it here and is quite content. How can he have sense?? I thought you were of the opinion that anyone who likes it here is sad and stuck and to be frank stupid, desperate to return from whence they came.

I think he is.......there are plenty of types of people who think NZ is OK in the short term, when their kids are a certain age and when they want to chill a bit, then they will get bored senseless and wonder why anyone else can't "get it".......
Of course they are not everyone but I'd bet that lots of people in the UK would take a few months only to look around and then decide to run back - *that* is all part of the attrction for some of us........wouldn't want too many folks here thanks....
What I was really saying was "get off the back" of Liverpool and other "holes" in the UK as they are not entirely that......especially the Liverpools and Leedes of the world.
Anyway peace to all from a glorious NZ, albeit a bit chilly in the breeze.....
Old Nov 8th 2008, 2:18 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
North is Formby, or example, home of many footballers from all over...
Lardyl, were you trying to paint the place so darkly
Old Nov 8th 2008, 3:22 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

jeez ive spent the best part of an hour reading this jarg,Patrick2007 ill only forgive you if youre a blue,this thread is like marmite.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 4:29 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Lardyl, were you trying to paint the place so darkly

spoilt the neighbourhood of course and tend to get burgled so attract the wrong type of "tourist" ........
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:35 am

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
We get one or two noisy hoons a week where we live - a bit annoying for 1-2 minutes but not quite worth migrating to avoid.
I guess some of these issues are "the last straw" for generally unhappy people
Yeah I think so. I don't think this stuff would bother you if you were happy. Personally, boy-racers were the least of my concerns. I left NZ for other reasons. Like difficulty finding suiable work. Sinking slowly into debt. Missing my son&family and for general career reasons. Erm, trying to think if I miss anything? Just the things I knew I would like running in the welly hills, and DECENT coffee. Everything else I liked about NZ you can get here in England. I don't live in a shitty part of the UK so no problems with scum. One thing I have noticed already is how much more dog-friendly the UK is.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:48 am

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
Warning dont feed the Troll
Mate, you forgot something. Don't mention that NZ has problems. Do you notice how much it seems to upset people? Part of NZ's problems if you ask me. Wait till you live there for a few years. Do not criticise NZ. NZ has the ego of a giant but it's self esteem is in it's boots. It can't handle it.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jokerman
Mate, you forgot something. Don't mention that NZ has problems. Do you notice how much it seems to upset people? Part of NZ's problems if you ask me. Wait till you live there for a few years. Do not criticise NZ. NZ has the ego of a giant but it's self esteem is in it's boots. It can't handle it.

Sorry JM, we are not all as per above. I love NZ but freely admit its rife with problems just live EVERY country on earth Point is just how much all the shite of your choice of country to live in impacts you DIRECTLY (not talking about the fiscal balls up with the finance cos)..over here in NZ I live peacefully in a large town, I have a good standard of living and in every way our lives in NZ are WAY better than in the UK....inspite of all the issues that prevail. So its all about how we deal with the crap in our bucket. In the UK we were covered in it..in NZ we manage to avoid it. Apart from the crap driving skills that abound.

Strokes, folks and choices. NZ is not all bad and some of us DO prosper here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.