Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:54 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you really want to come to NZ?

Originally Posted by Lookin2Oz
I have no doubt that you are aware that it is rude to strike up a conversation and then not respond when you are spoken to ?
Oh come on - its an internet forum. There are dozens of threads going on at one time, and I'm probably not alone at fading in and fading out of different topics on a whim. But seem as how you are demanding a reply, I will do so - Just for for you Sir.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:13 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

So I take it you are a Kiwi then ?
Yes?

Tell me - what was your first job in London ? are we talking doing your OE or were you there with a family & children going to stay permanently in the UK ?
First job was with an American Bank working in the back office. At that time I was single, not sure I really had too much idea how long I would be in the UK.

If we are talking your back-packing days in London I am afraid there is an immense difference from getting a job behind a bar or working in Tesco compared to what I would imagine the majority of potential immigrants looking on this forum would be some form of skilled workers that NZ has a shortage of and looking to re-locate their whole life over to New Zealand – including their money !!!!!!!!!
Agreed. However my experience that I related was in my chosen career, and I think it is relevant for immigrants.

From what I understand Kiwis get a two year work permit for the UK and most of them fly straight into London, get a backpackers deal and go the Aussie bars in Earls Court. After making some serious currency in London fly off to Greece for the season and end up later that year chilling in Bali living on peanuts and smoking dope for four months and then head back to London to top-up their pounds in their bank. I don’t think the big OE in many cases the same as re-loacting to New Zealand.
You seem to have mistaken me for some stereotyped kiwi backpacker. Like many other kiwi professionals I fully integrated into UK life for a much longer period than 2 years - in my case it was for 10 years.

So you saying you did an OE thing as a Kiwi in London and worked in London is VERY vague.
I really hope I've clarified this for you now.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:29 am
Here in Dunedin

Where did you explain this ? I have asked you what profession or skilled trade you were experienced in while in London or were you the usual backpacker barman, dishwasher, cleaner , Burger King staff ?
Actually you didn't ask this - but I'll answer anyway, it seems important to you. I am a qualified accountant who worked for a large number of years in the Banking Industry in London.

I am also intrigued by your high activity as a Kiwi on a British ex-pats forum ?
I first posted on this forum in 2003 when I was thinking of immigrating to NZ with my young british family. 95% of the issues and opportunities that we faced are the same as for any other British immigrant family. I feel I have as much stuff to contribute to this forum as the next person.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:35 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Southerner,

And most of all he is a fellow Dunedinite and lives on the best island.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=southerner;6910612 For example, the number of foreign CEOs of NZ companies/organisations seems quite high in my opinion (if that can be used as one proxy for talented people getting on in their careers).[/QUOTE]

Some of them are appointed by Head Offices located outside NZ!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:02 am
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by southerner
Yes?

First job was with an American Bank working in the back office. At that time I was single, not sure I really had too much idea how long I would be in the UK.

Agreed. However my experience that I related was in my chosen career, and I think it is relevant for immigrants.

You seem to have mistaken me for some stereotyped kiwi backpacker. Like many other kiwi professionals I fully integrated into UK life for a much longer period than 2 years - in my case it was for 10 years.

I really hope I've clarified this for you now.

Actually you didn't ask this - but I'll answer anyway, it seems important to you. I am a qualified accountant who worked for a large number of years in the Banking Industry in London.

Quote:
So I take it you are a Kiwi then ?
Yes?

I first posted on this forum in 2003 when I was thinking of immigrating to NZ with my young british family. 95% of the issues and opportunities that we faced are the same as for any other British immigrant family. I feel I have as much stuff to contribute to this forum as the next person.
Thanks for your replies

Ahh – a banker. Mortgages perhaps or investment

From what I understand you were not a Brit immigrating to NZ but rather a Kiwi returning to NZ. So really for you - returning to your roots ?

Personally I don’t think it was quite the same for you in that you were a returning Kiwi - compared to a Brit family ( for example) that have never been to New Zealand and perhaps all they know about NZ is what the they got at the Earls Court New Zealand expos, which , let’s face it, is really the glossy magazine version

I mean, you have never faced the lack of Kiwi experience thing have you

Cheers

Last edited by Lookin2Oz; Oct 28th 2008 at 4:08 am.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:09 am
Here in Dunedin

...So really for you - returning to your roots ?

Cheers
Yes - returning to my roots. Hasn't always been easy either, but on balance its right for us.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:14 am
Here in Dunedin

I mean, you have never faced the lack of Kiwi experience thing have you

Cheers
No - but kind of had the same thing for about 6 weeks in London. But in returning to NZ have faced a number of issues that immigrants to NZ will face such as the different size of organisation, lack of depth to job market, needing to identify contacts, etc.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:59 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Some of them are appointed by Head Offices located outside NZ!
yeah, I was going to say parachuted in....but that's a bit perjorative.....
also they are often brought here on the "lifestyle" ticket as well (seem farmiliar?) as NZ plc sells itself pretty hard to the "high" and the "low".....as witnessed by the number of "bolt holes" belonging to the rich of the USA and Asia.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Look, there are some of us who have moved country several times (me, three times) and may have UK, NZ or both citizenships. I don't see why this should make our opinions any less valid, or our experiences less relevant.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Look, there are some of us who have moved country several times (me, three times) and may have UK, NZ or both citizenships. I don't see why this should make our opinions any less valid, or our experiences less relevant.

Careful kiwi or you may be accused of bragging
Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:14 am
Banned

IPOTRADER is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems to me and I bet Im not alone here that there is one or two longtime members here with bit of a chip on their shoulders.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:16 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IPOTRADER
Seems to me and I bet Im not alone here that there is one or two longtime members here with bit of a chip on their shoulders.
It's a "chup" here in NZ!!!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by IPOTRADER
No.

Now how is the trade in Po's ?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:50 am
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

No - but kind of had the same thing for about 6 weeks in London. But in returning to NZ have faced a number of issues that immigrants to NZ will face such as the different size of organisation, lack of depth to job market, needing to identify contacts, etc.

The term “kind of” is very loose

As in

Is it “kind of ” important that potential immigrants considering New Zealand know what they are “kind of” in for - right ?

There is not such a thing as Brit or London experience in the same context as KIWI EXPERIENCE You may have realised that dumbing yourself down in London doesn’t work and over there you are required to get up-to-speed. But NOWHERE were you told that you didn’t have London experience in the same context as highly skilled & qualified people here are told they are NOT EMPLOYABLE due to LACK OF KIWI EXPERIENCE – am I right?

That is what I call “kind of ” misleading and that I find “kind of” unfair to people that may be considering moving their whole life & family over to New Zealand

I am also interested to hear what issues you believe you faced that people immigrating to New Zealand for the very first time will experience.

Didn’t you have family here in new Zealand to return to ?

As far as my experiences with the banking fraternity ( done a lot of business in that area) the term “kind of” doesn’t fit it is either – yes or no - so I must say it concerns me the way you chose your terminology.

If I had to send you a proposal or contact with “maybe” and “kind of” you would certainly ( I hope) consider my business as non committal and lacking professionalism – yes ?

In the same context – I would expect that folk taking on a MAJOR decision to move to New Zealand would be offered more - yes or no info.

Being in the financial area I am sure that you understand that every 2.5 immigrants coming into New Zealand creates one job for a Kiwi ? That’s a pretty good financial aspect would you say – yes , no or kind of ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.