Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you really want to come to NZ?

Originally Posted by sr71
Clarkson actually loves NZ, its the one country he has said he could live in apart from the UK. He is not keen at all on Australia.
He may love the country , but has he slept in a wooden walled motel in the centre of town?
Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
He may love the country , but has he slept in a wooden walled motel in the centre of town?
No, I'd say he is a bit classier than that.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Trinny & Co would have a heart attack if they came to NZ, as would Jeremy Clarkson, which is more to the point of this thread.

I doubt even petrol-knob-head Clarkson would think much to the idiot car culture in NZ.
They've already been......so has Clarkson....he loves it here, but he would being a petrol head and all....
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lardyl
So come on are you in the UK (as you claim in one thread) or in NZ??? If in the UK are you using webcams to check on which NZers are wearting the dreaded combinations?

As far as the socks and sandals goes, over here next to "Darby and Joan-by-the-Sea" (ie Orewa), there are plenty of people who will call themselves "Kiwis" wearing these along with the headgear I mentioned.....
Have you and our forty-something style princess never seen those hats or is that a style "issue" of NZ that you (and the other NZ fashion victims here) would like to ignore????

By the way those two sloane rangers come style-gurus, Trinnie and the other tart, are totally rah-to$$er$.......says captain "super Oik"
they have made a lot of lolly out of something you deem to be frivolous, that fair enough, there are all sorts of things that we may think are a waste of time and/or silly, no one has to buy into it but plenty do....what do you spend your leisure time on??

Last edited by janek; Oct 24th 2008 at 6:14 am.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Trinny and Tranny have at least one thing going for them imo - they advocate for dressing well rather than losing weight.

Ok, I don't quite agree with them all the time, and I certainly don't think that the world needs each and every victim to look like either Trinny or Susannah (normally Susannah) but at least they advocate for going with what you have rather than what you could have.

Of course, they then turn around and say disparaging remarks about 'cheap' stores that are still out of the budget of many people. Still, the not advocating for losing weight makes them have a redeeming feature imho.
Very good point about the dressing/weight issue, I am not a fan of them either, I have seen one or two of their shows on telly, but I don't buy into it.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 10:33 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I have, admittedly threatened to sign my mother and I up for their show if they ever return to New Zealand.

I figure that I could spend a few dollars getting us some clothes from perhaps some cheap store, buy them a size too small, preferably in fluro lycra and then wrangle my way into a $2,000 new wardrobe!

Heck, I would even wear sandals and socks if that's what it would take.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Trinny & Co would have a heart attack if they came to NZ, as would Jeremy Clarkson, which is more to the point of this thread.

I doubt even petrol-knob-head Clarkson would think much to the idiot car culture in NZ.
Even Michael Barrymore never stayed in N.Z. mind you Adam Rickitt Nicky Tilsley (Corro St.) is there for now. As if Clarkson would swap the U.K. for N.Z. very unlikely i would say. Once the dust died down even Barrymore was out of there like a shot says it all.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:28 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
No one is ignoring anything (you are extremely paranoid and seem to have a chip on your shoulder), and I was talking about socks and sandals, not hats.

There aren't many people in NZ that would admire socks and sandals contrary to what you want to believe. You can try and make it seem otherwise but the fact is Brits are known the world over for this habit. Anyone wearing them in NZ is generally an expat or retains vestigial remnants of the British Empires fashion sense. There is also the case of younger people wearing white socks and various open shoes but this seems to be some sort of 'gangsta' fashion imported from the US.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...icle679563.ece
Chip? Hot Chips or Chippies?

Paranoid/chip on the shoulder......haha, the people on here who know me personally, in the flesh that is and not just online (and there are a few long-time members who do you know!) would just laugh at you.......if they could find you......!!

Maybe we are at cross purposes, I never meant to say that socks under sandals were invented in NZ, just that there are quite few people doing that here, on the ground in NZ.

Odd isn't it - you seem to be able to assess that whilst being in the UK (according to your other posts) and having been there for 8 years (??) then seem to ignore the questions about how you know what people are wearing now in NZ......

Not wishing to give you a history lesson but almost all of the European inhabiltants of NZ are "vestiges" of the "British Empire" so suggesting that is the reason they wear socks under their sandals simple reinforces the point that it is a NZ thing as NZ is in its way a remnant of the Empire and in many ways a lot more Imperial than the UK, which has caught up the modern world......

What you are ignoring is the point about "silly hats" and answering where your supposedly intimate knowledge of NZ as it is now, that you claim to have, comes from ..... or is this all "hearsay".....??

To me this is classic "deflection" and I know about that having given evidence "for/against" some of the world's best QCs.......I'm not paranoid, just cynical, suspicious and in search of some truth.......
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
Even Michael Barrymore never stayed in N.Z. mind you Adam Rickitt Nicky Tilsley (Corro St.) is there for now. As if Clarkson would swap the U.K. for N.Z. very unlikely i would say. Once the dust died down even Barrymore was out of there like a shot says it all.
Yes he would love the 100 kph speed limits
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:07 pm
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lardyl
Chip? Hot Chips or Chippies?

Paranoid/chip on the shoulder......haha, the people on here who know me personally, in the flesh that is and not just online (and there are a few long-time members who do you know!) would just laugh at you.......if they could find you......!!

Maybe we are at cross purposes, I never meant to say that socks under sandals were invented in NZ, just that there are quite few people doing that here, on the ground in NZ.

Odd isn't it - you seem to be able to assess that whilst being in the UK (according to your other posts) and having been there for 8 years (??) then seem to ignore the questions about how you know what people are wearing now in NZ......

Not wishing to give you a history lesson but almost all of the European inhabiltants of NZ are "vestiges" of the "British Empire" so suggesting that is the reason they wear socks under their sandals simple reinforces the point that it is a NZ thing as NZ is in its way a remnant of the Empire and in many ways a lot more Imperial than the UK, which has caught up the modern world......

What you are ignoring is the point about "silly hats" and answering where your supposedly intimate knowledge of NZ as it is now, that you claim to have, comes from ..... or is this all "hearsay".....??

To me this is classic "deflection" and I know about that having given evidence "for/against" some of the world's best QCs.......I'm not paranoid, just cynical, suspicious and in search of some truth.......
The history of NZ is not “pure” colonialism, yes there was a big drive by the New Zealand Company to attract Brits over here and when that first started out NZ painted pretty pictures of beaches & lifestyle – even then - and still do

I’m sure that you know the history of NZ when cannibalism featured on the food-chain and why there are so many “Goat Islands”. Kiwis are a mix of breeding and we all know that is a very sensitive subject and certainly does not create a “more imperial” situation. In fact – quite the opposite.

The Kiwi has tried to form their own identity and in many ways isolated themselves and in their make-up is large Australian influence and of course we all know that history - and again - very sensitive

If New Zealand was so imperial in its history the Kiwi’s wouldn’t be so sensitive about it all

The question I ask is: What is the future ? In my opinion – not an imperial influence, Polynesian I would say.

The Kiwi attitude of shutting out non-Kiwis and that is so evident from the moment an immigrant lands here and it told – lack of Kiwi experience is against them signifies that the Kiwis have done a very good job of isolating themselves. This of course is subject to change when you wave $ in their face and is why you have SO MANY Asian investments here.

My gaze into the future would be that NZ becomes part of Australia or just another Pacific Island ( JAPI)

The one thing that is certain is that NZ has NOT caught up with the modern world, all the technology is here but the attitude is still stuck in the 70s
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:28 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Point taken, yes NZ is less of little England/Ireland/Scotland than Oz but there are plenty of Brits (nth generation) here who will call themsleves NZers/Kiwis and there are many aspects of NZ life that are vestiges of Biritsh influence on the land.
Have to agree on the "closed shop" and the fact that NZers (particularly those with no recent ex-pat roots) are incredibly defensive when it comes to new ideas, practices and people - now to me that is a a cultural "chip on the shoulder", or is it just a defence mechanism?
Lookin2Oz will probably enlighten me......
Old Oct 24th 2008, 10:12 pm
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

[QUOTE=lardyl;6907331]Point taken, yes NZ is less of little England/Ireland/Scotland than Oz but there are plenty of Brits (nth generation) here who will call themsleves NZers/Kiwis and there are many aspects of NZ life that are vestiges of Biritsh influence on the land.
Have to agree on the "closed shop" and the fact that NZers (particularly those with no recent ex-pat roots) are incredibly defensive when it comes to new ideas, practices and people - now to me that is a a cultural "chip on the shoulder", or is it just a defence mechanism?
Lookin2Oz will probably enlighten me......[/QUOTE]

Hey, not attempting to be the Yoda of NZ history or the Buddha of enlightenment

Ultimately if you take ALL the history or whatever out of the equation what matters to me is – how this all affects me and my family.

We came to NZ to achieve ( used that word purposely) certain things in life and when the situation seems to be stacked against you achieving rather than - for you achieving our decision is to evaluate that - not only for our future but for our children.

I.e. regardless of what education they have is the attitude conducive to children growing up wanting to be successful and their mates onboard with that concept.

In our experience of NZ the answer to that is simply – NO

Your ( and others) experience may be different but a lot of people we have discussed the topic with feel the same as us.

Don’t have any gripes with you but as a public forum these things work if everybody has the opportunity to post their views, even if that means they are not happy with New Zealand.

Have a nice long weekend
Old Oct 24th 2008, 10:17 pm

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lookin2Oz

The one thing that is certain is that NZ has NOT caught up with the modern world, all the technology is here but the attitude is still stuck in the 70s
I heard the other day a labour MP -on the campaign trail- had a go at his opponents who had dared to suggest that he liked women who wore shirt skirts God forbid a bloke can say he like sexy women now. NZ is far too PC in my eyes.

Another example, I was at college studying the "treaty of waitangi" with my Maori lecturer. (On a journalism course can someone explain what the treaty has to do with being a journalist?)

I asked her "So, did Hobson sign the treaty?". I thought that was a reasonable question, after all I am there to learn.

She just glared at me, and didn't answer me. So, I still don't know.

Talking about the "treaty" with some Maori is a very VERY touchy subject. It's too raw to have any decent debate, actually. You have to be very careful what you say. Whatever you do don't mention shrunken-heads, canabilism, or that before the white man arrived Maori were a primitive stone-age culture.

I was reading a book recently about the treaty which said that Maori had a very sophisticated stone-age culture...yeah, right. Revisionist history!

Before the white man arrived Maori were still killing each other. That is not a racist statement - it's a fact. Once they got hold of muskets it all went off! Now they blame the white man for all the dodgy deals they did! Also, did we actually put the gun-powder in the muskets and pull the triggers, too?

So, I am a bit wary of all this "Pakeha are the cause of ALL our problems".

Last edited by Jokerman; Oct 24th 2008 at 10:28 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 10:39 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Lookin2Oz
...Hey, not attempting to be the Yoda of NZ history or the Buddha of enlightenment
....Don’t have any gripes with you but as a public forum these things work if everybody has the opportunity to post their views, even if that means they are not happy with New Zealand.
Have a nice long weekend
Good post and you are saying exactly what many of us, who are perhaps more emotionally detatched from "NZ as home/OH's home/right decision, etc", have tried to say but have been tarred with the brush as "vitriolic" "anti-NZ" and "generalisers" - of course we will continue to try and to overcome this defensiveness.....but we are sailing into the breeze in some parts.....just as we would be in the real world, down here in not so sunny NZ
Old Oct 24th 2008, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

The Maoris must be the most pampered, indigenous people in the world, if NZ was colonised by the French, Nouvelle Zelande would still be a colony to this day, like New Caledonia and Tahiti, The South Island would have been reserved for testing of French nuclear weapons. Instead, in PC NZ, vast subsidies of NZ tax payers' money are being spent on keeping the Maoris peaceful. When the Maoris "colonised" islands, it was an "ethnic cleansing" of all local men, women and children with their stone clubs (bow and arrows were a distant invention). There were no fancy treaties giving problems 100 years later, for them, as they swept across the Pacific slaughtering all the existing local tribes.

No, the future of NZ seems to be chinese at the moment particularly in Auckland, Personally i believe that China has an eye on taking over NZ, it would only take the emigration of the population of 1 medium size Chinese town for them to take control of NZ, imagine what a great beacon of democracy and ecology that would be in the Pacific ! They are already trying to "influence" Pacific Islands and African countries too. Helen Clarke has recently signed an economic pact with China allowing thousands of Chinese to work here.

But also i think that the current economic crisis will weaken China too. The great lowering of commodity prices will also make Oz much less attractive for Kiwi want-aways too, NZ as a great food exporter and with much water reserves may once again take the spotlight like it did in the 50s when it was one of the richest countries in the world (thanks to Britain's economic favouritism for it's colonies).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.