Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Do you really want to come to NZ?

Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you really want to come to NZ?

Now I know I will be criticized for being negative, but this post has been a while in the making and needs to be said.

After 5 years in Wellington I think I have reached breaking point and am going to have to return to UK.

I have quite a few issues with Wellington and NZ in general but I cant even be bothered to address those here.

But the major problem troubling me is that, well, its a noisy crap-hole isnt it, infested by boy racer/hoon scum with no concern for anyone else.

After another day of being buzzed by plenty of cars which are modified to be ludicrously noisy, and also Harley type bikes that would wake the dead, I have to say that there is really nothing nice about living here.

Combine this with balsa wood houses which provide no sound insulation at all and, well, it would be quieter on the Heathrow flight path (I know, I lived in Hounslow once!)

It really is horrible, and it makes me laff when you hear all this clean green NZ spouted.

Only about 2% of NZers would know how to spell green, let alone contribute to it. They think that as long as 95% of the country is empty, then they can do what they like.

The car culture in NZ is terrible, why they let people get away with making their cars so offensive and annoying to everyone else I shall never now. And then they let 15 year olds drive them.

And I live in a cul-de-sac for Pete's sake, in what is supposed to be one of the most affluent suburbs in NZ.

My advice if anyone thinks they are coming to quiet NZ, is to go and sit in a wooden shed 20 meters from the M1, and see if they like it.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:24 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you really want to come to NZ?

Originally Posted by Browner_
Now I know I will be criticized for being negative, but this post has been a while in the making and needs to be said.

After 5 years in Wellington I think I have reached breaking point and am going to have to return to UK.

I have quite a few issues with Wellington and NZ in general but I cant even be bothered to address those here.

But the major problem troubling me is that, well, its a noisy crap-hole isnt it, infested by boy racer/hoon scum with no concern for anyone else.

After another day of being buzzed by plenty of cars which are modified to be ludicrously noisy, and also Harley type bikes that would wake the dead, I have to say that there is really nothing nice about living here.

Combine this with balsa wood houses which provide no sound insulation at all and, well, it would be quieter on the Heathrow flight path (I know, I lived in Hounslow once!)

It really is horrible, and it makes me laff when you hear all this clean green NZ spouted.

Only about 2% of NZers would know how to spell green, let alone contribute to it. They think that as long as 95% of the country is empty, then they can do what they like.

The car culture in NZ is terrible, why they let people get away with making their cars so offensive and annoying to everyone else I shall never now. And then they let 15 year olds drive them.

And I live in a cul-de-sac for Pete's sake, in what is supposed to be one of the most affluent suburbs in NZ.

My advice if anyone thinks they are coming to quiet NZ, is to go and sit in a wooden shed 20 meters from the M1, and see if they like it.
Forgive me Browner, my memory is shocking - where in NZ do you live?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

All very true BUT you can live in NZ and have peace and quiet. I live away from the main city about 2-3 ks and live in a VERY quiet neighbourhood. I could not wish to live anywhere more peaceful. Wellington is NZ's capital..its bound to be a bit more decibelic aye? Palmerston North is a rural type of town small pop. of C75k. There are boy racers but we never hear them.

Houses here are in now way what we are used to from the UK..my house could be broken into going thru' the walls if you had a large hammer!! But we take our choices aye? All NZ's cons (and they are many!!) are far outweighed by the pros..of which there are forunately for us many, many more!!

There is no point in staying if you are not happy. I would not.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:52 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Forgive me Browner, my memory is shocking - where in NZ do you live?
Sorry, I know you live in Welly, just wondered where?

It disheartens me to read posts like yours - as where we live it really isn't that big a problem. I'm not discrediting your experiences, but blimey, if that was me I think I'd want out too.

But I guess like any country, it really boils down to your neighbourhood - as opposed to the entire country per se?

My 16 year old daughter drives her own car and had some mates come and fit a silly filter to it - it doesn't go "whoosh" when she changes gear - sounds more like a ride on mower - but that's kids for you ... In our cul-de-sac we have a husband and wife copper team living almost opposite - can't wait for them to pull her over and scare the BeJesus out of her so that she knows she has to drive sensibly like we tell her!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

There are boy racers in central Wellington suburbs but they are not that numerous...what would you describe as Welly's most affluent suburb then....Oriental Bay/Mount Victoria?.....if Mount Victoria then I know what you mean, it is grottier than it should be for its high house prices and brothel ...particularly near the Basin Reserve...about the only bit of Wellington I find polluted.

I live pretty centrally but don't find it noisy at all in general..(you hear the occasional boy racer from time to time) but apart from aircraft and those are infrequent and I tune them out I think...in favour of tui bird sounds.

You are very unlucky to have these problems on a cul de sac...it must mean the neighbours are not the most desirable sort???
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Kiwis will never change Browner fact. Look at the driving laws how anyone and there are still plenty on here can defend it is still beyond me. A 15yr child behind a wheel....recipe for death. I thought you would have been in with a chance living in an affluent suburb but sadly we are talking about a backward country who only interests are the All Blacks. N.Z. never gets a mention here in the U.K. the place will never grow its tryed for 40 years. How long we gonna keep calling it a new country? Good for a holiday,living and dare i say surviving on poor wages blah,blah, forget it. Hope you make your mind up mate best of luck.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Browner, have you thought about giving Oz a try instead of returning to the UK? Also, have your tried Auckland, especially the North Shore? We were on the verge of moving away, having lived in several places in NZ but never in Auckland, but after discovering the North Shore we decided to move there.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

I lived in Auckland. Very overpriced for their gib board palaces. Plenty of low paid work for even dearer standard of living i thought. After the bills etc there was never any money over ever Thats were i struggle at "living the dream". As for people over here promoting poor souls in their Expos to lure (lie) victims over there they need shooting in my opinion. They should be taken by the Trades Description Act for selling a lie. You know within months you have backed a loser too late then though plus a big hole in your arse pocket thanks.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Mixter is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive never been to NZ, but to want to leave the actual country just because your neighbourhood is less than idylic sounds crazy to me! I was going to suggest that its a case of the 'grass sounding greener on the other side', but as you are a Brit. will know what its like here as well - or do you? Many places have changed quite a bit in the past 5-10 years in the UK, and certainly not for the better!
I dont think i could hack the sort of place youre describing, but i think id be looking at another town, as opposed to a whole new country - particularly returning the the UK, where things have risen in price a tad! Which im sure would shock a lot of ex-pats trying to return!
As i say, ive never been to to NZ, but i find it more than a bit ironic to read a resident of Liverpool giving the place a slagging! I see Liverpool as the hub-cap swiping, shell-suit wearing capital of the world - but im sure this is a blinkered view, with some parts being very respectable - just like NZ!
We are coming over for a month come the spring, where hopefully folk like me can form their own opinion of how good/bad the place is.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mixter
Ive never been to NZ, but to want to leave the actual country just because your neighbourhood is less than idylic sounds crazy to me! I was going to suggest that its a case of the 'grass sounding greener on the other side', but as you are a Brit. will know what its like here as well - or do you? Many places have changed quite a bit in the past 5-10 years in the UK, and certainly not for the better!
I dont think i could hack the sort of place youre describing, but i think id be looking at another town, as opposed to a whole new country - particularly returning the the UK, where things have risen in price a tad! Which im sure would shock a lot of ex-pats trying to return!
As i say, ive never been to to NZ, but i find it more than a bit ironic to read a resident of Liverpool giving the place a slagging! I see Liverpool as the hub-cap swiping, shell-suit wearing capital of the world - but im sure this is a blinkered view, with some parts being very respectable - just like NZ!
We are coming over for a month come the spring, where hopefully folk like me can form their own opinion of how good/bad the place is.
Am i supposed to bite? One word..... troll nice try.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Mixter is an unknown quantity at this point

You already did, but that wasnt the object of the exercise. I was trying to point out how folk can have 'views' on particular places - which can often be misguided without indepth knowledge. My own example was glib - but a valid one none the less. Quiting a country because you dont like your neighbourhood doesnt make sense to me, as does agreeing with the notion.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

You already did, but that wasnt the object of the exercise. I was trying to point out how folk can have 'views' on particular places - which can often be misguided without indepth knowledge. My own example was glib - but a valid one none the less. Quiting a country because you dont like your neighbourhood doesnt make sense to me, as does agreeing with the notion.
Please explain how your point was possibly valid? What you know about Liverpool wouldnt fill a postage stamp,boy your gonna fit in well over in N.Z. Ibet after your "month" you emigrate there,definate future expat material for sure
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

We live in 'Respectable' Cheltenham, come here on a Sunday night and its like one big race track. I am 35, but can still remember driving like a maniac at 17/18, its just want happens when youre young and stupid! Just like having too many shandys and not being able to get up or have no clue as to how you got home!

And Respectable Cheltenham turns into a binge drink capital most nights, much rather my sons were out driving their cars than drinking themselves stupid!

Cheers Jads
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Do you really want to come to NZ?

Hi there regarding the boy racer culture i think you are right NZ really does need to get a grip on the situation.

Kids really are not mature enough to be behind the wheel of a vehicle in fact you may as well give them a loaded gun...Because a lethal weapon is what they are sitting in and to be honest once these kids are out of the sight of their parents they become total nutters. Unfortunately it is all to easy to be sorry after the event when someone is injured or killed.

I read on www.stuff.co.nz this morning that Christchurch is putting evening safety officers on the streets in pairs to make the residents of Christchurch feel safer at night in town. I went out for a takeaway in Nelson a few weeks ago and i deffinately didnt feel safe and in fact my partners son whos 20 said to me the other night dont go into town tonight the masked parade is on and town will be full of drunken 16yr olds later and he was right i did end up going out to collect a takeaway and there were young ones everywhere and broken glass all over the road and that as in the centre of town!

I have lived in NZ for 32 yrs and have also returned to the UK each year and there of course are the thug types in the UK and the Chavs but each time i have never heard the boy racers in the UK, is this because by the time they can get their licence they are more mature? and that the licence is harder to get.

I believe that NZ is not as clean and green as its portrayed to be any more but thats just my opinion after living here all these years in saying that though my boys who both have children of their own still believe NZ is a great place to bring up their children but funnily enough both want to move from town where they currently are and bring them up in the country (one is in Napier and one in Nelson)

I think world wide though that the teen culture has got out of control and what it will be like in 10yrs time is anyones guess the kids are easily bored nowadays and this is when the trouble starts its very easy to get a group together quickly via text messaging but one thing that really baffles me is how don these 15yr olds manage to buy a car in the first place and even more interesting how on earth do they afford the petrol and the amount of new tyres they must need from their burn outs someone is obviously funding them......

They have absolutely no respect for themselves or anyone else but that maybe is a lack of maturity showing through I have seen these little angels at home and also seen them later hooning around when mum and dad think they are just driving around sedately one of my friends daughters had 1.500 worth of speeding fines within weeks of getting her licence and was in fact stopped twice in one day she ended up losing her licence but still drove her car as every time the collection officer came round to get the licence she was out! This went on for months and mummy and daddy ended up paying the fines...

As for housing i feel that maybe coming from a bricks and mortar / centrally heated country in the UK is why people are shocked by NZs timber constructed houses which have always been perfectly acceptable to kiwis because it was all we knew and we didnt really feel like having a ton of bricks landing on our heads in the event of an earthquake. Timber moves and breathes and is not quite so havy if it does fall on your head. What we need to remember is that these houses have a lifespan of 50 or so years and so by the time people are buying them they are possibly already that old and need renovations done to come up to speed with what we expect nowadays.

It is possible though to build in brick but interestingly enough my son whos a builder and lived and worked in the UK for 6yrs said the same about the UK he had never seen such shoddy building work my partner is a plumber NZ and said the same of the UK so horses for courses i'd say.

At the end of the day we all have to decide what we personally can and cannot accept and act accordingly. I feel we all want different things from life at different stages of our lives and if we can afford the changes and wish for them to be in a different country then thats great.

From what i hear though (and i have only been told this) NZ and Aus are portrayed in a very different light on the TV adds promoting both countries. Its not like having a holiday at the beach every day (unless of course you just won a share in the 30million lottery) its real life and real life can be shitty sometimes and if we are able to change it for the better then why not.
I think Browner you have been here long enough to know its not your paradise.

I wish to leave for very different reasons and thats because my marriage ended some yrs ago and i just dont feel like i belong here anymore when i was busy on the farm working from daylight to dawn in the middle of nowhere i just got on with it (i did always have a yearning for home though) We lived in a draughty old house on the farm for 12yrs because we couldnt afford to change it and each time it rained (we used to get 27feet rain a year on the west coast so it rained often) out came the buckets to catch the drips from the leaking roof. That house should really have been condemed but at the time we were Pioneers and we were trying to give our kids a better life.

Well as usual i seem to have rambled on for ages here when are you planning in returning to the UK Browner? will you be having xmas on the beach here or a proper xmas back in the UK i sooooooooooooooo miss proper xmases and in ll the time ive been here have never had xmas on the beach lol.

Let us know how you are getting on when you return we are a nosey bunch lol.
All the best
Cally

Last edited by cally49; Oct 19th 2008 at 7:04 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Don't forget European Capital of Culture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.