British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Do you like the New Zealand accent? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/do-you-like-new-zealand-accent-418021/)

Maz Jan 10th 2007 8:07 pm

Do you like the New Zealand accent?

Well? :D

kwprwn Jan 10th 2007 8:10 pm

Re: Do you like the New Zealand accent?

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4268191)

thats why I married a kiwi and not a yorkshire man:D

not that I ever had the opportunity to marry a yorkshire man

Jude J Jan 10th 2007 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4268191)

Not all the time! But I'm getting used to it. Prefer it to Oz, particularly Sydney.
Do you?

Jude J Jan 10th 2007 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by kwprwn (Post 4268201)
thats why I married a kiwi and not a yorkshire man:D

yeah I'd rather kiwi than Yorkshire any day. Sorry. Spent an evening in Rotheram and my god...

Maz Jan 10th 2007 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jude J (Post 4268202)
Not all the time! But I'm getting used to it. Prefer it to Oz, particularly Sydney.
Do you?

Yes I find the Aussie accent too brash. Maybe not exactly the word I'm looking for, but I find the Kiwi accent softer and more palatable than the Aussie one.

And yes I do like the Kiwi accent. I've spent enough time on the phone recently where it takes me a few minutes to get my "sarf-east" accent back again. :D I had to struggle when I'd been in the US a few years, to not pick up the accent. Not a fan of it (shhh don't tell hubby! ;) ). I've already warned him that as i appear to be quite susceptible to picking it up - more like, I allow myself to pick it up - I'll problably return from NZ with an accent. :D If we do end up moving there I'll have no problem letting my BBC English accent go. :)

Nerine Jan 10th 2007 8:16 pm

Bits of it are ok :) but the Wellington accent can be a bit hard going

Can't abide some of the mispronunciations though and they still make me cringe, eg. the plural of woman: "woman"

Maz Jan 10th 2007 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 4268232)

Can't abide some of the mispronunciation's though and they still make me cringe, eg. the plural of woman: "woman"

Ooh regional differences! :) Anyone care to expand more on those?

Rascal Jan 10th 2007 8:18 pm

I love the Maori kiwi accent.:D
They sorta sing as they talk.

They are so big (thats just the women):D but when they open their mouth, out come this very soft and gentle accent which I love.:D
Mind you, have always found the 'genuine' Maori here to be nice people.:)

Jude J Jan 10th 2007 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 4268232)

Can't abide some of the mispronunciations though and they still make me cringe, eg. the plural of woman: "woman"

I know!!! For a while there I thought it was me that had it wrong all those years!
Love the fish by the way :)

UKNZAUS Jan 10th 2007 8:24 pm

I like it :D I do have to stop and work out what they're saying every so often though lol

I hope I do pick a bit up ... my kids will being only 1 & 2 yrs old, eldest will probably pick it up no doubt!

If I don't though, I'm not going to cry about it :D

Michelle xx

Jude J Jan 10th 2007 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 4268273)
I like it :D I do have to stop and work out what they're saying every so often though lol

I hope I do pick a bit up ... my kids will being only 1 & 2 yrs old, eldest will probably pick it up no doubt!

If I don't though, I'm not going to cry about it :D

Michelle xx

You probably will without even knowing it. A few weeks ago, an english person was talking to me about his flight over, and he asked me if I'd ever been to England :eek: When I told him I was English he said I sounded like a local. But then, I am from Essex and when I moved away at 19 and lived in the midlands I was asked by loads of people what part of Australia I was from :D

Nerine Jan 10th 2007 8:34 pm

The Welly accent is "thicker", you get more of the "U" instead of "I" there, as in fush and chups.

One thing I've noticed more of is people talking with a "Bro" accent, can't really define what I mean but have you heard people say "Oh stink!" and go up at the end of the phrase? kids do it really well :) and I'm sure it's cultivated, helps to be low-riding when you say it to really get into character :D

Then there's the posh TV announcer type very precise and clipped.

Quite a few regional variations but many kiwis say there aren't.

Mr Caton Jan 10th 2007 8:48 pm

I'd be more concerned if the kiwi's didn't like my accent!!!! Have also had Brits thinking i am a native, having been brought up in a holiday town that has no real "accent identity" i seem to pick up new ones easily!! Sober, posh scouser apparently, drunk, Mancunian & Brummie when i have a cold!!!!

Nerine Jan 10th 2007 8:53 pm

Gosh!! a native what?

Mr Caton Jan 10th 2007 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 4268421)
Gosh!! a native what?

sorry, dont get you? Have i been mistaken for a Kowhai by a Brit? not yet:D