Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you feel valued in your nz job ?

Do you feel valued in your nz job ?

Old Nov 2nd 2014, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you feel valued in your nz job ?

I do now, in my new company

I think that's mainly because we're in a changing process and they've really taken on my ideas to improve the systems we currently use. Instead of being completely ignored and not entitled to an opinion, whilst on a pants wage - i'm now on a decent wage and are having my opinions and ideas listened to

The management team are all Kiwi but I've not experienced any racial behavior nor any kiwi favouritism like I did at the previous role. I am also honored with the trust they've put in me, that they send me to our vendors every 3 months in London, New York and Madrid as well as Sydney once a month and the regular Wednesday trip to Auckland. I've already got the working relationships with our vendors in London and NY which the previous analyst never obtained.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 8:41 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

atm basically NO. so poorly run previously and in so much denial it is beyond comprehension. at this rate it will have to shut down by the end of the year with me and 5 others out of a job. but hey its a Community run program so should run on good will, its ok that people not pay the minimal fees and its ok if you don't want to pay you can still come as we all know, staff don't have to be paid the minimal wage they only just come into line with because -She'll be right -
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom H
Instead of being completely ignored and not entitled to an opinion, whilst on a pants wage - i'm now on a decent wage and are having my opinions and ideas listened to
Do you think that this might be as a consequence of having 'time-served' with a good bit of Kiwi experience under your belt? I definitely feel the difference in attitude towards me and others I know have said the same - after having put up with some serious crap in the first few years there does seems to be a turning point where you're accepted as 'one of us' and no longer the new kid in town and you're back on track and comfortable in your shoes.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 10:05 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

If you've been minute managed to the point of harassment in Britain, those sort of bosses exist in NZ too. Believe me I know.

First temporary job I had in NZ was from an employment agency, I was just 'there'. I just did the job as required. I guess I felt valued, I didn't feel undervalued. Well, until a three month booking ended after four weeks because they had a previous employee of the company to do the job and could sidestep the agency fee. (Yeah, that old chestnut.)

Second job was ok. Busy role, short term project. The boss was rude and a bully. This person had been on courses on how to be a better human, paid for by work but it made no difference. Neither did being pulled up about their behaviour time and time again due to another complaint. One member of staff was so fed up she quit without notice. This team leader was neutral around peers, a brown nose to the managers but was noticeably shitty towards those who reported to the team leader.

Third job was ok but dull. Another short term role, this time for a couple of months. Manager was ok. Person I did the work for was ok. Did I feel valued ? I was supported in the role and genuinely thanked for my efforts so I suppose I felt valued.

Fourth job and the longest to date was from an employment agency. I got positive feedback whilst working there. I got a personal reference from the manager, which I didn't ask for so, I can see how valued I was just from reading the reference.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Nov 2nd 2014 at 10:07 pm. Reason: reading
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

My hubby works for a government agency here, came from a government agency in the UK, he is very much valued, they ask for his opinion and draw on his experience, all his bosses know his name, even the government minister for his department knows him and his name. All his bosses, who are kiwis, are trying to get him promoted as they recognise the value of his experience. He is however a forward going person, friendly, happy to learn and listen.
So yes he does feel a lot more valued than back in the UK
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 1:07 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes at my current (government department) job.
At my previous place - part of a big global IT firm - I didn't. It had all the disadvantages of a big corporate with none of the benefits.
As for race or country of origin being an issue - in nine years in NZ IT I've never felt that it has been a factor at all.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Do you think that this might be as a consequence of having 'time-served' with a good bit of Kiwi experience under your belt? I definitely feel the difference in attitude towards me and others I know have said the same - after having put up with some serious crap in the first few years there does seems to be a turning point where you're accepted as 'one of us' and no longer the new kid in town and you're back on track and comfortable in your shoes.
Some of me says yes, some of me says no

I think it's more culture and organizational behavior than anything else. The culture at the global IT firm was dreadful, a real autocratic big brother is watching you. Any opinions and decisions were never taken to clients or customers. Management refused to listen unless there was a gap in your time sheets. It was a dreadful place

My new job now, work is more fun, relaxed but they're wanting to change to improve their overall approach. They appreciate the feedback from anyone within the IT team. Our IT manager sat in my interview with my test manager, heard what I did and said - get him in. Ever since, they've all been reviewing my work and I've not had one bit of negative feedback.

Things like a bottle of champagne for the week I ended up working in Auckland and Sydney as a thank you, constant good feedback to the boss, it's little things like that, that make me feel rewarded and wanted. I never had that at the other company, which was a shame.

But then again, there were hardly any Kiwis working at the global IT company. If there's not many, then there may be a reason why!
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

I love where I work now, I don't know about feeling valued but I def feel like I at last fit in and am one of the team. I laugh every day at work and the environment is fun and for ever changing. That's all I need, I'm not a professional or a career gal so all I need is to be happy whilst I earn a dollar.
I've had a varied career in NZ, and worked around family commitments.
I've found working in NZ to be very different to the UK, the mentality can be a bit childish I've found. It's hard to describe really, you either conform or you feel like you've been time warped back to your childhood and the playground rules if you dare speak up.
Kiwis sulk ... big time! and their feelings are hurt very easily so tread carefully when you first get here.
You learn as you go, mistakes happen and you learn. Took me all this time to finally feel great in my work. I value myself and I bring to my workmates my unique Northern humour :-)
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I find Kiwi dominated workplaces generally to be overly hierarchical and political in terms of being one huge power struggle for recognition and reward - it's all very secretive behind closed doors and all about one up-manship. People are passively aggressive and deliberately obstructive; withholding information so as to use it against you or deliberately avoiding doing work. Decisions and information are not shared and transparent and it takes a long time to figure things out because people will only talk to those that are on the same level - unless you're a weasel and a schmoozer, sucking up and buying the right people coffee then you don't stand a hope.
This, exactly. I couldn't believe how nail-on-the-head this paragraph is.

Also echo Sky's sentiments about sulking kiwis - you have to be very kid gloves with them - many Brits are seen as too abrupt in our working environment.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 12:32 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I am a full time stay at home parent, knocking on 17 years on the job, so no I don't feel remotely valued by a society that pretty much thinks we are all economic units and I am therefore not a very productive one

However, I am managing study alongside it and my kids are frankly incredible young women so it's worth it to me.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

I do but it's very hard work! I have found I'm working extremely long hours, coming home very tired and hardly seeing the kids. Weekends are spent sleeping.

I do sometimes wonder if it's worth it but the money has to come from somewhere
Old Nov 9th 2014, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
What job do you do and do you feel valued ? Does your company let Brits get promotion ?

Seen and heard of so many Brits getting held back , tall poppy syndrome in nz ?

What's your views of this ?
Nope. There is some discrimination in the work place and employers don't like to take risks. Management skills aren't as sharp as in UK IMO either. NZ job market is an entirely different ball game and it can be frustrating, it's best to just shelve your expectations and consider it a totally different country.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
This, exactly. I couldn't believe how nail-on-the-head this paragraph is.

Also echo Sky's sentiments about sulking kiwis - you have to be very kid gloves with them - many Brits are seen as too abrupt in our working environment.
Agree too. The bar is very very low here for many, and it is a very different approach around getting anything changed. I get very frustrated with the work environment here, but was completely burnt out back in Blighty, someone nicely in the middle would be lovely.