Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do we stay... Sell up in the UK

Do we stay... Sell up in the UK

Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:18 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we stay... Sell up in the UK

Originally Posted by Genesis
What ever tax you pay in the Uk is not taxed again in NZ. You will only be taxed once on what you earn. The tax I pay in the Uk on my interest on my UK money is 'given' to me as a tax credit in NZ. I came before the 4 year tax free rule so I pay tax in NZ on my UK monies. Any tax deducted in the UK become an NZ tax credit. BTW if you take the 4 year tax free thinhgy I am reliably told you cannot claim for family tax creitds aswell..you have to chose betwixt the 2. You might want to see if this is correct.
Thanks Genesis - I don't have kids so it didn't apply but I forget that others need to be aware of this.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

Depends what you want to do. We wanted a clean break with no financial ties left the UK, to build a new life, buy/build a house here and not have the hassle of tenants (I was a landlord for 8 years and found 3/4 of tenants to be filthy!).

We got 10k less than we paid for it 4 years before, but got it sold easily (thought I would say were lucky). We got our equity out and we're using it to build over here.

We took the view that the market isn't going to recover any time soon, a sale's a sale and we weren't out of pocket given we'd paid 4 years off the mortgage - we just didn't make a profit.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 6:45 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer
Depends what you want to do. We wanted a clean break with no financial ties left the UK, to build a new life, buy/build a house here and not have the hassle of tenants (I was a landlord for 8 years and found 3/4 of tenants to be filthy!).

We got 10k less than we paid for it 4 years before, but got it sold easily (thought I would say were lucky). We got our equity out and we're using it to build over here.

We took the view that the market isn't going to recover any time soon, a sale's a sale and we weren't out of pocket given we'd paid 4 years off the mortgage - we just didn't make a profit.
Good point, but on the other hand selling up at the mo the cash will need to stay in the UK due to the poor exchange rate and if 2-3 years renting in NZ is the sensible option then the cash left in rent property is the safer bet until needed. Property in the UK does not loose value and as supply of new property is only half of the demand (EU immigration) has to be a good bet
Old Feb 7th 2012, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

grahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nice

Thank you all for your advice. What we have chosen to do following your advice, is to keep and fix the mortgage once more.

We make £495pcm and the mortgage will fix the repayments at £395. So, after estate agent fees we will still be saving a little. We're not prepared to sell at a loss so we'll live through the contracted 3 years, the housing market 'might' improve in that time.

In the meantime We're enjoying ourselves here in NZ, with its economy nowhere near what is happening up in the northern bit of the globe. I'm paid more than when I was working in London and that's just unbelievable on this small island with only 4.something million people!

The only thing that gets me down about this country is the lack of cultural events, and especially in Wellington. Each email newsletter from various event websites tells me more is happening in Auckland than in NZ's capital. I do miss the history and ye olde seaside of Britain. I'll get over it when I next enjoy the snorkel trails of island bay and go surfing in the Wairarapa.

Thanks all for your time and advice. Good luck to you
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:44 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

The UK house market has to pick up but when. Immigrants entering the UK at the mo compared to those numbers leaving is a deficit of 250,000 per year. House building is only 100,000 units per year due to a combination of the cash freeze and new developments being refused due to objections over planning.
Simple sums will do the rest...