Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do we need Outward-bound flights?

Do we need Outward-bound flights?

Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

The Sharpes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we need Outward-bound flights?

Hi, we are flying out to NZ on the 3rd Feb on one-way tickets We are in the process of applying for residency but will be heading out in the meantime on an essential skills work visa so I can start my new job. My husband and son will be coming out at the same time on tourist visas so I am not sure if they are going to need to show evidence of having return / outward-bound flights. Will evidence of funds be enough?

Any advice would be really appreciated as I can't seem to get an answer from anyone! Thanks, Hilary
Old Jan 16th 2013, 6:46 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we need Outward-bound flights?

yes they will. There are visa's you can apply for in the meantime to tide you over but can't remember which ones they are, International Student ones if your son goes to school,we were told by Immigration Officer not to bother as our application was already in and it would really only hurry the process up by a month but would cost hundreds. Husband had a works visa as he was offered a job and started work before the ITA was processed.
We came out on visitor's visa and had return flights for 6mths later, the longest you can stay. We always had the intention of flying back as it was the eldest 21st in that month and as it was quite a quick decision to go we didn't get round to see all the family before we left.
Also on visitor visa's kids can't attend school so you may want to see what you are going to do about that, if you are not going to send them until you have blueys or if you are going to pay International Student fees.

Look at the website for processing times as when we came over they were pretty accurate, taking any problems into account.

** just seen son is 18mth so no student visa**

Where abouts are you setting up home as see your flying into Wellington

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jan 16th 2013 at 7:13 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

The Sharpes is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks MrsFychan, yes Oliver is only 18 months so dad will be staying at home with him for the first couple of months anyway - so we didn't think it was worthwhile getting him a work visa. Our EOI has been selected and we have all our paperwork ready to go, so hopefully our PR will be processed quickly.

We have a holiday rental booked in Tawa for 5 weeks and will be looking for a longer term rental once we arrive. Porirua is on our list of areas to look into - any recommendations would be much appreciated! I'll be working in central Wellington. Thanks!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:48 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

when you're over give me a shout and we'll met up.
as for recommendations of area's the further north you go the better the weather and a few miles makes a huge difference. If you want warmer less windy then Kapiti coast would be good. MOSO lives in Waikanae , BabyBella lives in Paraparaumu Beach and both their OH's train/drive in to Wellington CBD. and both are great area's.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Kapiti Coast is a great area to live in, lots of young families. Have a look anywhere from Pukerua Bay to Waikanae. We are in Paraparaumu Beach, Raumati Beach is lovely and has such a lovely primary school. Also has good secondary schools for the area. As Mrs F says my hubby commutes everyday and does not find it a hassel. In his words 'it sure beats the M1 everyday and the commute is worth the enjoyment of living on the coast'.
Kaz
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Sharpes
Porirua is on our list of areas to look into - any recommendations would be much appreciated! I'll be working in central Wellington. Thanks!
Excellent choice....

Commuting from Porirua or Paremata is easy and quite pleasurable. From Whitby to the CBD, i leave just before 7 in the morning and via Bus & Train walk into the office in Willis St at 8.

Best areas in Porirua are Whitby, Paremata, Papakowhai, Pauatahanui and contain the best schools for upto Year 8. College's you're looking at goioing outside the area as most kids do. Aotea I think is over priced and schools I believed are zoned for Cannon's Creek (maybe wrong).

Driving into the CBD takes about 30 mins and going the other way only takes about 20-30 mins before your on the Kapiti Coast or over the Haywards and into the Hutt Valley. We've been here 6 years and love the area...
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:31 am
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

This is very useful. I thought when I get a wtr visa (fingers crossed) then the rest of the family would come with me on a visitor waived visa. When they got here dad would apply for a family stream work visa here. Does that sound about right? I think 4 yo would be able to to go to free kindergarten because of my visa?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 6:24 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Synky
This is very useful. I thought when I get a wtr visa (fingers crossed) then the rest of the family would come with me on a visitor waived visa. When they got here dad would apply for a family stream work visa here. Does that sound about right? I think 4 yo would be able to to go to free kindergarten because of my visa?
Anyone can travel on a visitor visa assuming they qualify but they will need return tickets and have limited access to facilities such as funded daycare as obviously those facilities are not for visitors.

You should apply for work/student visa's as appropriate (even if they don't plan to work or study), for them. Your 4yo will only be able to get funded kindergarten (20hrs/wk), if they have a student visa. Due to a recent fiasco involving Chinese Uni students that had no current student visa's all education establishments are very hot on visa status.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth noting that you don't need return tickets to the UK, just outwardbound flights. When we cme over as visitors in 2007, i just had utward bound tickets to Oz, which was good enough... also saves heaps and if you get everything sorted you can then have a quick buzz over the ditch for a holiday...
Old Jan 17th 2013, 9:46 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

Good tip Simon. Will the toddlers need outward bound flights too?

Last edited by Synky; Jan 17th 2013 at 10:03 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Everybody will do...
Old Jan 18th 2013, 12:17 am

Yes everyone without a valid visa will have to have onward flights, also you need to be aware that you can't just keep leaving the country and returning there is a set amount of time you can stay on a visitors visa within a structured timescale.

"How long can I stay?
The maximum stay under a visitor visa is nine months.

We usually only allow visitors to stay for nine months in an 18-month period.

To work this out, we:
look at the last day that you intend to be in New Zealand (eg 1 July 2012)
count back 18 months from that date (eg 1 January 2011)
check that you will not be spending more than nine months in New Zealand during this time (eg 1 January 2011 to 1 July 2012)."

taken from: http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1024
Old Jan 18th 2013, 1:07 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Everybody will do...
...and if you stuff up and accidentally overstay, this might affect your toddler's ability to get a proper visa in the future. My advice- get them all student visa's as soon as you can, their time period will match yours and no opportunity to forget they are visitors....not having to have an onward ticket will pay for the student visa's I would think. (Of course toddlers could sit on your knee at reduced ticket price but then you would need an onward ticket too)
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:17 am

here's hoping that the process is finished before you need to have the visa or need to leave
Old Jan 18th 2013, 6:32 am
NZ wannabe

Thanks for the advice. I will apply for student visas as soon as I can - as I understand it I will need a work visa first so I think we will need to do it out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.