Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do Tvs from UK work in NZ?

Do Tvs from UK work in NZ?

Old Dec 4th 2012, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

muchachamama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do Tvs from UK work in NZ?

Stupid question but we are moving to NZ early next year and about to pack up...do we take our TV?? I know in the past Tvs were not compatible, but I wondered with digital whether now they are...does anyone know??

Thanks
Old Dec 4th 2012, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Tvs from UK work in NZ?

Yeah they work but they'll not pick a signal up so you'll just need a Sky, Freeview or Igloo box plugged into it.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 9:58 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

yep just need to swap over plugs
Old Dec 4th 2012, 10:23 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

An old chestnut requires an old post....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=15

Depends what you want to do with em.......but you should be able to use them on the end of most boxes, consoles, DVDs and VCRs.
UK freeview will not work and once analogue NZ TV is off then the analogue TV tuner won't be any good to you for receiving (great....NOT) NZ analogue TV.
Good luck
Old Dec 4th 2012, 11:05 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

It will receive a picture but no sound, so, as good as useless. One of our t.v.'s was relatively new so we could get freeview in nz. We've got Sky now so all our troubles are at an end...........
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

mine just plugged and played, never heard of the not picking up a signal thing before.
Everyone I know who has brought a TV has never had a problem. Xboxs,Wii's,PS3's all work as well.
DVD players tend to have a different region so can be an issue but some work and some wont, it depends on your player.
As far as I know DAB radios dont work cos we still live in the dark ages, UK freeview doesnt work
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:35 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

The power is the same so UK TV's will power up (with a change of plug or adapter obviously).

Anything you plug in via a scart socket should work (depends on NTSC/PAL compatibility)

Anything you plug in via composite video/audio should work (depends on NTSC/PAL compatibility)

Anything received down an aerial lead won't work with the exception of Prime in some areas (and that will stop soon with analogue switch off next year).

UK Satellite boxes don't work (not even for free view), as the satellite signal polarity is the opposite of the satellites in Europe so nada (don't waste time tuning or fiddling with the dish). Same for any built-in freeview tuners in UK TVs.

Good news here is that NZ Freeview is available via satellite too, and it comes off the same satellite as Sky, so if you go into a rental with a Sky dish - just plug in a NZ satellite freeview box and it should be plug n play.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:09 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

As I've said before most TVs from about 15 yrs ago and on can switch the PAL mode to PAL-G and then you'll get everything off the aerial in analogue TV, but hardly anyone does that anymore. Even me with my grand old beast of a CRT analogue TV with a better picture than any plasma, LCD or whatever on standard def TV.......without a tube boost or new tube

Most people not having TV with built in receiver for NZ have STBs for satellite or terrestrial digital and that is just a matter of cabling and aerial/dish.

Don't pay top dollar for cables in the likes of Bond&Bond, Noel Leeming, Dick Smith, etc as that is often where they make their money. Try trade me for cables as most are OK to start with.

With satellite it's not quite plug and play because the STB can be set up for the wrong transponders/satellites compared to the exisiting one at your place and it might need a little experimentation. Or you might be lucky. I even bought a satellite signal strength meter for ours only to find that the settings on the STB were wrong as supplied, and I had checked it with the bloke from the computer shop.....

If anyone is interested mine

is on OptusD1, LNB Type User, Low 10750, High 10750, DisEqC Disable, 12V off, 22khZ off, LNB Power ON. We have an old Sharp single band LNB (the thing that sticks out on the pole in front of the dish).

Good Luck.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
DVD players tend to have a different region so can be an issue but some work and some wont, it depends on your player.
I got my enormous film collection shipped from the UK with the rest of my stuff and thought i'd have to spend a fortune getting some fancy multi-regional DVD player in order to be able to watch them.....low and behold my $26 Dick Smith DVD player plays them all. Its not big and fancy - it does stick occasionally but it works multi-region!

When I expressed my surprise at this to a techy friend he said that often the cheaper ones will play anything, its the big fancy ones that are locked to specific regions - and then apparently you can "un-lock" them a bit like a mobile phone?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:04 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
.....When I expressed my surprise at this to a techy friend he said that often the cheaper ones will play anything, its the big fancy ones that are locked to specific regions - and then apparently you can "un-lock" them a bit like a mobile phone?
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks is your friend
(the old dvdrhelp site)
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Thank for that. But like I say.....my cheaply thing plays them no probs!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:22 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I purchased a cheap dvd player from Harvey Norman or Warehouse for um, not much money and so far it's played every dvd I've put on it. I ordered some dvds from Britain and it played them no problem.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

I have a Panasonic tv with with built in apps that work via the net if i plug an rj45 cable into it from my router it has bbc iplayer, you tube and dozens of other things, will it all work in nz or should i sell it before coming.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 10:50 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY
I have a Panasonic tv with with built in apps that work via the net if i plug an rj45 cable into it from my router it has bbc iplayer, you tube and dozens of other things, will it all work in nz or should i sell it before coming.
others have used a variety of means to get iPlayer, etc to work in NZ. The rest should work AFIK.

Routers are pretty much the same here too, but just don't call them "Rooters", try using the "rowter" as in NZ "to root" means "to copulate" and Kiwis find it very amusing.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lardyl

Routers are pretty much the same here too, but just don't call them "Rooters", try using the "rowter" as in NZ "to root" means "to copulate" and Kiwis find it very amusing.

penny just dropped why one of the Doc's was giving me a weird look when i was questioning his need for a "rooter" for his home set up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.