British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Do they know something? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/do-they-know-something-396933/)

jueinnz Sep 16th 2006 10:03 pm

Do they know something?

HI Guys,
You are are going to tell me that I watch TV too much again but...

what do you think about those "Nateral Distaster Adverts"
Telling us to be prepared and what to do in the event of....
Do you think they (the government) know someting we don't?

Also who actually has a emergancy kit like they suggest is it water for 4 days? Food 4 a week??? Spare gas bottle etc.???

thebears Sep 16th 2006 10:26 pm

Re: Do they know something?

Originally Posted by jueinnz
HI Guys,
You are are going to tell me that I watch TV too much again but...

what do you think about those "Nateral Distaster Adverts"
Telling us to be prepared and what to do in the event of....
Do you think they (the government) know someting we don't?

Also who actually has a emergancy kit like they suggest is it water for 4 days? Food 4 a week??? Spare gas bottle etc.???

In the current world of terrisom threats its not such a bad idea to have the public semi prepared - ie that they can fend for themselves until the govt can get to them.

danny.f Sep 17th 2006 1:42 am

There was a similar thread a couple of months ago,and a lot of the Kiwipeeps had all sorts boxed away-sounded very exciting! Hope it gets you a few days off! :)

IainW Sep 17th 2006 2:08 am

HI Guys,

Me.

I can see 2 active volcanoes from where I live (Taranaki & Ruapehu) and have experienced half a dozen decent sized tremors in the last 9 months or so. The crater lake on Ruapehu is due to go anytime soon, thus releasing lehars right left and centre.

You're in Auckland aren't you? That's the city built on top of 48 volcanoes. With an island just off the coast which didn't exist 600 years ago. Best start packing that box... ;)

cottageinthesky Sep 17th 2006 3:04 am

HI Guys,

Me too. Wellington lies alongside the tail end of the San Andreas fault line - yep, the one that charges on past Los Angeles, so it is not a question of "if" The Big One happens but "when". There is only one road out of Wellington until you get to the Ngauranga Gorge when there are then 2 options - up the Kapiti Coast or over the Rimutakas to the Wairarapa so, in the event of a major earthquake, it is possible that Wellington would be cut off by road, perhaps for several weeks. The airport is built on reclaimed land which uplifted when the last Big One struck and as reclaimed land tends to liquify in a major quake, it is possible the airport won't be functional either. And, of course, if we suffer a tsunami as well, the port will be wiped out. So.......... lots of people have emergency kits to be able to look after themselves for a couple of weeks.

Think a lot of people took it more seriously just before the millenium when NZ was going to be the first place to see what happened when all those computers went over to 2000.

The Earthquake Commission also runs a "Fix, Fasten, Forget" campaign which encourages us to tie back hot water cylinders, fix tall furniture to walls, put putty under ornaments, etc. See www.eqc.govt.nz. In fact, they've been so successful that the old definition of "fixtures and fittings" in terms of house sales is going to have to be redefined, as a lot more "chattels" are now fixed to walls.

leedge Sep 17th 2006 7:05 am

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Me too. Wellington lies alongside the tail end of the San Andreas fault line - yep, the one that charges on past Los Angeles, .

I agree with your sentiments about getting supplies in in case of the "big one" in Wellington.....we have!, but it's not *strictly* accurate that Wellington is on the same fault as San Francisco, unless you interpret the whole of the pacific rim as being the same fault :confused: .... try this site for a map that puts it in perspective (and some cool animations as well) http://tsunami.geo.ed.ac.uk/local-bi...ific&speed=120
Laurence

cottageinthesky Sep 17th 2006 7:27 am

Originally Posted by leedge
I agree with your sentiments about getting supplies in in case of the "big one" in Wellington.....we have!, but it's not *strictly* accurate that Wellington is on the same fault as San Francisco, unless you interpret the whole of the pacific rim as being the same fault :confused: .... try this site for a map that puts it in perspective (and some cool animations as well) http://tsunami.geo.ed.ac.uk/local-bi...ific&speed=120
Laurence

Thanks for that, Laurence - as so often happens, I got a message saying something like "you haven't got the .... that you need to download ..... " I work on an Applemac - don't know if that makes any difference - will have to wait for one of my sons to sort it out/interpret!!

jueinnz Sep 17th 2006 7:49 am

Originally Posted by IainW
Me.

I can see 2 active volcanoes from where I live (Taranaki & Ruapehu) and have experienced half a dozen decent sized tremors in the last 9 months or so. The crater lake on Ruapehu is due to go anytime soon, thus releasing lehars right left and centre.

You're in Auckland aren't you? That's the city built on top of 48 volcanoes. With an island just off the coast which didn't exist 600 years ago. Best start packing that box... ;)

What island didn't excist 600 years ago?

The volcanos were a real worry to me when we were deciding to immigrate, and I can quite honestly say that all my inlaws (already here) and my husband seemed to have conspired to lie to me about it!!!! OH it will never happen!!! blah blah blah the lesson to be learnt here is find out for yourself!!!

My issue is we opened the fridge today and it consisted off half a bottle of pop half a block of cheese and half a green capiscon.
How is someone with a fridge contents like that supposed to stock up????

helinuk Sep 17th 2006 11:19 am

[QUOTE=jueinnz]What island didn't excist 600 years ago?

The volcanos were a real worry to me when we were deciding to immigrate, and I can quite honestly say that all my inlaws (already here) and my husband seemed to have conspired to lie to me about it!!!! OH it will never happen!!! blah blah blah the lesson to be learnt here is find out for yourself!!!

Hi
wow all this talk of earthquakes and volcanoes erupting- scary :scared:
So why do the Gov. still entice people to move to NZ if it's imminent? OK I'm not daft I have read about it before but... think I'll have to put this on the cons side of my pros and cons list for NZ! Why would anyone want to move into danger if it's imminent?!

IainW Sep 17th 2006 7:56 pm

What island didn't excist 600 years ago?

Rangitoto.

It just exploded out of the sea - big isn't it? :D

The individual volcanoes in Auckland are all extinct, but the underlying volcanic field is still active. Not very likely to go pop, but possible.

Ruapehu, Tongariro, Ngauruhoe & Taranaki are all still very much alive and kicking and the chance of at least one of them going bang in the next 5-10 years is pretty high.

On the brightside, if they did erupt, they're pretty much in the middle of nowhere and the ony people to be affected would be those in the nearby tourist trade and a few farmers. The lahars from the crater lake at Ruapehu will probably cause a fair bit of havoc, but their likely path is pretty well known.

Have a look here for all the latest data http://www.geonet.org.nz/

mumomonty Sep 18th 2006 1:29 am

It's just the way it is here.
In Oz they try and give you info on waht to do in bushfires etc.
It's just part of life.
Let's face it we will all be better off with the pack of stufff should something go wrong and we'll all have only us to count on.
It's not so 'laid on' here as in the UK.
It might happen, it might not but earthquakes are fairly common here albeit little ones so who's to say a biggie won't happen?
Be prepared but just don't be fearful.

newkiwi Sep 18th 2006 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Me too. Wellington lies alongside the tail end of the San Andreas fault line - yep, the one that charges on past Los Angeles, so it is not a question of "if" The Big One happens but "when". There is only one road out of Wellington until you get to the Ngauranga Gorge when there are then 2 options - up the Kapiti Coast or over the Rimutakas to the Wairarapa so, in the event of a major earthquake, it is possible that Wellington would be cut off by road, perhaps for several weeks. The airport is built on reclaimed land which uplifted when the last Big One struck and as reclaimed land tends to liquify in a major quake, it is possible the airport won't be functional either. And, of course, if we suffer a tsunami as well, the port will be wiped out. So.......... lots of people have emergency kits to be able to look after themselves for a couple of weeks.

Think a lot of people took it more seriously just before the millenium when NZ was going to be the first place to see what happened when all those computers went over to 2000.

The Earthquake Commission also runs a "Fix, Fasten, Forget" campaign which encourages us to tie back hot water cylinders, fix tall furniture to walls, put putty under ornaments, etc. See www.eqc.govt.nz. In fact, they've been so successful that the old definition of "fixtures and fittings" in terms of house sales is going to have to be redefined, as a lot more "chattels" are now fixed to walls.

For all the Wellington folk, or visitors, check out the "Shoreline1840" plaques on the sidewalk along lamdon quay and willis street and a few other places. shows where the shoreline was before a big earthquake which lifted a huge piece of land up from the sea, forming the existing coastline. pretty cool really, little reminders people walk over without even noticing.