Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do something for someone else!

Do something for someone else!

Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:30 pm
  #1  
Nice Tats
Thread Starter
 
Pompey_Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: PARADISE DARN SARRF
Posts: 819
Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Do something for someone else!

Hey why not sponsor a child in another part of the world? if you are thinking about moving to NZ you must be able to afford it.........its great to make a difference to a liitle soul somewhere!

http://www.plan-international.org/

Takes your mind off your own crap thats for sure!
Pompey_Paul is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:14 pm
  #2  
livewire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Do something for someone else!

Excellent idea.

We sponsor a child in Zambia through World Vision. She's a girl aged 11 and she writes us letters saying how she has to walk miles to the well to gather water for the family, and is lucky because she can go to school for a few hours every day.

My reason for choosing Zambia is because this is where I lived when I was that age and I wanted to give something back.

World vision can be contacted in both NZ and UK through their websites
http://www.worldvision.org.nz and .....org.uk

You can make all the difference
 
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:52 am
  #3  
Somewhere
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 36,007
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do something for someone else!

It is such a good idea.

We sponsored a childs education in Sri Lanka .
Years ago we paid for a Samoan boys education .
We chose those countries because we had travelled within them and knew the people envolved with the schemes.
BEVS is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:06 am
  #4  
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 98
ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do something for someone else!

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Hey why not sponsor a child in another part of the world? if you are thinking about moving to NZ you must be able to afford it.........its great to make a difference to a liitle soul somewhere!

http://www.plan-international.org/

Takes your mind off your own crap thats for sure!
Excellent P. Paul.... Another idea is sponsoring a guide dog in training for the blind.
ElizabethC is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:37 am
  #5  
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0
 
uk+kiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,606
uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do something for someone else!

Originally Posted by livewire
Excellent idea.

We sponsor a child in Zambia through World Vision. She's a girl aged 11 and she writes us letters saying how she has to walk miles to the well to gather water for the family, and is lucky because she can go to school for a few hours every day.

My reason for choosing Zambia is because this is where I lived when I was that age and I wanted to give something back.

World vision can be contacted in both NZ and UK through their websites
http://www.worldvision.org.nz and .....org.uk

You can make all the difference
Interesting. I started school in Zambia and my sister was born there. A few lovely memories and probably the start of my life long love affair with Africa.
uk+kiwi is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:09 am
  #6  
Nice Tats
Thread Starter
 
Pompey_Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: PARADISE DARN SARRF
Posts: 819
Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do something for someone else!

Originally Posted by livewire
Excellent idea.

We sponsor a child in Zambia through World Vision. She's a girl aged 11 and she writes us letters saying how she has to walk miles to the well to gather water for the family, and is lucky because she can go to school for a few hours every day.

My reason for choosing Zambia is because this is where I lived when I was that age and I wanted to give something back.

World vision can be contacted in both NZ and UK through their websites
http://www.worldvision.org.nz and .....org.uk

You can make all the difference
Nice touch to relate it back to somewhere you have experience of! we sponsor a child called Jeffrey in malawi......actually it was my boys idea when he was 10 years old...what can you say to a kid who says "we can afford £14.00 a week cant we Dad?".
Pompey_Paul is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:11 am
  #7  
Nice Tats
Thread Starter
 
Pompey_Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: PARADISE DARN SARRF
Posts: 819
Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do something for someone else!

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
Excellent P. Paul.... Another idea is sponsoring a guide dog in training for the blind.
Yep my sBrother and Sisterland in Te atu in Auckland train them......its great fun as well...breaks you heart when they go though!
Pompey_Paul is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:13 am
  #8  
Nice Tats
Thread Starter
 
Pompey_Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: PARADISE DARN SARRF
Posts: 819
Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do something for someone else!

Originally Posted by Apollo10
It is such a good idea.

We sponsored a childs education in Sri Lanka .
Years ago we paid for a Samoan boys education .
We chose those countries because we had travelled within them and knew the people envolved with the schemes.
You guys rock! we can visit on the scheme we have but i guess we wont ......maybe i should make it happen anyone know anything about visiting malawi?
Pompey_Paul is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:23 am
  #9  
livewire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Do something for someone else!

Hey!! You're the only other person who I've "met" who has lived in Zambia. Where abouts did you live? we were in Mufulira (my dad worked for the copper mine there) not far from the border with the Congo. Infact we used to use a bush track that took us over the border and to the most fantastic water hole with rock slides.

When were were there we used to go on holiday in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe and SA . I went back a few years ago and visited the place again.

Walking through the rainforest to Victoria falls to see them by moonlight, the bayobab trees, elephants, sunsets, red dust, charcoal fires, sitting under a shady tree in the dirt and getting your hair braided...... Africa is a fantastic place, you can never really get it out of your system. I would've loved to have gone back there to live but it wasn't to be.

When you think of all the dangers we had - snakes, spiders, tsetse fly, Bilharzia, yellow fever, malaria and all the rest we had a remarkably healthy and robust childhood.
 
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:53 pm
  #10  
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0
 
uk+kiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,606
uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do something for someone else!

Originally Posted by livewire
Hey!! You're the only other person who I've "met" who has lived in Zambia.
Hello. We lived in Luanshya. My sister was born in the Copper Mine Hospital there and our house was literally down that road - plus my little kindergarten school.

I can remember Vic Falls like it was yesterday - and I was 4/5. Also Mombassa and Nairobi.

Also the river cruises and near death experiences with some elephants ON our mini and a very close encounter with a dangerous snake in our garden. I'm not too good with snakes or dogs now (similar experience with an alsation). In fact, I'm surprised I'm here at all!

I have been back to Africa a few times, not to any of these places though, and also had the pleasure of working for 2 weeks in Nambia in '95 doing some fund raising with Raleigh International which was awesome and reminded me of how much I just love Africa. The sunrises and sunsets over the park areas are breathtaking. And being so close to the animals. Giraffes are my favourite.

Have also toyed with living in Africa. Not sure why we haven't explored the idea further to be honest since I have always said that if I win the lottery - I'm straight onto African charity work. Strange I know. I do have a feeling that I will spend more time there again one day though, but for some reason it is not somewhere I wish to raise the children. Speaking of which, it is now bathtime.......

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Nov 29th 2005 at 6:55 pm.
uk+kiwi is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2005, 12:08 am
  #11  
livewire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Do something for someone else!

Lol, forgotten about the river cruises - I remember wanting to keep a look out for hippos in case they turned the boat over.

OMG - Never had THAT close an encounter with an elephant but with snakes quite a few times (baby snakes in the bath! green mambas in the garden etc) and we'd be rounded up into the house whilst the garden was gassed.

It must've been such a rewarding experience to have the opportunity to work with Raleigh International. I visited Vanuatu recently and it reminded me very much of Africa - it's an incredibly poor country and it made me wish that I could've done something more than hand out books and sports equipment to kids.

If I could go back and live there I'd think about the southern coast of SA - such an amazing country.
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.