British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Do people really struggle to get by in North island? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/do-people-really-struggle-get-north-island-598204/)

GILDOC Mar 17th 2009 9:06 pm

Do people really struggle to get by in North island?

After reading some posts on emigrateNZ a lot of people seem to be saying that the wages do not reflect the cost of living and they struggle to do anything once bills have been paid, is this true?

Browner_ Mar 17th 2009 9:14 pm

Re: Do people really struggle to get by in North island?

Originally Posted by GILDOC (Post 7390554)
After reading some posts on emigrateNZ a lot of people seem to be saying that the wages do not reflect the cost of living and they struggle to do anything once bills have been paid, is this true?

First of all you have to have a job in the first place.
I cant find a decent one for love nor money and I aint working for $20 per hour.

If you need a mortgage or have to pay rent, then it could be tough.

No doubt some qualified people get great salaries, but the average unskilled Joe doesnt get much at all.

cleverchap Mar 17th 2009 10:05 pm

I'm living in Wadestown, Wellington and I'm currently working as a temp on $20/hr. Its not the best salary but you can get by on any amount so long as you live within your means. I'm not going to be temping for ever but its better than nothing.
My wife and I both work, we have no children and a low rent, so we save her wages every month and we are content for the moment.

Browner_ I would suggest that in these financial times beggars can't be choosers, and its always easier to find a job if you are employed. I'm University educated and fully qualified so its not just the 'Regular Joes' that struggle.;)

Genesis Mar 17th 2009 10:15 pm

Yes unless you have really good pay or have no mortgage (or a small one) getting by is hard. The median wage is around $40k ish. Anything $55k and above is considered 'good' wages.

It does not go far. % rates for mortgages are on the way down and the house price bubble has burst which is a good thing for many.

Doing the sums is by far one of the most important things prior to emigrating. Its been a great voyage but I know I would not have stuck it had I been living in penury. NZ is awesome but its not that good that I would be content here on the bones of my arse, I worked out we would be way better off here taking into account a number of factors. Were that not the case I doubt I would have come. Great scenery, ghreta for the kids and all the beaches are empty....BUT not worth it in my opinion if you 'just get by'.

luvwelly Mar 17th 2009 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Browner_ (Post 7390580)
First of all you have to have a job in the first place.
I cant find a decent one for love nor money and I aint working for $20 per hour.

If you need a mortgage or have to pay rent, then it could be tough.

No doubt some qualified people get great salaries, but the average unskilled Joe doesnt get much at all.

Minimum wage is around NZ$12.

pixi-dust Mar 17th 2009 10:21 pm

have to agree with what the others have said.
We are lucky enough to only have a small mortgage ( but we are paying it off over a short amount of time so the repayments are huge ) and we are also on a decent income and I often wonder how people manage.
It's not like we have a very expensive lifestyle either.
I think $20 per hour is actually really good. When we arrived I was working as a dental nurse and got $14 per hour and I really hated it! ( I don't like blood!)

That being said we came here not for the money which we knew would never be a patch in what we earned in the uk, but for many other things which we've achieved and we're very happy and way less skint than we were last year just by learning how to budget and plan. We have savings now.

Browner_ Mar 17th 2009 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by cleverchap (Post 7390752)
Browner_ I would suggest that in these financial times beggars can't be choosers, and its always easier to find a job if you are employed. I'm University educated and fully qualified so its not just the 'Regular Joes' that struggle.;)

Yes thats true. But its hardly worth losing the UB for $20 an hour.

For most jobs, there is always someone else with better industry experience, or better technical knowledge, or has citizenship, or has government experience, or is part-CA qualified, or has NZ experience, or knowledge of blah blah blah.

The fact that you maybe many times more competent and adaptable than most of the *****'s (insert appropriate word as you see fit) who seem to work at these places doesnt seem to count for much.

Browner_ Mar 17th 2009 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 7390794)
Minimum wage is around NZ$12.

Would you work for that?

cleverchap Mar 17th 2009 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Browner_ (Post 7390815)
Would you work for that?

Yes if I had to

luvwelly Mar 17th 2009 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Browner_ (Post 7390815)
Would you work for that?

No, luckily I don't have to, I wasn't implying you should, just pointing out that even double minimum wage is not a lot especially by the time you've paid tax on it.

Like Pixi-dust, I don't know how people survive here on standard Kiwi rates....lots of things must have to give from what I can gather on here such as life insurance, retirement savings, dental treatment, holidays....but I don't get why Brits are so keen to emigrate for obviously much lower wages anyway (I haven't done that).

cleverchap Mar 17th 2009 10:43 pm

$20/hr working 40hr a week is around $41K/annum (before tax) so a median wage.

kiwinow Mar 17th 2009 11:06 pm

I work part time for $14.50ph as an elderly carer and write advertising features for a bit extra. I work for that because I can't land another job, and I'd rather be working so that I have something to write on my CV when I apply for other jobs. OH earns around $35ph, but he also drives buses on Saturday for $12.50ph, drives a limo occasionally and takes portraits and wedding photos and the money from those things goes into an investment account for whenever it is needed. We have 4 kids and if we didn't do the extras we'd be struggling, even though we live in the South Island. Most people at my work have no retirement plan except winning lotto.

If you have no mortgage, or a low mortgage, you'll be fine if you have jobs. If you can command a decent salary, especially if you both can, it will be easier for you than most of NZ. If you have kids, you want to give them opportunities so they will always cost you money. But as someone said the mean salary here is quite low. $40 -50k is what many people earn, (and a good many lower) and on that you really need more than one income if you have a mortgage and a family. People survive by living frugally, but if you will be in that position you'll have to have some good reasons for moving here.

TurnersNZ Mar 17th 2009 11:11 pm

Yes and No depends where you live and what you expect.

Put it in prospective for you that neither of us works full-time and our income dont drop below $520 in any week. Our mortgage/expenses is no higher than what we would be paying in rent and we run 2 cars yet we still live comfortably.

Lifes what you make it and some people just put the $$$ wastage to high on the priority list.

Location North Island just depends where in the North Island you are going, BIG PLACE!!!

Genesis Mar 18th 2009 1:22 am

Originally Posted by cleverchap (Post 7390838)
Yes if I had to

$12 p/hr?? You don't need to. I earned $30 an hour cleaning people's houses and doing gardening and odd jobs. Most will happily pay $20minimum per hour and above for a good, hardworking, honest and reliable odd jobber. Even with 19.5% off for tax (up to $38ish K p/a) its still better than $12. Its REALLy easy to get started and if you are good you will have endless customers. I have done it both here and in the UK. Being self employed is sooooooooooooooo easy!!!!

Browner have you not thought of it yourself? These agencies that get people to your house charge way over 440 an hour to the customer. Even in this climate people want their gardens done, their houses cleaned and odd jobs done. I have really enjoyed being self sufficient, giving good service, being my own boss and having TOTAL control of MY life.

irnbru14 Mar 18th 2009 3:46 am

Bascially all that goes in goes out again, a much larger percentage of my salary goes out in rent each month compared to the % I was paying in the UK. Have been here nearly a year and a half now and still its a struggle to get to grips with the financial side of things! Worst thing for me is getting paid monthly but rent goes out weekly, so some months I have 4 payments from one wage and other 5, its bloody stupid and harder to budget at times...

Seriously work out the sums on wages vs rent/insurances/cost of living before you make the big step. Its not a place to come if you want to save cash, for that stay in the UK or try find work in Dubai!

Saying that, I do love my life here in Welly and maybe if I cut down on brunch/coffee etc it would be better financially, but I came here to live and enjoy it and not to penny pinch and be miserable, could happily have done that at home!!