Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do people hire childrens entertainers in NZ???

Do people hire childrens entertainers in NZ???

Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

dave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud of
Default Do people hire childrens entertainers in NZ???

I ask this question as I am thinking of setting myself up in business once in NZ as it will fit in with my kids and OH working. I was going set my own business in the UK before we decided we were going to NZ. From the research I have via the internet there seems to be very little in the way of party entertainers mainly for birthday parties and was wondering if this is because in NZ people just dont go to town on parties like they do in the UK or there just are'nt many of them!!! I know this is not the usual question asked on here but anyone with kids my be able to help me out..Thanks lisa:
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do people hire childrens entertainers in NZ???

Originally Posted by dave.and.lisa
I ask this question as I am thinking of setting myself up in business once in NZ as it will fit in with my kids and OH working. I was going set my own business in the UK before we decided we were going to NZ. From the research I have via the internet there seems to be very little in the way of party entertainers mainly for birthday parties and was wondering if this is because in NZ people just dont go to town on parties like they do in the UK or there just are'nt many of them!!! I know this is not the usual question asked on here but anyone with kids my be able to help me out..Thanks lisa:
hi jacky here,doesn't seem to be much call for it here,well not in Auckland anyway,sons been to a few parties here,and i must say not much variety in nz for childrens parties,back home there would be a least 3 a month from kids in his class,not so much here.....don't know if its because people don't have the same disposable income here....but good luck anyway....jacky
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:38 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by garryhg
don't know if its because people don't have the same disposable income here...jacky
I think that is probably it.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

dave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud of

Thanks guys looks like I will have to stick to nursing!!!!!!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

My little one that has just turned 3 and is at kindy has been to a few parties. Only one had an entertainer, a girl dressed as a fairy who read stories, did dances, face painting etc. It was great but probably just for young kids.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

A quick search through www.yellowpages.co.nz reveals 4 listings for children entertainer party in New Zealand, one of which seems to be the fairy lady that Jude J refered to.

I don't think it's something that would pay full time...
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:29 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Lardy MkII has twin school friends and their dad does the very thing but his company also does the other party stuff too - eg disco hire, etc.
They seem to be pretty busy as we asked them to quote for his recent party and they had no dates available......
I can dig out the contact details if you would like to speak to them
You'll need to work in a patch where people do that sort of thing - there are probably only a limited number of places where there is demand and people can afford to have entertainers - bear in mind that childcare costs in NZ are pretty low - we pay about $4-$5 an hour to get our littlie baby minded with Bernardos, so people will have certain expectations of the cost of a party.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

The fairy lady (there may be more than one!) charged $100 an hour which I thought was reasonable.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:25 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
The fairy lady (there may be more than one!) charged $100 an hour which I thought was reasonable.
There's only one Fairy Lady on here!! And if Am loolah is going to start entertaining at kiddies parties - I would love to be there
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by karonious
There's only one Fairy Lady on here!! And if Am loolah is going to start entertaining at kiddies parties - I would love to be there
True...I wonder what you get for your 100 bucks
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:37 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

/slaps self around face with a wet fish/
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:37 am
you dewty owld maan!

Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:48 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a circus school in Christchurch, I know a few of the students make spare cash by doing kids parties, but they tend to end up being glorified babysitters, all the growups then getting pissed!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Been here less than a year but all the kids parties we have been invited to so far have been:
Ten-pin bowling
or
Indoor soft-play centre (of which there are several) or skating arena where you can bring your own food.

Wellington is another of the areas where a percentage of the population would have the disposable income but whether they'd have the inclination or not I don't know.
Don't think there are the same peer pressures here to out do the previous party/find sth different.

For older kids sleepovers seem to be the norm accompanied with a trip to the cinema or similar.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:38 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave.and.lisa
We've been to 20 or so kids parties in 2 and a half years - only one had a kids entertainer and it was an english family that had organised it!! At $100 a go that seems like a lot of money for the average family to spend on an hours worth of balloon blowing and water pistols.... you have to bear in mind you are entering the world of "bring a plate" and "shared lunches" and birthday parties on the beach or other public land at zero cost to the parents....

good luck, but I don't think children's entertainers are in excessive demand in Auckland at the present time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.