Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do i take my UK Motor Bike to New Zealand?

Do i take my UK Motor Bike to New Zealand?

Old May 25th 2008, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Do i take my UK Motor Bike to New Zealand?

We are hopefully moving over Aug/September this year.

Has anybody taken a motor bike over from the UK (UK Plates) to New Zealand?

If so what it the procedure?

Thanks
Old May 26th 2008, 6:15 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do i take my UK Motor Bike to New Zealand?

Mate, Bro, Cuz.....bring the bar steward.
if you've a definite emotional tie to the bike, bring it in. If not, sell it, and buy cheaper here.
We had mine shipped in the container with the rest of our household goods.
The basic procedure is dead easy. You go to NZ customs with proof of ownership, photo ID etc, declare to customs how long you've had it (I think either one or two years excludes you from import duty), you don't intend to sell it, then you take their form to the shipper and pick it up.
First, needs a brake check at a local bike shop to certify discs/drums and pads/shoes are within a set limit (I think 60%) of new measurements.
Next, WoF. Get this done at an LTNZ station and you can do the rego at the same time.
You'll then be issued a set of NZ plates. Fit 'em, and you're free to pick up a stupid amount of demerit points in a ridiculously short amount of time.
Bear in mind, track days here are cheap, plentiful, and an absolute hoot.

Go to http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/ for loads of info and help. If you look up my user name "kinger", you'll find my original posts which asked the questions you're asking now.

If you're over forty, there's also a highly sociable club her, Ulysses. It migrated from Oz, but is a great social group.

My bike came through with aftermarket discs, braided hoses, a leaking fork seal which I fixed and a replacement (bigger) engine, and had no problems whatsoever.

Last edited by hazeandsteve; May 26th 2008 at 8:02 am. Reason: To add info.
Old May 26th 2008, 8:01 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

In no particular order, I used these links as the starting point for my import.
Good luck bro...

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/importing/index.html
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/publications...heet-1-67.html
http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...es/default.asp
http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/comme...non-biological
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/publications...europe.html#lc
Old May 26th 2008, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers bro, thanks for info, got to make my mind up whether to buy in uk or wait till we get over to NZ.

I sold my last bike over 3 years ago, due to family commitments. When we get over to NZ the plan is that my oh has a car and I use the bike to get to and from work (good excuse )

Bryan
Old May 26th 2008, 9:24 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say bring it with you. I'm gutted I sold my beloved old yammie TZR250 to a mate before leaving thinking I'd pick up a cheapy here no worries. Not so - the same bike over here is over double the price (in pounds) as it would have been to ship mine out here. Yeah - we're not talking break the bank amounts but still...

If you own it outright and it's in decent nick, then sling it in the container. My biggest regret is leaving mine behind.