British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Do I take Chest Freezer or not? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/do-i-take-chest-freezer-not-720162/)

Lejamez Jun 8th 2011 6:17 pm

Do I take Chest Freezer or not?

Hey guys,

Currently having a 'discussion' with OH about whether to take our Chest Freezer to NZ or not. I think yes as have heard that white goods can be pricy and also I can't live without my freezer ;) He thinks no as there is no guarantee it will work when we finally plug it in and also that it takes up valuable space in the container. TBF we will have to get at least a 3/4 or full container anyway so I don't see what the problem is.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Laura :D

burbschook Jun 8th 2011 6:47 pm

Re: Do I take Chest Freezer or not?

Well we brought our chest freezer with us (4 years ago) & it's still working fine.
Could've sold it before hand but as it's a good one we didn't fancy buying in NZ.
Oh & despite what some people had suggested to us at the time, you can't fill it with anything, it has to be empty. So if space is a concern, you'll have to weigh the pros & cons. Lots of familiar named white goods here but more pricier than the UK.

Wessa Jun 8th 2011 7:46 pm

(Im in NZ, Family in UK still.)

We are struggling to keep the items down for our container, as much as you can load it up ive realised we would not fill it due to my shopping method here. I dont buy stuff like we do back home due to us not having Costco's out here, or anything close... A tower fridge/freezer should do. Half fridge and half freezer will do us i reckon. ;)

Tho if you do have room, bring it. You can always sell it easy enough.

Gary. :thumbup:

uknzbc Jun 8th 2011 8:18 pm

Yes bring it. If it is in good working order bring it with you and use it as a packing box and fill it we had pillows and such like with ours and it will work fine when you get here

BEVS Jun 9th 2011 12:10 am

Bring it. You'll be glad you did.

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 9th 2011 12:24 am

I concur. You'll need it to put all the fish you catch in ;)

ragdolls2 Jun 9th 2011 4:41 am

yes I agree bring it ours works fine - you might wanna get a home kill one day:)

sleepyone3 Jun 9th 2011 6:54 am

Yep, I'd say bring it, we were surprised how much whiteware cost when we arrived. I wished we'd bought our old microwave in the end!

Hellie73 Jun 10th 2011 4:37 am

If its not "nailed down" bring it. I have only just arrived and am shocked about the costs and quality over here. Still thinking in GBP. Have a look on some furniture/electrical websites this will help you decide. Our removers kept telling us that that we had no space left but in end we had ~50cufeet very cross with them.

Lejamez Jun 10th 2011 6:43 am

Hey guys,

thanks for all the advice - looks like we're taking it with us :thumbsup: Will have to check with shipping guys whether we can put quilts or other soft stuff in it to give us extra space but then its amazing what you can do with vacuum packs :) I think I'll be investing in several of them also......

Laura

Mrs Pointer Jun 15th 2011 8:26 am

We just stuck a new plug on our electrical appliances and they all work fine.

shirl Jun 15th 2011 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Lejamez (Post 9423588)
Hey guys,

thanks for all the advice - looks like we're taking it with us :thumbsup: Will have to check with shipping guys whether we can put quilts or other soft stuff in it to give us extra space but then its amazing what you can do with vacuum packs :) I think I'll be investing in several of them also......

Laura

We brought ours and we filled it up, the removal guys didn't bat an eyelid and we had all sorts of stuff in it and MAF never checked it anyway! Eventually though I sold it and got a small one as it took up way too much room in our garage, we like the cars to be kept in at night loL!!!! I still have a chest freezer and it gets full with all sorts of stuff and I have an upright f/f in the kitchen too and both are getting used. Bring it, you will be glad you did, especially if you get to be self sufficient!!!