Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do I have to switch visas into new passport

Do I have to switch visas into new passport

Old Feb 9th 2018, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Errrrrm is just really niceErrrrrm is just really niceErrrrrm is just really niceErrrrrm is just really niceErrrrrm is just really niceErrrrrm is just really niceErrrrrm is just really niceErrrrrm is just really nice
Default Do I have to switch visas into new passport

Hi

Mine and my daughters passport ( Uk passport)ran out last year so we renewed them, now we are due to go to the USA in 10 weeks and I’m thinking that maybe we need to get our permanent residence visas switched into the new passports.
Now my puzzle is...... I’ve been told that we can just carry both passports together and that will be fine.
But then I’m also thinking that it’s safer to get visas switched just incase you can’t carry both together. The cost is $190.00 each!!! Just fir switching a label.

So have any of you travelled with a new passport ( no visa label) alongside your old passport ( with visa label )

What should I do
Old Feb 10th 2018, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I have to switch visas into new passport

Originally Posted by Errrrrm
Now my puzzle is...... I’ve been told that we can just carry both passports together and that will be fine
Was this from a reliable source or a she'll be right Kiwi approach?

Best to check facts :

'If you have renewed your passport (because it has expired, was lost/stolen or your name has changed), you need to transfer your valid visa into your new passport before you use it to travel. This applies regardless of whether you have a physical visa label or an e-visa or other label-less visa.'

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a-new-passport
Old Feb 10th 2018, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

You have to swap it over. The old passport is not legal anymore neither are any documents in it
Its like going shopping and trying to pay for the goods with a photo of some money you used to have
I'm just sending mine off for the same thing
Its cheaper to get a new 10 year passport from the UK than it is to to get a new sticker put in the new one

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 10th 2018 at 2:08 am.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Was this from a reliable source or a she'll be right Kiwi approach?

Best to check facts :

'If you have renewed your passport (because it has expired, was lost/stolen or your name has changed), you need to transfer your valid visa into your new passport before you use it to travel. This applies regardless of whether you have a physical visa label or an e-visa or other label-less visa.'

OP, please listen to the official information Bo-Jangles has posted.

Don't dawdle, sometimes these things can hit unforeseen delays.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you MUST have the visa's transferred.
Did it recently myself at $186 or whatever it was.
You would be refused entry back in to NZ as you would not have a valid visa in your valid passport and you cannot use your old passport as that is now null and void.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 4:05 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Errrrrm
Now my puzzle is...... I’ve been told that we can just carry both passports together and that will be fine.
That would be wrong.

"If you have renewed your passport (because it has expired, was lost/stolen or your name has changed), you need to transfer your valid visa into your new passport before you use it to travel. This applies regardless of whether you have a physical visa label or an e-visa or other label-less visa."

Do not trust hearsay information when the actual answer is a simple google search away.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 5:42 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

yes you must have put into active passport,

You don't want any problems especially in USA