Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do I have to do the job?

Do I have to do the job?

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:22 pm
It might take a while!

Marjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to all
Default Do I have to do the job?

Hello everybody, just got off the phone to the nice people at NZIS, who were very helpful They have assured me that my quals are good enough this time, obviously spoke to a temp last time, which lifted my points to 130good times only to find out that LTSL doesn't include my skill anymore bad times. Points now down to 115

Anyway not to be to downhearted I was wondering if I got a job offer that qualified, meaning 165 points, and it all went through and I got PR. Would I still have to take that job when we arrived.

It may be it is a job I would like but it may be just an offer to get us there.

Thanks for listening

Martin
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:27 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Do I have to do the job?

There may be a condition on your resident visa which requires you to remain in employment with the employer that has made you the job offer. I have heard it is for the first three months after you arrive. After this time you go to your local NZIS and have the conditions removed and then you are free to look for any kind of work you like.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:59 pm
It might take a while!

Marjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to all

Originally Posted by happynz
There may be a condition on your resident visa which requires you to remain in employment with the employer that has made you the job offer. I have heard it is for the first three months after you arrive. After this time you go to your local NZIS and have the conditions removed and then you are free to look for any kind of work you like.
Thanks for that.

Would the job also have to offer $50k as it does in WTR or does it not matter for PR?

Martin
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:07 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Marjol
Thanks for that.

Would the job also have to offer $50k as it does in WTR or does it not matter for PR?

Martin
I can't say for WTR as I haven't gone down that route, but if you are a permanent resident and there are no conditions on your visa you should be free to pursue any avenue of employment or even open your own business.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:03 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to be pretty standard with Residency that you have a 'section 18' clause on your conditions. This means that you must remain with the employer for the first 3 months here and you will have to prove this too.

As for WTR, I believe you have to stay with the employer named on your permit for 2 years but I can't swear to that one, but someone more wiser than me will be along in a mo
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:06 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Seems to be pretty standard with Residency that you have a 'section 18' clause on your conditions. This means that you must remain with the employer for the first 3 months here and you will have to prove this too.

As for WTR, I believe you have to stay with the employer named on your permit for 2 years but I can't swear to that one, but someone more wiser than me will be along in a mo
Yep Same with my regular work permit, too. If I change jobs or companies, I need a new work permit.