British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Do I buy a trampoline? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/do-i-buy-trampoline-404924/)

SarahB Oct 29th 2006 7:39 am

Do I buy a trampoline?

Well, do I?

My DS is 3 next week and although birthday pressies already sorted I'm thinking of getting him a trampoline for christmas.

My OH is against it saying hes too young and wont use it much. If I get one it will be with full safety net and ladder. When we go round friends houses he makes a beeline for their trampolines. It seems like good exercise to me and my friends who have older children use them all the time too.

Your opinions will be valued... we are divided on this one..... thanks for your help

SarahB

Jack The Lad Oct 29th 2006 7:52 am

Re: Do I buy a trampoline?

Originally Posted by SarahB
Well, do I?

My DS is 3 next week and although birthday pressies already sorted I'm thinking of getting him a trampoline for christmas.

My OH is against it saying hes too young and wont use it much. If I get one it will be with full safety net and ladder. When we go round friends houses he makes a beeline for their trampolines. It seems like good exercise to me and my friends who have older children use them all the time too.

Your opinions will be valued... we are divided on this one..... thanks for your help

SarahB

You would think that in your condition your OH would love something to jump on :D

Buy one theyre great :)

SarahB Oct 29th 2006 7:55 am

Haha.... I even bounced on my mates trampoline the other day... although rather gently I have to say. :)

poppets Oct 29th 2006 9:02 am

Originally Posted by SarahB
Haha.... I even bounced on my mates trampoline the other day... although rather gently I have to say. :)

i asay get him one , it'll last for ages & loads of kids seem to have them here, i would if we had the space but then i'm a big kid :)

helinuk Oct 29th 2006 2:32 pm

Regretably they weren't around when our kids were small but I'd have bought one if they were- my son was hyperactive! :rolleyes:

Our neighbours have 3 young kids who use theirs all the time - without a net :scared: (I would be a nervous wreck )
go for it!

sky Oct 29th 2006 7:20 pm

We have a huge one without the nets and my kids love it, it's getting a bit worn so we're going to get another one to replace it soon

burton bunch Oct 29th 2006 7:49 pm

Just spotted this thread and had to tell you a tale of a lady that I know and a trampoline.

She bought one early this summer for her two daughters one being 8 and the other 11.

A few weeks after she bought the trampoline and the kids had been having a hay day the eldest daughter started to say her knee hurt. So being a good mum she takes her to the doctors who says she's just twisted it and Calpol to be given as necessary.

Now this went on for a good 6 - 7 weeks - daughter complaining of the pain various visits to different doctors and these different doctors saying Calpol to be given when necessary.

One day the girl woke up to absolute agony - that much that mum had to ring the paramedics to come out as she couldnt even move the girl.

What is the sorry end of this tale I hear you say .................

.......that would be that the girl broke her hip doing sit drops on the trampoline (it had all of the necessary safety stuff on it) :scared: . The paradeic told the mom that it was quite common for the pain to be felt in the leg as the pain would shoot downwards.

The break in the hip had been left untreated and therefore the bone has started to die and therefore she has had to have all kinds of ops to try and put it right, the accident (whatever it was and whenever it happened ) has also caused damaged to the femur and the girl is again going to have to have all sorts of operations to put it right. This girl was supervised on the trampoline and never fell off or banged herself on the metal frame. She will permanently walk with a limp and they do not know what kind of problems she will encounter in the future.

I am not an alarmist but this story shocked me to the core as my kids had been wanting one after playing on one in Canada at their cousins home - and now i have to say I would ABSOLUTELY NOT allow them to have one at all

Jack The Lad Oct 29th 2006 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Just spotted this thread and had to tell you a tale of a lady that I know and a trampoline.

She bought one early this summer for her two daughters one being 8 and the other 11.

A few weeks after she bought the trampoline and the kids had been having a hay day the eldest daughter started to say her knee hurt. So being a good mum she takes her to the doctors who says she's just twisted it and Calpol to be given as necessary.

Now this went on for a good 6 - 7 weeks - daughter complaining of the pain various visits to different doctors and these different doctors saying Calpol to be given when necessary.

One day the girl woke up to absolute agony - that much that mum had to ring the paramedics to come out as she couldnt even move the girl.

What is the sorry end of this tale I hear you say .................

.......that would be that the girl broke her hip doing sit drops on the trampoline (it had all of the necessary safety stuff on it) :scared: . The paradeic told the mom that it was quite common for the pain to be felt in the leg as the pain would shoot downwards.

The break in the hip had been left untreated and therefore the bone has started to die and therefore she has had to have all kinds of ops to try and put it right, the accident (whatever it was and whenever it happened ) has also caused damaged to the femur and the girl is again going to have to have all sorts of operations to put it right. This girl was supervised on the trampoline and never fell off or banged herself on the metal frame. She will permanently walk with a limp and they do not know what kind of problems she will encounter in the future.

I am not an alarmist but this story shocked me to the core as my kids had been wanting one after playing on one in Canada at their cousins home - and now i have to say I would ABSOLUTELY NOT allow them to have one at all

A sad story.

However I think that with the millions of people who trampoline everyday it is like a 10 million-1 chance that something like that will happen again.

sky Oct 29th 2006 8:15 pm

Yep you can't wrap them up in cotton wool.

Am Loolah Oct 29th 2006 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by sky
Yep you can't wrap them up in cotton wool.

We got an 18ft diameter one complete with safety net about 4 years ago now. It is the one toy/item of play equipment that has held their interest. We have never had any accidents, touch wood (although SIL nearly garotted herself with her handbag strap during a post-pub session!!)

We've included it in our quotes for shipping and are looking at replacing the net and 2 poles before we pack it up. The net gets abit mildewy(sp) and I'm not a cleaner of MAF standards!

Definately recommend it. Good outdoor exercise, great fun and we even send them out to it when they get too raucous to let off steam!!

danny.f Oct 29th 2006 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We got an 18ft diameter one complete with safety net about 4 years ago now. It is the one toy/item of play equipment that has held their interest. We have never had any accidents, touch wood (although SIL nearly garotted herself with her handbag strap during a post-pub session!!)

We've included it in our quotes for shipping and are looking at replacing the net and 2 poles before we pack it up. The net gets abit mildewy(sp) and I'm not a cleaner of MAF standards!

Definately recommend it. Good outdoor exercise, great fun and we even send them out to it when they get too raucous to let off steam!!

It's one of the first things we will get when we get there (with safety netting etc) go for it!

karonious Oct 30th 2006 7:18 am

Hi Sarah,
we intend to get one for our daughter's birthday, she will be 11 in November. They look like good fun and I remember how great it was from my own childhood.
Hopefully, being aware of the comment from the burton bunch would encourage us to take more notice of any aches and pains our children present with and be extra vigilant on that front. Thanks Burton bunch - I wasn't aware of that and have taken it on board.
You have always come across as a very responsible parent so I don't imagine for a moment that you would let your son use it without supervision - in which case, get one and enjoy!

SarahB Oct 30th 2006 7:22 am

I still havnt decided yet... I just dont know whether to get one or not. Hopefully, I'll make up my mind in the next day or two as christmas really isnt that far away is it? :eek:

Thanks for all your comments though... I've certainly taken them on board. Its gonna be nice (apparently) over the next few days so hopefully my son can get to play on a friends tramp.

cypherpunk Oct 30th 2006 7:28 am

My nephew broke his back on a trampoline (yes, he was being an idiot, thankfully he recovered) so I have resisted the pressure to get one. However the springfree ones look almost idiot-proof, but they are expensive.

SarahB Oct 30th 2006 7:35 am

Originally Posted by cypherpunk
My nephew broke his back on a trampoline (yes, he was being an idiot, thankfully he recovered) so I have resisted the pressure to get one. However the springfree ones look almost idiot-proof, but they are expensive.

I had a look at this website the other day. Yes, they look good dont they. I'm hoping my little lad will be ok if I get one with full safety netting. He plays on my mates one with her son and we just leave them to it... it has a ladder and full nets. A friend here got one from Rebel Sports but the pads have all disintegrated and they have promised to repair it but no joy so far. I cant afford a very expensive one but some of the ones on TradeMe look good and the feedback is mainly good.