British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   DIY WANTED DOWN UNDER - THE RESULT (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/diy-wanted-down-under-result-597029/)

bolton1 Mar 12th 2009 6:06 am

DIY WANTED DOWN UNDER - THE RESULT

Hello all not sure if I am posting info in the right place but here goes. I am doing this at 5.37am UK time as body clock still a bit dodgy.

Our DIY trip was fantastic ( even though it rained ) so here goes:

JOBS
Me - Had brilliant opportunities to meet potential employers and get a really good insight into how different children's services work that included Child & Family services, fostering & mental health.
A lot of hard work & planning went into this but so worth it. Covered Hamilton, Waikato & Tauranga .

OH - met with agents and really good understanding of how skills & knowledge fits NZ systems.

We are now aware of potential job opportunities that are coming up & been encouraged to apply. Also have a good idea of working environment , hours etc & feel more confident that our skills are transferable.

HOUSES
Spent a FULL day looking at houses for sale, to rent & land to build . So are clear what we can afford and where we want to be.

LIFESTYLE / FRIENDS
The environment & beauty was spectacular. The driving & getting around was easy ( we took a sat nav as well though) the food choices fab. We even went to Bunnings ( like B&Q ) as OH wanted to see range of DIY stuff , cost etc .
We met lots of people, joined in at the pub, played bingo ( my friends are still taking the mickey) & went out for dinner with our hosts Bob & Jude. Also invited out by the estate agent Martin & met his family . It was so lovely. We wanted to make the most of our stay & certainly feel we would be able to make friends.

We even managed a visit to the famous Jarvis Butchers - & had a night with them & friends which was lovely.

Sorry not to have met up with more of you who are in Papamoa but perhaps next time.( Am Loolah - hope you got my message - a large glass of wine or 2 next time ?)

TOURISTY BITS
Went up Sky Tower in Auckland , strolled along the harbour it is a very beautiful place. Didn't do lots of sight seeing as not had time but did take lots of photo's on our journey.

The week was quite mad and very full on. It took lots of planning & organising and we packed loads in but enjoyed all of it.

Overall for us the choice is clear - New Zealand . The research is sooo important though and the wages are lower than in the U.K & it is very far away but for us it will be our new home .:D

MOSO Mar 12th 2009 7:12 am

Re: DIY WANTED DOWN UNDER - THE RESULT

Great news - glad you enjoyed your reccie. I agree with you that it's well worth it to get a feel for the place and meet prospective employers face-to-face as well as seeing what New Zealand houses (or is that sheds) are like - can we live without radiators?!!!

Let's hope we can get out there soon - come on Gordon Brown - help the housing market please!!!

kiwinow Mar 12th 2009 8:18 am

Re: DIY WANTED DOWN UNDER - THE RESULT

Radiators? What are they? Lol.
Down here you'll need either a wood burner, gas heater or a heat pump. Or a combination of the above. :D